wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
Press Gazette 

General Manager Ted Thompson looked at the Green Bay Packers draft board and saw two players at positions of need he couldnt have been sure would be there at No. 32 overall: DaQuan Bowers, an outside linebacker with a bad knee from Clemson, and Derek Sherrod, a tackle from Mississippi State.

Bowers was the longer shot to still be on the board because of his pure physical talent. He had 15 sacks last season and might have been a top-five prospect if not for the left-knee injury he played through last season that required arthroscopic surgery in January. He also represented a high risk-reward because of concerns about the long-term health of his knee.

Sherrod generally was regarded as the fifth-best tackle prospect in this draft and still was on the board in large part because Wisconsin tackle Gabe Carimi was there for the Chicago Bears to take three picks earlier, at No. 29 overall, for their undermanned offensive line. If Carimi had been gone, the smart money says the Bears would have taken Sherrod.

Looking at Bowers and Sherrod, Thompson opted for the offensive lineman to help protect his franchise quarterback.

Considering Bowers playmaking talent, Thompson must have shared the medical concerns about taking him in the first round and presumably thought the knee was too great a risk for microfracture surgery, which is a hit-or-miss procedure that can shorten or diminish careers.

Sherrod, on the other hand, had a clean bill of health, a clean background and is a big man who might be able to play either tackle. Along with last years first-round pick, Bryan Bulaga, he offers a bookend to protect quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

We think its really good value to get a big man that late in the first round that we feel like can come in and help us, Thompson said Thursday night. Where hes going to play I dont know. But I know this: You can never have too many big men.

Going into Thursday night, it looked like the Packers might be just a few spots off landing an offensive linemen with a first-round grade.

But along with four quarterbacks going in the first round, there were two relative surprise picks ahead of them with Seattle taking Alabama tackle James Carpenter at No. 25 overall and Kansas City selecting Pittsburgh receiver Jonathan Baldwin at No. 26. That almost assured the Packers would be looking at least one and possibly more offensive or defensive linemen that they would have projected more likely than not would have been gone.

Chicago took Carimi at No. 29, and then at Nos. 30 and 31 the New York Jets and Pittsburgh Steelers selected defensive ends for their 3-4 schemes who probably would have interested the Packers: Muhammad Wilkerson, who many scouts thought was a top-20 prospect, to the Jets, and Ohio States Cameron Heyward to the Steelers.

Bowers fall out of the first round was one of the bigger surprises of this draft. Though his stock fell this offseason because of concerns about his knee, which his mediocre workout for NFL scouts earlier this month failed to alleviate, many scouts still thought he was too talented a player to last much past the 20th pick.

For teams that play 3-4 defenses, Bowers probably would be an outside linebacker even though hes 280 pounds, which is 10 to 15 pounds heavier that the biggest players who usually play there, and 20 to 30 pounds heavier than the average OLB. He also would have offered the flexibility in the nickel defense of playing as a standup outside rusher or an inside rusher.

Bowers' fall from the first round means a high number of teams thought the medical risk too great for the money invested in a first-round pick.

With Bowers off the Packers first-round list, Sherrod by all appearances was an easy selection for them. There were other players on the board they might have felt fine about taking at 32, such as Arizona outside linebacker Brooks Reed, UCLA outside linebacker Akeem Ayers and maybe Texas cornerback Aaron Williams. But they also might have been able to trade back a few spots and still get one of them.

Once it got to us we were ready to go, Thompson said. We felt real comfortable there.

Sherrod has many of the characteristics besides football talent that Thompson favors in the first round, most notably a clean background that includes already having graduated from school. He also has the physical traits teams look for in tackles to go with his height and weight, including long arms (35 3/8 inches) and huge hands (11 inches).

Thompson wouldnt commit to where the Packers will play Sherrod, but they could try him as a backup at either right or left tackle, or have him compete for the starting job at left guard. If hes ready to start immediately at right tackle and the Packers consider that his best position, they also could move Bulaga to starting left guard, where he then would have an easier transition whenever he becomes the starting left tackle.

The pick again shows the value Thompson places on getting bigger players early in drafts.

Historically speaking, (former GM) Ron (Wolf) and I used to talk about this all the time, Thompson said. as you go through a lot of drafts, different years theres a different kind of player (available in the first round), but if you can get quality big men, you always kind of lean that way.

The Packers no doubt were interested as Alabama running back Mark Ingram remained on the board as the first round moved into the mid-20s. He probably would have been impossible to pass up because of the dimension he might have added to their offense, but New Orleans traded back into the first round at No. 28 overall and selected him.

Thompson gave little indication about whether he tried to move up to get Ingram. New Orleans gave up its second-round pick in this draft (No. 56 overall) plus a first-rounder next year to get Ingram at No. 28.

We talked to some people early on, Thompson said of the possibility of moving up. Most of these talks were sort of fishing just to see, just to make sure.

UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago

I think it would probably be best to either set him up at right of left tackle, with Bulaga at the other position, and let him develop. However, Thompson says he's not committing to that, so perhaps he can cover the guard position for a season? As long as he bulks up and improves, he should allow flexibility along the offensive line.

Wade, hush now!! =)

"wpr" wrote:

Not yet.

I still want a big honking OG. Maybe Marcus Cannon or Ijafala.

Then a late round extra OL of any kind.

Then I'll hush. :)

"Wade" wrote:

Wow Wade stayed up through the whole first round. Kudos to you. I am very impressed.

"doddpower" wrote:

Primarily because I didn't get home from work until pick #23 and I was pissed that it was Watkins. 🙂
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

-Here are some comments from Packers first-round pick Derek Sherrod: 

* On the wait until the 32nd pick: "It was a little bit of a long wait. I'm very happy with the pick."
* On whether the Packers had shown particular interest in him: "Not actually. It's a really great program and the organization is definitely a great one. I'm very excited to come there."
* On whether he can play left or right tackle "I'm very confident in that). I played both positions at my career in Mississippi State. I'm confident I can flip around and play where they want me to."
* Were the Packers on the phone with you before their pick even came up? "They called me a couple minutes before the pick. I knew a little before they made the pick."
* Were you worried about having to wait until Friday to get picked? "Throughout the whole thing I always kept my faith, once GB decided to pick me i was really excited."
* Did you watch the Packers in the Super Bowl? "Yeah, i watched the Super Bowl. It's a really hard-working team. Everybody from where I'm from was rooting for the Packers. They had the Lombardi trophy in their sights and they went and got it."
* Where were you when you got picked and were you affected by the storms that ripped through the South? "I watched it in my hometown in Columbus, Mississippi. We experienced a power outage last night. but luckly there was no physical damage. But some nearby towns were devastated."
* Is it true that you didn't give up a sack in all four years and is that the strength of your game? "I gave up a few my freshman and sophomore years. That's definitely a part of my game. I make sure every single down I win that down. I make sure I dominate my opponent."
* Are you looking forward to meeting Aaron Rodgers? "I'm definitely looking forward to meeting Aaron Rodgers."
* How would you describe yourself as a player? "I'm an all-around guy. I think I can do everything. I don't give up sacks, I've been a very successful player at Mississippi State. I'm a very athletic, intelligent player."
* What can you improve on? I feel like I can improve my strength. You can always get stronger. I can always learn more about the game of football."
* What would you be doing if you weren't playing football? "I'd probably go back and finish my Master's. That's one of my goals that I want to acheive."
* Do you feel you're more of a cerebral player than a physical one? "I feel like I'm (physical). As an offensive lineman, you have to be big, strong and nasty. You can't (edit spelling) walk into the NFL and not be that way. "

Some tidbits from the Packers draft:

* Sherrod will wear No. 78. Allen Barbre was the last draft pick to wear that number.
* Teams can send playbooks home with the rookies, but the Packers won't. They'll wait to get the players in for rookie orientation (provided there is one).
* LB Clay Matthews said on his Twitter account, "Protect the franchise!:
* From OL T.J. Lang: "Welcome to the bay Sherrod"
* DE Cullen Jenkins, a free agent to be, was active on Twitter: "Hmmm. Wonder who would want me. So many good DLinemen in da draft."
* And he answered, "Maybe" to this question From Matt_Likes_Beer: Good DEs but GB didn't take one. Glimmer of hope?

Stop the madness. Burn that number and never use it again. "Anti retire" it.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
#12 survived.
#77 survived.

I think #78 can survive. I think of Ross Verba, not Allen "turn me round, right round" Barbre.
UserPostedImage
12 years ago

He will hit the weight room hard, I think, as will all of our draft picks. It looks like he has some room for improvement there.

"wpr" wrote:

I expect nothing less from these young men than to get into "NFL shape". They won't have any easy games like they did in college.
Last year Miss St faced Memphis 1-11, the feared Alcorn St 5-6, Houston 5-7, UAB 4-8. In state rival Ole Miss 4-8 and of course Michigan . :blackeye:

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I don't know man, I think I'd rather play Carolina and Denver than some of those teams. :lol:
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
Acme Packing Co 
Who Did The Packers Pass On In The First Round?

LT Derek Sherrod was my pick for the Green Bay Packers at the end of the first round for the last couple weeks. But he wasn't everyone's pick, and they did pass on a few players who might have been better choices.

Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers. He wasn't someone who was mentioned at this site in connection with the Packers because we all expected to him to be long gone. He was a top 5 pick before knee troubles surfaced, and he was rumored to have slipped into the later part of the first round after Clemson's pro day didn't convince teams that his knee was sound. When healthy, he's a complete player who can dominate against the run and rush the quarterback. But knee troubles are something to be taken seriously. Think back to DE Jamal Reynolds.

UCLA LB Akeem Ayers. He's not the next Clay Matthews, and his ceiling might be the next LB Nick Barnett. He's a quality player, but a slow 40 time at the NFL combine began his slide down draft boards. A very productive player in college who could have been a solid outside linebacker.

Georgia LB Justin Houston. He was frequently mentioned as a pick for the Packers on this site, but he didn't help himself by testing positive for marijuana at the combine. He remains one of the best pass rushers available. He played end and linebacker in college, and maybe the Packers didn't believe he could drop back into coverage in the NFL.

Arizona LB Brooks Reed. A player who didn't impress in college, but was a workout star at the combine. And he's been frequently linked to the Packers. Apparently every late first round outside linebacker candidate was a possibility, and apparently the Packers weren't blown away by any of them.

Illinois RB Mikel Leshoure. Not a huge need, with the expected return of RB Ryan Grant, and the emergence of RB James Starks, but he could have been a replacement for free agent RB Brandon Jackson. Obviously the Packers didn't feel they needed to replace Jackson (if they decide to replace him at all) with a first round pick.

Texas CB Aaron Williams. Cornerback wasn't a big need, but they could add depth and Williams would have been a likely candidate. Miami CB Brandon Harris is another similar, short, cornerback.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
AP Wire via Washington Times 

Most of the info here has been in other publications.

The Green Bay Packers didnt seem like a team with any glaring needs going into the draft, so the Super Bowl champions made a big addition to their long-term protection plan for quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Green Bay beefed up its offensive line with the final pick in Thursday nights first round, taking Mississippi State tackle Derek Sherrod. He said he cant wait to meet Rodgers _ and cant wait to prove he can help keep the quarterback upright on the field.

Im basically there to protect him, Sherrod said. Thats what I do.

With the selection of the 6-5, 321-pound Sherrod, the Packers now have used their first-round pick on an offensive tackle in back-to-back drafts. Green Bay took Iowas Bryan Bulaga last year.

Clearly, the Packers have made keeping Rodgers safe a priority.

You like to keep him safe, Packers general manager Ted Thompson said. You certainly do.

Although Sherrod played left tackle in college, Thompson wouldnt commit to having him play on that side in the pros.

Where hes going to play, I dont know, but I know this: You can never have too many big men, Thompson said. The more run blockers, the more pass blockers we have, the better off we do.

According to a scouting report distributed by the Packers, Sherrod started 36 of 47 career games at left tackle for the Bulldogs.

Mississippi State was second in the SEC and 16th in the nation with an average of 214.85 yards rushing per game last season, according to the report, and Sherrod did not allow any of the 23 sacks given up by the Bulldogs offensive line last season. He earned a bachelors degree in business in August 2010, graduating with a 3.54 grade point average. Sherrod will wear No. 78 for the Packers.

In many ways, the Packers went into the draft looking like a team with few pressing needs.

Even beyond winning the title last year, the Packers expect to bring back a wave of high-profile injured players from last season, including running back Ryan Grant and tight end Jermichael Finley.

But there were a few specific areas Thompson might have been tempted to target.

One was the offensive line. The Packers took Bulaga last year with the intention of making him their left tackle of the future. But Bulaga ended up filling in _ and playing well _ at right tackle after an injury to veteran Mark Tauscher last season.

Veteran Chad Clifton played well at left tackle for the Packers last year, but Green Bay needs a long-term replacement plan for him. Its not clear whether that will be Sherrod or Bulaga, but now they at least have multiple options.

Sherrod said he was very confident he could play either tackle spot.

We think he has the versatility, the athletic ability to play a number of spots, Thompson said. Well see how it works out. You never know how its going to work out, but hes a good football player.

Another area of potential need was at outside linebacker, where the Packers paired several players with Clay Matthews last year. UCLAs Akeem Ayers and Arizonas Brooks Reed still were available when the Packers made their pick.

Green Bay also could have been looking for help at defensive end, given the fact that Cullen Jenkins is expected to leave via free agency and Johnny Jollys NFL future remains unclear after another round of legal trouble. The Packers presumably drafted the player they expect to replace Jenkins last year _ second-round pick Mike Neal, who showed ability before a season-ending shoulder injury.

Ohio State defensive end Cam Heyward went off the board just before the Packers picked, going to the Pittsburgh Steelers, the team the Packers beat in the Super Bowl.

Going into later rounds, the Packers also could use help in the return game and depth at wide receiver.

Green Bay also was linked to Alabama running back Mark Ingram in the run-up to the draft, but the New Orleans Saints moved up in a trade to take him at No. 28.

Thompson said the Packers did entertain some trade talks, but they didnt sound particularly serious.

We talked to some people early on, but most of these talks were sort of fishing, Thompson said.

UserPostedImage
Yerko
12 years ago
I like this pick a lot. Contrary to the expert reports, I think Sherrod will fit well with the Packers both on a playing level and people level. Reading some of these reports, you'd think Sherrod was some sort of scrub...yet he was in the 1st round of every official mock draft created. Thinking of Sherrod and Bulaga manning the ends of our offensive line for years to come is amazing.

All the players listed that the Packers "passed up" to get Sherrod are still available in the 2nd and if Ted Thompson wants one of them, he will end up getting one. Packers have 7 draft picks left (2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7?) and can easily weasel their way down to an earlier pick in the 2nd round for an Akeem Ayers, Justin Houston or Brooks Reed.

In Ted Thompson I trust.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
S. B. Sepstead

Derek Sherrod This certainly was not a slam dunk pick for the Packers. They did come away with the best pass blocking OT left on their board, and there was quite a gap between Sherrod and the next OT that they felt could fit their system. They did think about trading up for Solder and Castonzo, but both players came off the board a little before the area they targeted with a trading partner. Carimi was not an option as they didnt see him as a good fit. This is a player that initially they rated back a little (system/demeanor), but was moving up on their board leading up to the draft. Dont expect them to call him the heir apparent to Clifton for one they dont want to put that pressure on him, still some unknown here because of the spread style offense he played in at Mississippi State. Also, theyll want to see if he can fill in at other positions if needed like they did last year with Bulaga. Make no mistake though they drafted him with the intention of making him the future Left Tackle.

The Pros - He gets downgraded by some for a lack of athleticism for the Left Tackle position. The Packers dont agree. This is one of the quickest tackles in space that has come out in the past two years. He also has displayed very good footwork setting up against the pass rush. Hes a smart guy that should have no problem picking up the offense and learning. One of the major knocks on Bulaga was his short arms, short hands, and lack of top athleticism for the LT position in the NFL. Sherrod has none of those issues- 35.29 arm length (Bulaga 33.3), 11 hands (9.3 Bulaga), and would have been at the top of the list for the 3-Cone and 20-yard shuttle (NFL Combine) had he come out last year.

The Cons - Its very hard to project how he will do in the NFL based on the offense they ran at Mississippi State- this was and is the big knock on him. He needs to improve both his lower body and upper body strength. Doesnt have the real fiery attitude on the field you like to see. You hear the term mean streak used- the Packers are a team that looks for this, and Sherrod hasnt displayed it in college.

Overall The Packers are one of the teams that believed he could become a LT in the NFL. They like his skill-set and think with a year of work and study they could have the answer for Clifton when he eventually exits. He is a bit of a project, but if Chad Clifton can survive another year that should give Derek some time to learn the pro game and get stronger.

UserPostedImage
warhawk
12 years ago
I said very early in this draft discussion that the Packers could pick projects because they are not pressed with need.

I don't see any OT's in this draft other than possibly the first guy that went off being any more ready to play than Sherrod. Carimi and these other players will have just as big of a learning curve as our guy.

He needs to get stronger. Big deal. He will and we don't need him week 1 anyhow.
"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15m) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (16m) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (36m) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (1h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (17h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.