Zero2Cool
4 years ago

That’s something that bugs me about the NBA. So many teams make the playoffs, that teams that have no real business (or chance) are made fake playoff teams.
Now the NFL wants to do that too?
Why even have a season? Just make every game a “one and done” playoff, and the last team without a loss is the “champion”.
(I’m being sarcastic)

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Just wait for it.

The NFL will ditch the playoffs altogether and use a seeding system and have a bracket. After 16 games, teams get a bye week and then ranked accordingly to their season. Then wild card weekend we have 16 games where lowest seed plays at highest seed. (e.g. 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, etc)

Round 1 - Wild Card
Saturday has 8 games (4 from each conference)
Sunday has 8 games (4 from each conference)

Round 2 - Divisional
Saturday has 4 games (2 from each conference)
Sunday has 4 games (2 from each conference)

Round 3 - Championship
Sunday has 2 games (1 from each conference)

Round 4 - Super Bowl Bracket Madness™
Sunday has 1 game (AFC Bracket Winner vs NFC Bracket Winner)
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
The players union has poor, un-creative leadership. They should at least get roster expansion and increase benefits...this would be a win win for the league as it would improve quality of play and give more players a shot.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago

The players union has poor, un-creative leadership. They should at least get roster expansion and increase benefits...this would be a win win for the league as it would improve quality of play and give more players a shot.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

They certainly are not the MLB players union of the 70's and 80's.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
4 years ago
I think they should play football all year round.😎
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago

Aaron Rodgers unsure whether players really looking at CBA

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Aaron Rodgers, a vocal opponent of the collective bargaining agreement, isn't sure whether it will pass the full NFL players vote that is underway because he isn't sure how many of the rank-and-file in the league care enough to consider all the provisions.

That's the sentiment he expressed Friday during an interview on ESPN Wisconsin radio's Wilde & Tausch.

Rodgers, the Green Bay Packers' representative to the NFL Players Association, said he sent multiple electronic messages to his teammates about the talking points of the CBA ahead of the vote and "got next to no responses."

"That's probably the most disheartening thing," Rodgers said on the show. "This is a society we live in now that's so distracted by the swiping world of apps and social media. I don't know. Do guys really care about this stuff? Unfortunately, or fortunately -- however you look at it -- for the people wanting to push this deal through so badly, that's kind of a win because nobody's critically looking at this or thinking about it.
They're just like, 'Oh, what's my salary going to be? Oh, OK, cool.' Not like, 'Are we taking care of former players? What kind of additional player risks are we taking on? What are we getting in return for that?'"

Rodgers previously explained his decision to vote against the deal by saying it was "based off conversations I have had with the men in my locker room that I'm tasked to represent."

"There's not a lot of critical thinking going on," Rodgers said Friday. "There was a ton of information out there. I sent out the large email, and you email 73 guys; how many responses you think you're getting back on this 2,000-word email that goes out? You'd be really disappointed to hear the actual answer. That's the problem. I think we just haven't had a chance to look at this critically and it's kind of been pushed through, pushed through, pushed through, pushed through, and it's bullet-point highlights in quotations with this deal that's like, 'Well, no, that's not the whole deal' and also 'understand what you're signing and what this means for the future of this game.' I'd like to hit the pause button, but I'm not sure that's even going to be a possibility. We'll find out in a few days if this goes through or not."

Rodgers was most vocal against the addition of a 17th game and the limits on long-term health care benefits for retired players. He said early discussions among players indicated that they were against the 17th game.

"A lot of us are wondering how the hell that even got into the conversation," he said, "because nobody wanted it."

Although he's one of 32 elected player reps, Rodgers said he felt his "involvement was more under the show-pony guys. Just bring in the guy with the name who's going to be in the room. I don't think they realized maybe my ability to speak in those environments and what I really was passionate about.

"The point that I was trying to make in that meeting and as we talked to the PA afterward was, 'Tell me what I can go back and tell my veteran players. What are we getting in return for this 17th game?'" Rodgers said. "To me, it just wasn't substantial enough to go back and tell those young players and older players, 'Hey, look, this is what you're going to be getting.'"

Rodgers tried to caution the younger players who would see their minimum salary increase under the new CBA to think longer term, but he admitted that there could be a significant divide between the highly paid veterans and the younger players.

"It'll be interesting to see the numbers on who actually votes," Rodgers said. "I know there's a lot of us who have or will vote 'No' on this and believe that there's a better deal to be made, but I know there's guys who want to do it and see the minimum jump and are OK with 17 games, which, again, I don't relate to that. But I understand there are some good things in it. I really don't have a feeling. I thought when we voted, post the meeting with the owners, I was looking around the room, kind of counting up the 'No's and I thought we were going to be at seven or eight and it was basically 15 because the one abstained vote was a no vote. I was surprised it was 15.

"I think it's going to be a lot closer than people think. Obviously you know [Eric] Winston and [DeMaurice] Smith are gung-ho trying to push this thing forward, which again I don't quite understand the necessity for speed in pushing this through and the information that's being put out there, but I do think it's going be a close vote, and hopefully we make it public."

Rodgers also said the players are undervaluing themselves by accepting provisions such as limits on training camp and offseason practices and relaxed marijuana testing.

"To hang our hats on some of these things that to the owners are a nothing, to me lessens our value," Rodgers said. "And I think we should've stood firmer on revenue and player safety instead of trying to get some of these concessions where we don't have, again, we don't have lifetime health care. I've seen a lot of former players talking about that. I don't know, that obviously wasn't one of the main things negotiated.

"I think some of the gains we made on player safety, we take a step back if this gets ratified and goes through and there's 17 games and another game on wild-card weekend, and we didn't adjust any of the playoff pay, which is already significantly less than regular-season pay. I really don't understand the major, major points that people are trying to sell this to."

While most of Rodgers' appearance on ESPN Wisconsin was devoted to the CBA, there was a pertinent on-field topic discussed. General manager Brian Gutekunst admitted recently that the Packers could draft Rodgers' eventual replacement soon. Rodgers was asked whether that would bother him, given that the team could use help at other spots to get over the NFC Championship Game hump...

I sense the frustration in his comments. Rodgers is throwing his "pearls to swine."
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
dhazer
4 years ago
For all the money they make hell ya make them play an extra game. You know damn well Rodgers is looking out for himself like he always does. If he really worried about the lower paid guys he wouldn't take up so much of the salary cap. Also he knows he doesn't have many years left thats why he is pushing for the extended coverage after football. The team reps should be the middle of the pay scale guys not the highest paid.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (33m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.