Mucky Tundra
3 years ago
Okay, serious post:

As a Packers homer who thinks they're going 19-0 every year I hate this pick. It's disappointing watching teams load up at WR in deep class and for GB to draft a QB when WR was a need. It's disappointing seeing a team that reached the NFC championship game decide to focus on the long term instead of the short term. Is GB a deep football team? No, there's needs and holes abound but the homer in me says damn it all because once the season starts rolling you don't know how things are going to shake out.

The cold hearted football fan in me likes this pick. Rodgers hasn't been the same over the past few years thanks to injuries. And it was clear at times that he was bending MLFs offense by holding the ball too long, dancing in and rolling out of the pocket to personally extend plays. Some of this can be chalked up to old habits dying hard and learning a new system but I don't think all of it can. If Rodgers wants to take this personally, then good. Let him to try prove Gutekunst wrong by buying into the system and excelling in it. If he wants to pout and spike the team, then he's no better than Favre was. And at 36 years of age, GB has to start thinking about the future without Rodgers. If GB doesn't trade Love, they'll have the luxury of drafting a talented QB and letting himself be fully immersed in MLFs system. Best time to get a future QB is before you need one.

One last caveat; the Packers drafted Rodgers while Favre was still on the team in 2005. GB went 10-6 the previous year but clearly was on a downward trend and went 4-12 in 2005 and the future looked muddled. Two years later they lost in OT to the Giants one game short of the Super Bowl. Point is, don't write the Rodgers era off just yet.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Cheesey
3 years ago
They were close to “winning it all” last year, but they lucked out many times. When they went up against a great team (SF), twice, they got murdered. They barely beat the Lions twice. They got to play against KC without their starting QB. Their lack of run defense made them look pitiful too many times. If they don’t fix that, and get some help on offense, they will be lucky to go 8-8 next season.
Right now I feel blah about Love.
Again, I was hoping for some help on offense or someone on D that can stop a RB.
UserPostedImage
porky88
3 years ago
Just a couple of general thoughts...

I keep reading that GB needs to win now because of Rodgers and that they are one or two players away. Look, I wish that was the case, but the Packers were hardly a dominant football team last year. They struggled against Washington, Detroit, and Carolina - who all picked in the top 10. San Diego whipped them. The Packers overachieved in 2019, in large part due to winning close games. History suggests they won’t have the same kind of success next year in these kinds of games. I think they are closer to an 8 or 9-win team than they are to a 13-win team. They are far more than a rookie WR or rookie LB away. This roster needs a ton of work.

Point 2 is that Rodgers has 3 years left on his contract. He will play that deal out, while Love sits behind him and develops. Love then gets 1 year to prove it before Green Bay can excercise his 5th year option (assuming he does). That gives them a year to negotiate. That’s actually a practical plan and smart roster building. Rodgers will be 39 going on 40 by the time his contract expires. There is a valid argument that now was the time to act.

Now, I am not saying I agree with this move. I honestly didn’t watch Utah State football in 2018 or 2019. I look forward to seeing Love play and judging him on his merits. We’ll see what happens. But there is logic behind the pick. It’s not as if GB panicked. They clearly have a vision and it looks a lot like what Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson did. Hopefully, Love is the right player just as Favre and Rodgers were.
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
What Matt said above an what Aaron said below. This is what I've been saying as well.

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

There’s also 6 more rounds to find more playmakers. Getting a project QB with all the tools and telling him to learn for the next 2/3 years is perfect IMO

Originally Posted by: stevegb 

Absolutely. People are freaking out and it's great! I love it! There are six more rounds worth of picks to find talent. I wouldn't have taken QB Jordan Love in round one, but I'm also a fan and would have probably gone with the highest graded player on my board that wasn't a QB. And then taken a QB on day two or three, that QB James Morgan maybe.

And they can use the six rounds of picks to move some of the later round picks to move up earlier in rounds two and three.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
3 years ago

Just a couple of general thoughts...

I keep reading that GB needs to win now because of Rodgers and that they are one or two players away. Look, I wish that was the case, but the Packers were hardly a dominant football team last year. They struggled against Washington, Detroit, and Carolina - who all picked in the top 10. San Diego whipped them. The Packers overachieved in 2019, in large part due to winning close games. History suggests they won’t have the same kind of success next year in these kinds of games. I think they are closer to an 8 or 9-win team than they are to a 13-win team. They are far more than a rookie WR or rookie LB away. This roster needs a ton of work.

Point 2 is that Rodgers has 3 years left on his contract. He will play that deal out, while Love sits behind him and develops. Love then gets 1 year to prove it before Green Bay can excercise his 5th year option (assuming he does). That gives them a year to negotiate. That’s actually a practical plan and smart roster building. Rodgers will be 39 going on 40 by the time his contract expires. There is a valid argument that now was the time to act.

Now, I am not saying I agree with this move. I honestly didn’t watch Utah State football in 2018 or 2019. I look forward to seeing Love play and judging him on his merits. We’ll see what happens. But there is logic behind the pick. It’s not as if GB panicked. They clearly have a vision and it looks a lot like what Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson did. Hopefully, Love is the right player just as Favre and Rodgers were.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

All the more reason to not draft a QB in round 1.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
3 years ago

They were close to “winning it all” last year, but they lucked out many times. When they went up against a great team (SF), twice, they got murdered. They barely beat the Lions twice. They got to play against KC without their starting QB. Their lack of run defense made them look pitiful too many times. If they don’t fix that, and get some help on offense, they will be lucky to go 8-8 next season.
Right now I feel blah about Love.
Again, I was hoping for some help on offense or someone on D that can stop a RB.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

If Aaron wants another ring, one thing he can do is not have 3 turnovers in the NFCCG.

It's not on the team to fo what it can for Aaron. It's on Aaron to do what he can for the team. Such as, getting the ball out on time, etc.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
3 years ago
Also recall. We'vevgot guys in the middle. Kirksey, established veteran, gotta keep him healthy.

Remember Curtis Bolton? Dude showed he could play. Ty Summers? He's got the skills, needs to take that second year step. Burks looks like a bust, but he gets another year. Then there's also Raven Greene, Ibrahim Campbell, Josh Jackson. The cupboards aren't bare.

Gary could play the middle too. Zadarius has done so in an elephant role.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
Mike Zimmer, coach of NFC North rival Minnesota, was asked about the Packers taking Love.

“I think Rodgers should retire,” he joked. “I don’t know what was going on in their minds. We just worry about us. We’re trying to get guys to beat ’em.”
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
3 years ago

If Aaron wants another ring, one thing he can do is not have 3 turnovers in the NFCCG.

It's not on the team to fo what it can for Aaron. It's on Aaron to do what he can for the team. Such as, getting the ball out on time, etc.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yeah, I guess Aaron should’ve played DLine or MLB in that game and stopped the run. That loss is almost 100% on the shitty defensive play.
UserPostedImage