Porforis
8 years ago

It would be helpful if you shared who you think the problem is. This is a no holds barred out of the shadows above board post on how to fix this place or make it better. The above doesn't get that done...it makes veiled accusations. Remove the veil so when someone assumes it's them it can't be said that it's really all about them.

You were one I considered one of the more intelligent voices here, yet, you were the same voice comparing Jarrett Boykin to Alshon Jeffery saying they were basically the same player. I will put that out of the shadows. Is this to "stir the pot" or "troll"? No. You haven't a clue what a troll is. Here is what a troll is not...

A person with a a strong opinion that is vastly different than yours who is not afraid to tell you about it.

I'm not sorry if me getting on to you about calling Boykin Jeffery is why you left here. I do agree that it has to be determined what you want this site to be. Do you want it to be a place where guys like Davante Adams is being compared to Sterling Sharpe and Jarrett Boykin being compared to Alshon Jeffery or do we want maybe a touch more balance. Sure, everyone has an opinion and the two in this paragraph were two of them but they were both insane to me and I posted as much. How is that trolling? You want to set your hair on fire and I tell you that's stupid and will hurt don't scream TROLL! ...and I'm just as entitled to my opinion as yours. Yes, yes, you are but you should be willing and able to take the scrutiny of what your post contains within. If you can't you're very likely to scream TROLL!... Pot Stirrer! because you have nothing to come back with an to avoid looking dim and uneducated you have to shift the focus off yourself and put it onto the person with the more intelligent opinion. Honestly, let's get it out in the open...while not the smartest guy in the world if you want to quantify Packers intelligence some are not very high on that list at all. That's a reality. How do you handle that when you have some way above the curve here and many well below. Should those atop the curve dumb down their postings to not hurt the feelings of those below the curve? No. Absolutely, not, or you get a dumber board. I like to harp on Nerd as he's omnipresent here. Almost without fail within every thread he's in he posts something that is simply and patently false. IE: Richard Rodgers was told to stand at the 10 yard line in Detroit for a deflected ball. Those kind of wrong and false statements follow him all over this board. If I come along and tell him that isn't true am I troll or pot stirrer or am I someone trying to post the truth?

Do you really want a dumber board where fantasy and wishes rule the day here or do you want a board that's smarter and more balanced in it's thinking. If you go for the latter, it will alienate all the posters (many) who can't hang in such a forum as they just don't have the knowledge some here do. OR... do you want the dumb board that punishes people for being more balanced and intelligent? OR... could you possibly have both? If you go with both there will always be conflict because the group below the curve is always going to feel hurt and hurl names at those who are brighter than they are. It's a dissuader to them posting because they have to live in fear their factless fantasy posts are going to held up to the light. When that happens then the below the curve poster starts hollering...TROLL!...Pot stirrer!...etc.

If you really want to fix that then know thyself. If everyone played within the confines of where they are this place would be fine. It absolutely falls apart when someone is pretending to be something they're not and wants accolades from the board for feigning to be brighter than they are like Nerd does all the time with the very inaccurate things he posts. Does that make him happy when someone like me posts something that counters what he said and makes him look ridiculous. No. Why would it especially if the aim is to try being somebody around here. I would want guys like me gone too so I could feel bigger than I am. I give deference to Barfarn in certain areas as he does things I do not and I understand that. I don't think he's a troll or a pot stirrer at all and I question what he writes all the time. That usually causes him to go full on name calling with taunts of caveman and DSM disorders. What a world. You'll notice the only things I've ever done is try to quantify poster type here...as in mentalities. They're right on. Nobody likes it but it's spot on. It's easier to spot someone with a positive less reality based perspective than it is a "troll". I've yet to see a troll on this board.

Know thyself... don't get offended if you're corrected. If you feel you need to leave because the board has gotten too smart for you that's sad. There is no winning posts. I want to provide perspective and ones I feel passionately about whether they're positive or negatively perceived.

I can just see the replies...Who does he think he is...he thinks he's God's gift, he thinks he's smarter, etc. One just has to ask themselves minus emotion if any of that is really true. In my case, I don't believe I'm God's gift to the forum but I do think my level of understanding is above the majority here. I've been closely following this team for a long long time. The irony is is that people who know very little about their Packers are crying and demanding respect as a poster while completely trying to take it away from those who they know happen to know so much more than they do. It's inverse and perverse. Not a good culture.

Barfarn works here because he's mostly posting positive things about the Packers save for Rodgers this season. Ironic he can rip Rodgers, the franchise, and he doesn't get labeled the way I do but I guess he's done enough feel good stuff on other players that he's built up some immunity.

Finally, it is okay to be wrong. This isn't personal...nobody is anybody here in the sense of being a big shot nor should desire it or act as if they are. Just be who you are.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

The difference is that your posts consistently come off as extremely negative. I'm not talking about a negative view of the Packers, just a mix of confrontational/argumentative and just generally lacking in tact. Some of that is fine, but when you post dozens of posts lamenting how overly positive other posters are, and extremely consistently going off the deep end in the other direction, fair or not it comes off as one-note and being difficult for the sake of being difficult. You can express your opinions, you can hold and express unpopular opinions and still get along great with other people.

Part of the issue though is how you tend to fixate on the opinions of other fans, oftentimes those not directly engaged in the conversation, as a way of rationalizing your own opinions. Seriously, go back and read your last 10 posts in Packers-related topics. In what percentage of them are you calling out other fans (Either by name or fans in general) for overly rosy views of the Packers?
uffda udfa
8 years ago

The difference is that your posts consistently come off as extremely negative. I'm not talking about a negative view of the Packers, just a mix of confrontational/argumentative and just generally lacking in tact. Some of that is fine, but when you post dozens of posts lamenting how overly positive other posters are, and extremely consistently going off the deep end in the other direction, fair or not it comes off as one-note and being difficult for the sake of being difficult. You can express your opinions, you can hold and express unpopular opinions and still get along great with other people.

Part of the issue though is how you tend to fixate on the opinions of other fans, oftentimes those not directly engaged in the conversation, as a way of rationalizing your own opinions. Seriously, go back and read your last 10 posts in Packers-related topics. In what percentage of them are you calling out other fans (Either by name or fans in general) for overly rosy views of the Packers?

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

All I can say to the end of your post is I have long had an issue with "other fans" but only in the sense of them trying to present well minus any real knowledge. This goes back to my first forum experience when I was working in national radio and saw this guy trying so hard ...a wannabe extraordinaire. It drove me crazy seeing this guy try to lord over others how brilliant he was. I wanted to know the root of his brilliance and I think I might still have those old emails from 15 years ago. He was thoroughly convinced HE should be the GM of the Packers. Now, I don't think we have anyone that deluded here but he was. What we do have are people flippantly posting things passing them off as facts that couldn't be further from the truth. Sometimes, it's a simple misunderstanding or oversight as with Florida the other day, others it's blatant repeated instances as with Nerd. I just happen to have an issue with that.

As for the board and why am I not myself. An anticipated question and glad you asked. If you noticed I said I was crazy calibrated and quid pro quo. I don't wish to feel like I have to be someone I'm not but when I see someone posting and passing off things as if they're a guru or craving respect I literally can't help myself. It's upsetting to me as I think about "Dennis" from long long ago. He brought out the worst in me but I also learned from him in what not to do like Aaron did with Brett and I took some of the things he did that do work. I will always maintain that I'm not a jerk in any way shape or form. I care about people...I just hate when they're playing childish games on forums.

There should be forums for each level of understanding...beginners for new followers of the Packers, intermediate, and advanced and beyond. Barfarn might be in another level above me due to his time taken to study plays on all 22. I don't have time for that. He does. He is advanced in that regard. However, that doesn't mean I agree with him. I often don't but I respect that he's doing things I'm not to formulate his opinions. Too many here should be in a beginners type forum but they try speaking as if they're advanced. That's a huge problem. Someone not long ago PM'ed me and noted their shortcomings with things they did and I thought that was the most respectable thing I ever read. In contrast, some of what Nerd shared with you was in PM in reply to a very vulgar PM toward me that not only dropped the F bomb but invited me to go jerk off in the corner. What you see me responding to is that awful message from him. Did he tell you that? Nope...you are left thinking what a dick uu is for typing that message but you don't know why I did it. Now, you also know why I get a little combative with the Buckeye and nerd's of the world. Nothing but surface understanding of things at best and projecting and purporting to be more than that. I just don't like it. However, I will promise to work on that...but when it's as overt as writing that someone was supposed to do something on a play and that player contradicts I'm going to post in reply to that. I'll be nicer or softer about it even though what should happen is the person trying to play big man on forum should be scolded for the pretense. I have NEVER seen that.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
8 years ago
We are getting some really long replies, which is fine, but I haven't read through each line of each of them yet. Just wanted to drop a note that I do have a good idea on how to get things back in the right direction. Again, we're not that far off, not at all. The trouble part is making things concise and succinct while maintaining a clear objective. Oh, and finding/making the time to do it. (dealing with carpel tunnel in both wrists)

Truth of the matter here, it has been a few a squeaky wheels that were getting my grease. Those squeaky wheels will simply be removed if the squeaking continues after the minor (yet profound) changes are established.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

We are getting some really long replies, which is fine, but I haven't read through each line of each of them yet. Just wanted to drop a note that I do have a good idea on how to get things back in the right direction. Again, we're not that far off, not at all. The trouble part is making things concise and succinct while maintaining a clear objective. Oh, and finding/making the time to do it. (dealing with carpel tunnel in both wrists)

Truth of the matter here, it has been a few a squeaky wheels that were getting my grease. Those squeaky wheels will simply be removed if the squeaking continues after the minor (yet profound) changes are established.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Try DMSO for the carpal tunnel. Great anti-inflammatory.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Not that there's anything wrong with that... 🤣

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

dhazer
8 years ago

As a guy who feels like an outsider, I can tell you one of the worst things about any forum is the cliques that are well formed turning off any and all new posters. This is one of the reasons 68md likes the word "troll". That word protects the clique from the opinions of outsiders and creates a herd mentality and feeding frenzy against the new unwanted visitor. Now, this only applies to new members who have a dissenting point of view. If the new poster is perfectly in line, and often they become that way because they lurk for awhile to see what is acceptable and what isn't. What you get left with is a forum like 68md's...it's a cult of sameness. I was there and unwelcome because I had 180 views from their clique membership. Of course, I just had to be a troll because I didn't like Davante Adams, wasn't high on TT, etc. and they didn't want to hear it. I was a troll and beat a dead horse but had I said positive things about Davante, TT, etc...there would've been no dead horse beat. That only comes up when the opinion is unpopular. When something unpopular is posted ONCE is enough for the clique board who doesn't appreciate such expressions. Any further expression of your "negative" opinion is beating a dead horse. I have seen this ridiculousness played out on any fan board everywhere I've ever been.

If there was a forum for guys like Dakota and myself that is the only place I would post. I wouldn't even bother the Buckeyes of the world that swoon with every single thing this org does and praise it and spin it positively.

Kevin...heck, shoot me a PM. Let me know how much it would cost me to have you host a site for me. A place like Michael Rodney's PackersNotes would be good for me. I can just write pieces on my site and can leave commentary open below. That way, I'm and hopefully others like me are off your board where nobody really wants me/them anyway and the issue of harmony and feeling like a family comes back.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

OK I read your book Uffda and it actually made me laugh quite abit. So i took a segment of it and was wondering if you can figure it out? Here I will help you out by bolding it lol, OK you probably still don't understand it. So let me explain this to you, You complain about a forum having their cliques but then you turn right around want your own clique on a forum with Dakota lol. Dude I have to ask why are you playing the poor me card? Hell you have received nothing compared to everything i went thru but I took it as a challenge to prove my point even more why different facts and of course opinions. Saying the same stuff over and over again isn't going to do it and long winded posts won't either. Hell didn't you say you were a reporter? Than you should know how this works. I used to have a major rival in here and his name was Longtimefan and guess what, after years of arguing we now bs on facebook a lot lol. Hell Dakota and myself went at it for the longest time. That what makes a forum great is having the different points of views. Would you want to go to a forum to read the Packers are great because I said so and everyone agrees? Rant off..

PS stop being a damn crybaby or I will kick you off the Packershome Ted Thompson hate wagon 😝
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago
☺ I get what you're implying. There's one small difference. Dakota and I are not cliqueish. We happen to be anti establishment. I have noticed he gets grief like me and presumably you once did. I wo u ld lump you into that and you and I would not be cliqueish. We just aren't typical of fans on boards everywhere. Not an elitist statement. Just truth. Heck, Barfarn fits also.

If you categorized mindsets by forum things would run more smoothly.

My objections are noted. Nobody seems to care though. Just let people continue pretending. It couldn't be they are an issue just the ones who call it out.
UserPostedImage

Zero2Cool
8 years ago
Anyone want to know who has posted the most times in this topic? I was curious too.

uffda udfa has the most with 11 and no one is surprised.

😂

UserPostedImage
Yerko
8 years ago
"Back in the day" there used to be a very good process in place when a thread went off topic, which seems to happen quite a bit lately now. The thread was immediately stopped where it went off topic and usually that was dropped somewhere new or placed where it was relevant.

I know you had a ton of help back then that made this possible, Zero. Maybe this is something that can be implemented again? It just seems to me that a lot of threads go completely off-topic, sometimes way too soon into the thread.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

"Back in the day" there used to be a very good process in place when a thread went off topic, which seems to happen quite a bit lately now. The thread was immediately stopped where it went off topic and usually that was dropped somewhere new or placed where it was relevant.

I know you had a ton of help back then that made this possible, Zero. Maybe this is something that can be implemented again? It just seems to me that a lot of threads go completely off-topic, sometimes way too soon into the thread.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

Yep, definitely need more help. Porforis has done very well, but I think one more or maybe two more with clear direction (Shawn and Wayne will laugh at that!) to make things gooder.

I really think the implementation of soft deleting posts is going to be a major blessing.
UserPostedImage