KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
4 years ago
Lombardi Ave wrote:

The Packers may need to find other options at tackle
by Christian Borman 3/2/20 approx 6:20 pm @christianborman

The Packers may need to start evaluating other options at right tackle if Bryan Bulaga walks in free agency.
Free agency for the Green Bay Packers and the rest of the NFL is just about two weeks away. The new league year starts March 18, which is when free agency “officially” begins. March 16, however, is when legal tampering begins, and that’s really when free agents start agreeing to sign with other teams.

The Packers have a few players entering the pool of free agents, but there is one, in particular, most Packers fans wanted to bring back: Bryan Bulaga. Bulaga is coming off of one of his best seasons as a pro. He kept Aaron Rodgers clean for most of the season, even though he faced some of the best pass rushers in the NFL in players like Khalil Mack and Danielle Hunter.

Bulaga will be 31 at the start of the next season. He’s due for a big payday, but at the same time, is it smart to give an aging offensive tackle with an injury history over $10 million a year? Spotrac estimates Bulaga’s market value is about $10.1 million a year.

Well, whether the Packers want to or not, they may not have a choice. With their spending spree last year on defense, which was sorely needed, the Packers don’t have a lot of cap space available right now. They have other big holes they need to fill this offseason and pay players like Kenny Clark and possibly Aaron Jones too.

Tom Silverstein and Jim Owczarski of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel also reported that the Packers haven’t even been in contact with Bulaga or his agent:

“According to a source, the Packers have not had any talks with his agent since the season ended.

There’s plenty of time before the free-agent period begins, but if the Packers were eager to get him under contract they probably would have done so already. The team may be waiting to see how the CBA goes and whether they will have more salary-cap space than anticipated.”

I’d say that’s a pretty telling sign that Bulaga won’t likely be back in the green and gold next season unless something surprising happens.

I think they are going another direction, and I am afraid its Turner.

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
beast
4 years ago
Packers rumors have been all about them bringing in ILBers, while no rumors about Bulaga with different teams.

I believe there were rumors like this the last time Bulaga was a FA, I think they're just waiting for FA to set the price market, and then making a decision after seeing what the cost is. The last time the Bills were said to be the highest bidder and Bulaga resigned with the Packers (of course the Bills were already headed to cap hell and they were still spending which was quite stupid).

Everyone talks about Turner, but when they had a RT opening, due to injury, they put Alex Light there instead, and Light looked horrible, yet they never moved Turner. So I'm not sure if they truely like Turner at OT or if that's just last case scenario for them.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
4 years ago

Everyone talks about Turner, but when they had a RT opening, due to injury, they put Alex Light there instead, and Light looked horrible, yet they never moved Turner. So I'm not sure if they truly like Turner at OT or if that's just last case scenario for them.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I hope so, but I know that Chicago needs to strengthen their line and Crystal Lake native may want to play for the Bares.

Light was not good and we have no other plausible LT option but Turner.

warhawk
4 years ago
Not signing Bulaga makes the Oline very thin and that's an issue. Signing him greatly inhibits Gute from signing the quality players at ILB and WR needed for this team to improve so that's a problem.
If Bulaga doesn't return the gamble is finding at the minimum a solid bridge player for a year and drafting an OT higher on the list than if Bulaga were retained. That is probably ok IF he uses the cap savings and hits at ILB and WR in free agency.

Gute was good in FA last year but he can't do any good if he doesn't have the money. I just don't see the solution being rookies whether it's at ILB, WR, or, OT, although there may be hope at WR with a really good rookie and improvement from Lazard, St. Brown, or MVS. That is certainly more doable than expecting a rookie ILB to take over the play calling responsibilities Martinez had whose loss in that regard is vastly underrated IMO. He knew where everyone was supposed to be in every defense. I have my doubts a rookie can do that. I just hope Gute can find a vet who can.

Gut has nothing easy on his plate this year and it all starts with what they do with Bulaga. I think he's gone. Too much of a luxury keep at $10 mil with too many other holes to fill. Still a strain when it comes to getting better but probably the best solution overall.

"The train is leaving the station."
KRK
  • KRK
4 years ago
Fansided wrote:

Three players already on roster who can make a difference who are already on the roster
#1 Lucas Patrick/Billy Turner
One of the major decisions the Packers have to make is what to do with Bryan Bulaga. The Packers’ starting right tackle since the 2010 season, Bulaga is looking set to hit free agency and could be on his way out.
Should that happen, the Packers don’t appear, at least on paper, to have a ready-made sub.
But look a little closer and you could see they do. Billy Turner has played both guard and tackle and could be a candidate to slide one spot over to right tackle.
That’s where Lucas Patrick comes into play and could step right in at right guard.
Patrick signed a two-year, $2.98 million extension during the season and has played well in relief of both Corey Linsley as well as at both guard positions over the last two years.
The tandem of Turner and Patrick could give the Packers a younger yet veteran line on the right side and be a cost-efficient move if Bulaga is allowed to walk.
This would free up more cap space to be spent elsewhere like at wide receiver or tight end.
Patrick’s signing alone should tell you the Packers have plans for him. While $2.98 million isn’t a lot of money in the NFL, it is still a substantial investment for a backup guard. It’s possible that signing Turner as well as Patrick’s extension was done with this in mind.

Sometimes I wonder if these rags are just mouthpieces for the franchise. My concerns about Gutey thinking they already have the pieces to replace Bulaga is heightened by this kid of drivel (no disrespect intended NSD.)

Perhaps its just negotiating blather, but this new two piece combo starting package would give me great pause about the 2020-1 season.
go.pack.go.
4 years ago
We better re-sign Bulaga. There isn’t a better right tackle in this league when he’s healthy. And he was healthy all year. Pay the man.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
I have mixed feelings. Yes, when healthy he’s great. But he’s getting old, and more apt to get injured.
So.....damned if you do, damned if you don’t.
Of course the Packer brass knows a lot more about his health and all more then I do.
So I’ll bow to their decision. (As if I had any other choice, hey)😂
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
Pay the man
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
4 years ago
IMO, it's a no brainer to resign him, assuming he stays mostly healthy and at a fair price for both sides. I realize those are big assumptions to make, but when he is healthy, it would be close to impossible to maintain or IMPROVE the RT position in the next year or two. Bulaga leaving would likely mean a downgrade, and possibly a significant downgrade at an important position. Gambling at RT is risky, especially with an older QB. If he walks, the Packers will need to find a capable replacement and hit a home run on a few other positions like MLB and WR to hopefully compensate for the loss. Although if Aaron Rodgers gets injured, the Packers still aren't going far, so keeping him healthy is key.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.