Zero2Cool
a year ago

No one is saying all teachers should be armed.
If they are being considered to carry, they would have to go through all kinds of tests to make sure they are safe.
If someone starts shooting at a school, if they have to wait for the police, how many die as they wait? And when the cops do get there, there have been times where they don't even go right in to try to stop the killer.
An armed person inside the school might be able to save innocent lives.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I don't think anyone was saying ALL teachers should be armed. They should have to go through all the checks to make sure they are mentally safe to carry.
If you have to wait for the police to get there, chances are many kids and teachers will already be dead.
At a school shooting recently, the cops were there and didn't go inside to stop the gunman.
Had there been some armed teachers, it might have saved lives.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Sorry, Alan, it has been said. I don't think it's some wide sweeping agenda driven thing though so relax. Some teachers spoke out against it saying they are not comfortable with a firearm and do not want to have one. Hell, some people have said we should outlaw cars because someone ran a car through a parade. It has been said. It doesn't mean there's some big threat of it happening.

Yes, trained officers who vowed to SERVE AND PROTECT didn't go inside to stop a gunman, but Mrs Johnsons with her glock 9 will save the day, right? Seriously, enough already. I'm not some moron who can't think critically. There's too much gun violence, so let's equip more people with guns. That's how I'm going to tackle financial debt. I'll just pile more debt on top of it. Brilliant strategy.

You know they've done studies and exercises with this kind of thing right? Where they had people trained to use guns and put them in situations where they had to draw, aim and pull the trigger? You know what happened? No, you don't because it wouldn't fit your narrative or agenda.

Sorry, Alan, I just don't think equipping some teachers (not all, I'll roll with you) is the answer. If you want to talk about putting armed veteran or two in every school, I'm all for that. Civilian teachers with a gun in the class room with children? Nah, sorry, that's ... I'm going to stop right there because it's just insane.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

What they should do is arm the children. They have the upper hand in terms of numbers and usually don't fully understand what they're doing. Something that really helps when you have to kill a man.

I can see some kind of collaboration between Glock and Nerf to make some brightly colored kid guns. Good news for the economy, as well.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Rubber bullets could be effective. Might save lives.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
a year ago
This isn't even where the debate lies. The conundrum lies in how to get the guns out of the hands of our inner city youth without impinging on the rights of the average American that wants or feels they have a need to possess and/or carry a firearm. It has far more to do with the judicial system than gun control laws themselves. I am old, it's true. I have no problem with more restrictive gun control measures if coupled with a serious reversal of all of these nonsensical progressive social justice initiatives to keep criminals out of the jail they belong in. I no longer hunt, hell, I put the fish back, but I wouldn't dream of imposing my perspectives there on another. Go look at what is about to occur in Illinois effective Jan 1st and tell me that the lack of gun control laws that I have no idea would be impactful are a more negative than those laws.. It is almost insurmountable as a subject as long as it is placed squarely in the center of political debate, and manipulated there.
Zero2Cool
a year ago
Oprah. She cracks me up!
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

This isn't even where the debate lies. The conundrum lies in how to get the guns out of the hands of our inner city youth without impinging on the rights of the average American that wants or feels they have a need to possess and/or carry a firearm.

It has far more to do with the judicial system than gun control laws themselves. I am old, it's true. I have no problem with more restrictive gun control measures if coupled with a serious reversal of all of these nonsensical progressive social justice initiatives to keep criminals out of the jail they belong in. I no longer hunt, hell, I put the fish back, but I wouldn't dream of imposing my perspectives there on another.

Go look at what is about to occur in Illinois effective Jan 1st and tell me that the lack of gun control laws that I have no idea would be impactful are a more negative than those laws.. It is almost insurmountable as a subject as long as it is placed squarely in the center of political debate, and manipulated there.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

I absolutely agree. Goes in line with my stance that we have people problem, not really a gun problem.

When a shooting happens, I think people get reactive instead of looking at the root cause of the problem. And also the big picture too.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
a year ago
I have one more thing to say. If you opt to purchase a singular firearm for self-defense, make it a short-barreled model 870 Remington shotgun. They have had that weapon out for years. Do not go sawing off shotguns, that is illegal. Load the tubular magazine. Do not chamber a round. Put it under your bed. If you have children, unfortunately you have to lock this weapon with a trigger lock. Put 7 shot in the weapon. Yes, 7 shot, not 00 buck, etc. Your bedroom is at most 15 feet from the door, even the wad is deadly at this range. Why an 870? Absolutely the most reliable pump shotgun ever built. Why an unchambered pump? Every intruder on the planet knows the sound of a pump shotgun getting chambered. 12 guage, of course.
dyeah_gb
a year ago

I have one more thing to say. If you opt to purchase a singular firearm for self-defense, make it a short-barreled model 870 Remington shotgun. They have had that weapon out for years. Do not go sawing off shotguns, that is illegal. Load the tubular magazine. Do not chamber a round. Put it under your bed. If you have children, unfortunately you have to lock this weapon with a trigger lock. Put 7 shot in the weapon. Yes, 7 shot, not 00 buck, etc. Your bedroom is at most 15 feet from the door, even the wad is deadly at this range. Why an 870? Absolutely the most reliable pump shotgun ever built. Why an unchambered pump? Every intruder on the planet knows the sound of a pump shotgun getting chambered. 12 guage, of course.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Shotguns are the most versatile self defense weapons out there and you are correct that the penetration distance is something to worry about so make sure you know to direct fire away from your family in the house. Probably stating the obvious to many but will just add to make sure you go the range regularly to get used to managing the recoil and accuracy. If you live in the middle of nowhere, you may have the luxury of just going in your backyard!

Finally, I will just mention that i made an effort right away to teach my kids trigger discipline, how to verify it is unchambered and muzzle awareness at all times. I think because of this, I have removed the mystique of these tools and it is not even cool because dad is interested in it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman