Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

I'm not sure that is entirely true. Lions made the NFC Conference game.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Really? Oops, thought they got bounced early in the playoffs that year. 😔
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
4 years ago
He's had 1 big year. He is great but i have a hard time saying prolific. I also have a hard time saying he is near burnout. He was barely used until this year. He's got a lot of miles left.
beast
4 years ago

You take chances at all positions money/contract wise. So do you let a guy like Jones go somewhere else, and HOPE you get a decent replacement? Eddie Lacy has one good year, then let himself go.
I don’t see Jones as that kind of person. If he remains healthy, I believe he will give his all to be the best he can be.
You develop players. If you let them go when they have become excellent at their position, what’s the sense? It’s not like Jones is over the hill. And if they can pick up a few offensive weapons, that should take some pressure off Jones, and make his career longer.
AND make teams not key on him so much.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Yes and a lot of teams are paying the price for investing large amounts into RBs!

I'm not talking about all players, just one position... and I'm not saying don't invest, but if you do, you need to be able to get out of the contract without too much damage.

By very very careful when investing into RBs.

And no this scheme makes the RB a huge focus and teams will be scheming for the top RB for as long as they're talented and we're in this scheme.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
4 years ago
We'll see see what he does in 2020, specially, if he can stay healthy. At this point I would let him walk and get big money and maybe resign Williams to a modest deal instead. Paying big money to running backs is dumb dumb dumb. For every Barry Sanders there are 50 Ricky Williams' - and even Sanders, one of the greatest of all time, was not transcendent.
blank
Cheesey
4 years ago
Yes, Beast. That’s what I mean. Teams will scheme against Jones, and having WRs and TEs that can make a defense scared to scheme against Jones, because they have to honor the rest of the offense, is SOOO important.
Jones is also really good at blitz pickup, too. That is really important in keeping our QB from getting killed.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
4 years ago

He's had 1 big year. He is great but i have a hard time saying prolific. I also have a hard time saying he is near burnout. He was barely used until this year. He's got a lot of miles left.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

He also led the league in yards per carry 2 years ago. He’s been a beast since the day he set foot in the NFL, Mike McCarthy just never used him. I noticed from day one that he always got positive yardage when given the ball. Something Green Bay hasn’t had in quite a while.

Pay the man. But don’t over pay the man.
UserPostedImage
beast
4 years ago

Yes, Beast. That’s what I mean. Teams will scheme against Jones, and having WRs and TEs that can make a defense scared to scheme against Jones, because they have to honor the rest of the offense, is SOOO important.
Jones is also really good at blitz pickup, too. That is really important in keeping our QB from getting killed.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Um, except this scheme does the exact opposite of what your saying...

First off, Aaron Jones has been injured numerous times, almost all the times have been while pass blocking... I don't give two darns how good at it he is, he gets killed while doing it, don't have him do it!

Second off, this scheme is largely about maximuming the RBs ability to be a weapon, getting the defense to focus more on him (not less)... to take pressure off the passing game.

Third, (to go with one and two), this scheme mostly ask RBs to be receivers a lot more often than blockers, as this maximize their ability to make plays happen in open field and to create an easy check down, while this means the QB has one less blocker, you can often get a RB one on one with a LBer (and Jones doesn't have to block).

Forth, if say a defense refuses to focus more on the RB... THEN Plan B is to do what you are suggesting and get them over forced on the pass game and run the ball, as we saw that in the last Packers vs 49ers game. But that's not plan A....

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
Williams is much better at blitz pickup and a very effective runner. I would be very happy with another one like him.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago
Overall, yes, but I remember Williams having a couple of major whiffs on blitz pickup last season too.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
Jones keeps defenses off balance. He can make big gains running and catching at any time.
I just can’t see letting an offensive threat like him go.
Williams is ok, but he’s not Jones.
There are a lot like Williams, not many as versatile or good as Jones.
I think too many are looking at Jones as “just a RB”. He made a lot of plays catching the ball out of the backfield as well. Not every RB is good at that.
He’s a safety valve for Rodgers that is trusted by Rodgers.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.