KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
4 years ago
First, shame on you lazy turds for not starting a thread on the subject, especially YOU Dr. NSD. So if you want to comment go ahead
Bill Huber SI Online wrote

Extended Playoffs Would Mean Larger Focus on No. 1 Seed
Bill Huber

Under a new collective bargaining agreement, the home-field advantage that quarterback Aaron Rodgers has sought for years would be more important than ever.

As first reported by ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter, the NFL playoff field would be expanded from 12 teams to 14. That’s seven teams per conference, meaning only the No. 1 seed would home-field advantage – a huge advantage in getting to the Super Bowl. Over the last seven seasons, all 14 teams that reached the Super Bowl had earned a first-round bye.

“I think we’re really close,” quarterback Aaron Rodgers said after his Green Bay Packers were blasted by the top-seeded San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship Game. “I think we’re just a little more consistent performance away from consistently playing with these guys. But we got them at their place twice. I’ve said this before: We’ve got to get one of these at home. It’s a different ballgame. It’s different playing in 20-degree weather and snow. Cold and wind is a different type of game than playing here.”

Under the new format, which, if approved, would begin in the upcoming 2020 season, there would be six teams in each conference playing on wild-card weekend, with No. 2 hosting No. 7, No. 3 hosting No. 6 and No. 4 hosting No. 5. In last year’s breakout season, the Packers finished 13-3 and earned the No. 2 seed and a first-round bye. Under the proposed new format, the Packers would have hosted the Los Angeles Rams, who would have gone from out of the playoffs to in the playoffs under the new structure.

“That's been agreed to for a long time,” one source familiar with the CBA talks told Schefter about the NFL's new playoff structure. “There wasn't a lot of disagreement to that issue.”

Where there is disagreement is going to a 17-game regular-season schedule. Owners want to go to 17 games to drive up revenue; players don’t want to put their bodies through the rigors of an additional regular-season game. Going to a three-game preseason isn’t much of a trade-off, considering most starters play little in the preseason, anyway.

The current CBA runs through the 2020 season. A potential 17-game season, if approved, wouldn’t start until 2021.

Of course, money is what’s driving the negotiations. According to Schefter, players would get 48 percent of the league’s mammoth financial pie – up from 47 percent. That would go to 48.5 percent in a 17-game season would push that figure up to 48.5 percent. That would mean an additional $5 billion for the players, Schefter said. If the new CBA is like the old CBA, that would mean a 10-year deal, that would mean $500 million per season, or an additional $15,625,000 per team.

My opinion is....its all about the money. Too many teams without a shot draw neither the gate nor the TV audience and advertisers have figured it out. I am not opining on the format, but if they shorten the regular season and added a playoff round, TV ratings and revenues would improve...its primarily about viewership.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
Just because the owners want it and the media hypes it doesn't mean it's going to happen. What's really in it for the players? a $250,000 pay check? Seriously?

Tex Western said: 

Reporter Ian Rapoport, who works for the NFL, suggested that this plan is a “good sign” for the players’ vote on the proposal tomorrow. It would seem to work for the majority of players, whose base salaries are under $4 million, but those over that mark are sure to feel slighted. For example, Packers left tackle David Bakhtiari provided Rapoport with a response that seems less-than-excited:

As a player with a large contract, Bakhtiari would seem to be shorted by this idea. His normal game checks in 2020 will be worth $656,250, based on his base salary of $10.5 million. If the 17-game schedule were to kick in for 2020, he would get almost $400,000 less for playing that extra regular season game than he would for the others.

As for Aaron's comment about playing in the cold would have effected the outcome of the game. That's just wrong. SF ran the ball all day long. Cold winds would not have changed a thing. Except maybe for a lower score and a weaker performance by the Packers and THEIR passing game.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
I'm trying again. It's easier to make a new post.

UserPostedImage
beast
4 years ago
Extended playoffs to automatically 14 teams in is quite a bad idea.

As it is, 37.5% of the NFL in the entire league get in... in no other sport/league (that I'm aware of) does such a large percentage of the teams get in... adding two more makes that to 43.75%... which is almost a half, and we fans already complain enough about bad and horrible teams making the playoffs... and a lot more teams with only 8 wins making the playoffs.

Also with the #7 seed playing the #2 seed and only one single bye week, there will be less competition in the finals weeks, as less teams will actually have a shot at the #1 seed... such as no team could catch the Ravens the final week.... where the Patriots and Chiefs still had to battle for the second bye week.

Jerry Jones (which one report said he's leading the NFL in the CBA terms), just wants more chances to make the playoffs, and earn more money, because he's team can't do it without more spots.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dhazer (6m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.