nerdmann
8 years ago
Stay out of trouble, freaks!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
7 years ago
Spring is here !

Break out the Grills and the Bar-b-que sauce !

Grill on Baby !!! [giddity]

[cheers] [cheers] [cheers]
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago

Spring is here !

Break out the Grills and the Bar-b-que sauce !

Grill on Baby !!! [giddity]

[cheers] [cheers] [cheers]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I got the grill out last weekend and cooked a couple of steaks.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
7 years ago
A recent visit with my Dr. has revealed that my LDL Cholesterol is higher than it should be. This has started me to take a closer look at my diet.

I have already discovered some foods that will work in my favor. Nuts (like walnuts) , oatmeal , beans , dark chocolate , and Wine are some of the best things to help one lower their bad cholesterol level. Foods like fruits and vegetables that provide fiber for the diet are also encouraged. Apples, pears, celery, carrots, and the like are good examples.

Avoiding fatty foods and trans-fats is also another prime goal. Eating less beef and pork in favor of more fish and chicken is highly advised.

Daily exercise is also recommended in most advise offerings. In addition, losing weight and reducing stress are also recommended.

I have posted here in this thread in the hope that any advice on Item's that are good for a healthy cholesterol lowering diet will be offered. I'm looking for recipes, snacks, drinks, etc.

I've not read anything that has yet to call Beer bad for one (other than the calories) .
[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
7 years ago
With a few week of Summer still remaining, it would be great to hear about some of the feast this forums members attended this Spring/Summer . I had grilled Tuna and grilled veggies that was wonderful . Then another time it was good ole grilled Hamburgers and Hot Dogs with all the trimmings. Then more than once grilled Chicken was the main fare. Seems like most reserve grilling Pork until the Fall . I just love E. North Carolina vinegar Bar-B-Que , WOW !
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
7 years ago
Winter is upon us as we celebrate the Packer's 38/13 victory over the NY Giants. In addition, many of us have just gotten our first real 2017 Winter Snowfall. All of this directs me to think of hearty hot meals that not only thaw our bones out, but offer us a savory treat that we don't normally make as we usually don't want to add extra heat into our homes. I'm talking about breaking out those Crock Pots and slow cooking one of those severely tender and unabashedly healthy meals that fill the whole house with it's rich aroma.

There are of course many great winter treats that we can prepare in our Crock Pots. Some of my personal favorites include Beef Vegetable Soup, and Beans (whatever you prefer) seasoned with/or to include a good cut of pork and maybe some chopped onions, and of a necessity my favorite Beef Stew with my favorite veggies. You may have a good Chicken recipe that takes you back to the days when you would come home from grade school and step into the world of your family's love assaulting your nose as you removed coats, scarves, and caps.

Cooking is sometimes a way of expressing love by those that don't really know any other way . It could be your Aunt, or a Sister/brother, or an Uncle, or maybe a life long friend. It might not fit their personality to verbally express there feelings, but by cooking/serving some special creation, they are able to non-verbally express themselves.

I could now post one or two of my favored Crock Pot meals, but I'd most enjoy reading and perhaps making one of this forums member's recipe/s . Is there a great chili recipe out there, or a flavorful soup that we can enjoy making/eating. Perhaps a delicious idea that I've not even approached. No one want's to steal another's recipe for some evil purpose, but the idea is the friendly sharing of information that may warm a heart or bring a smile to a young child's face. I'll be happy to share, just this season I'd like for another to lead a little first. [cool]

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
7 years ago
Slow cooking a corned beef brisket with cabbage, small red potatoes, baby carrots in a beef broth for 12 hours is one of my wife's favorites. (I admit, I like it too!)
Makes the beef SOOOO tender, you don't need a knife! And you get the taste cooked through your taters!
YUM!!!
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
7 years ago

Slow cooking a corned beef brisket with cabbage, small red potatoes, baby carrots in a beef broth for 12 hours is one of my wife's favorites. (I admit, I like it too!)
Makes the beef SOOOO tender, you don't need a knife! And you get the taste cooked through your taters!
YUM!!!

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Sir, you have earned my respect with this post. I pitty those that have no understanding of the finer things in life.

Do you like Blackeyed Peas or prehaps Baby Lima Beans. If so, then I have a recipe for you .

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
7 years ago

Sir, you have earned my respect with this post. I pitty those that have no understanding of the finer things in life.

Do you like Blackeyed Peas or prehaps Baby Lima Beans. If so, then I have a recipe for you .

[cheers]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

My wife likes them, but I never had a recipe for them! I'd love to have a recipe!
I love to cook! It's one of the few things I'm good at.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
7 years ago
Cheesey, this post is mainly for you and your wife, enjoy.

Black-eyed Peas or Baby Lima Beans are not only among my favorites, but some of the easiest to prepare.
If you choose the Blacked Peas, then I recommend the dried ones. They should be rinsed with fresh water using a colander and many recommend pre-soaking in water for 3 to 4 hours prior to cooking. As for me I just rinse and cook, placing trust in the slow cooker. The Baby Lima Beans I buy frozen because the smaller the better. The dried ones tend to run too large.

Now, place your Black-eyed Peas or Baby Lima Beans (cleaned) into your Slow Cooker. Add enough water to raise the level to fill half of your pot. Turn on the pot to Medium to get the heat up in the pot.

Next, if you like onion, chop up 1 to 2 large yellow onions to as large a size as you prefer, and add it in the pot. I don't recommend chopping your onion/s small as over time they will disappear into the broth.

Last, but most important, you need to add a full package of Country (salty) Ham . There are different cuts and thickness's , but I like the package that says it is for Ham & Biscuits. This size disperses well into the Peas/Beans. If the salt content concerns you, rinsing the meat is ok, but I don't recommend it as this is your seasoning. As long as you don't add any more salt, you should be ok. About a tablespoon of black pepper is often added at this point if it suits you.

By now the level in your pot should be about 3/4 full. Your Peas/Beans , onion, and ham are getting very hot and have started to cook. Carefully add enough water to bring the level up to about 1 inch from the rim. Cover, place the heat level on 2 (1 to 5 scale), and let it slow cook a minimum of 8 to 10 hours. Check and taste about every hour.

The whole process is mainly about patience. This is NOT fast food, but elegant Southern dining. You could start your pot at night before you go to bed, it will be just fine when you check it the next morning. You will of course need to add more water, but don't fill to more than 1 inch of the rim. Generally I start a pot about 9 or 10 pm and slow cook until 6 pm the next day. Like chili, these Peas/Beans are even better on the second day. I have keep a pot of Peas/Beans hot for as much as 3 days, you can do this as long as you keep it hot. I don't recommend adding additional water once you start enjoying them. Left overs will keep for a few days in a proper container in the refrigerator, I have never tried to freeze any.

If I missed anything, or you need further information, then I will do my best to supply an answer.

Let me know if you try it and how it turned out.

Oh yeah, I just remembered, I like to serve in a soup bowl with freshly baked Cornbread on the side. They go well together.

ENJOY !

UserPostedImage