Cheesey
3 years ago
Zero, I also agree with what Nagler said. Yes, we were 13-3. But they could have easily been 8-8 or less.
They were not a dominant team on either side of the ball.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
3 years ago

I wish I knew what this "professional scouting organization" might be.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
3 years ago

Packers 2020 NFL Draft: Day 1 Analysis 
Analyzing the Packers' approach to day one of the 2020 NFL Draft.

By BrandonCarwile
Apr 24, 2020

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Is Jordan Love the next Aaron Rodgers? The Green Bay Packers hope that is the case.

Before the draft, general manager Brian Gutekunst said he’d be aggressive. Well, not many people expected him to be this aggressive.

After a flurry of wide receivers came off the board, Gutekunst dealt the team’s 30th overall pick and a 2020 fourth rounder to the Miami Dolphins for their pick at 26. Instead of going receiver, with that pick, he made the most shocking selection of the night in Utah State quarterback Jordan Love.

Immediately after the pick was announced, we all thought about the same thing. Aaron Rodgers. When Rodgers was selected in 2005, he faced an embarrassing night in the green room as he fell in the first round. Utah State’s quarterback received some love as a prospect, but he wasn’t in consideration at first overall like Rodgers.

The Packers clearly had a first-round grade on Love, perhaps he was their best player available. So, they made sure they got him.

MEASURABLES/COMBINE:

6'4" 224 lbs. 4.74 40 / 35.5 vert / 116" broad jump / 7.21 cone drill / 4.52 shuttle

Career Notes:

In 13 games last season, Love threw for 3,402 yards, 20 touchdowns, 17 interceptions, and a 61.9 completion percentage. He set Utah State's single-season school records in both completions and attempts, while his passing yards were the second most. Overall, Love holds three Utah State records with 9,003 yards of total offense, 12 career 300-yard passing games, and four completions of at least 80 yards. His 8,600 passing yards and career passing attempts and completions are second in school history. Also, Love's 60 career passing touchdowns are tied for second.

SCOUTING REPORTS:

NFL.com 

The Draft Network 

What They’re Saying:

“Love has ideal size, arm strength and athletic ability. He operated out of the 'gun at Utah State and was very fluid and smooth in his setup. He throws from a variety of platforms and arm angles. The ball jumps out of his hand. He is at his best on skinny post drive throws and over-the-top deep balls. His decision making was very concerning this past season. He forced too many balls into crowds and didn't ever give up on a play -- to a fault. His supporting cast wasn't very good, but he still fell into too many bad habits. He uses his athletic ability to escape and extend plays, but there are occasions when he fails to climb and reset his feet. Overall, Love is a raw prospect who will need some time to develop. There is risk with him, but the payoff could be huge.” -Daniel Jeremiah NFL.com

“Love is a case study in traits vs. production. He has the traits scouts love (arm strength, mobility, big-play mentality), but he threw 17 interceptions in 2019. No matter which team drafts him, Love is a sit-and-develop type quarterback, not a rookie starter. He must work on cleaning up his decision-making while also growing into a professional quarterback after coming from a conference where his arm strength and athleticism were good enough to win. Love is a major boom-bust prospect who could end up being the best quarterback from the class or a journeyman backup.” -Matt Miller Bleacher Report

“Love is high-quality clay. He has elite arm talent, he has height and size and he’s athletic enough to be a threat on run options and get away with pressure, but he hasn’t yet been molded to resemble a starting-quality NFL quarterback. It’s almost as if his memory has to be erased and he has to relearn how to play the position with NFL coaching and more talent around him. We’ve seen this type of project fail before, but we’ve also seen more mature quarterbacks with fewer tools fiddle with mediocrity for their entire careers. Love won’t be ready to play right away; he’ll need a year or two. There is a large risk factor associated with drafting Love and it’s not one I’d be comfortable taking in the first round, though he may be a worthwhile gamble on Day 2 or 3.” -Ted Nguyen The Athletic

Other options on the board:

Most, if not all of the receivers with a first-round grade were gone. However, Green Bay still could have picked from the likes of Tee Higgins, Denzel Mims, or Michael Pittman Jr. If they wanted to go defense yet again, inside linebacker Patrick Queen was selected two picks later by the Baltimore Ravens. Green Bay also could have bolstered their defensive line with a guy like Ross Blacklock or AJ Epenesa.

Why they went with Love:

According to Gutekunst, it was the best decision for the organization to select Love.

It’s the classic case of low risk-high reward. Love is not expected to be the starter anytime soon, and his talent is evident. He’s got the size, speed, and arm talent to be a great pro, eventually. However, he is still very much in development.

Down the road, he could be the Packers starting quarterback and it appears Gutekunst hopes that is the case after raving about him during his post-draft conference call.

“He’s a very natural thrower, can make all the throws. He’s a very good athlete, he has the size we look for. There’s some rawness to him, but we feel like he has everything in front of him,” he said.

Gutekunst added that he hadn’t spoken to Rodgers yet about the pick but said, “he’s a pro” and believes the future Hall of Famer will conduct himself like one.

Meanwhile, it’s no secret Green Bay didn’t get any closer to a Super Bowl following this selection. With six rounds remaining, let’s hope they continue to surround QB1 with more talent so the Lombardi trophy can return home sooner rather than later.

Brandon Carwile wrote:

I'm not sure I agree that "Green Bay didn't get any closer to a Super Bowl following this selection." That's thinking too shallowly in my opinion. Rodgers has missed a not insignificant number of games due to injury over the past few seasons. Without Rodgers on the field, this team has had practically no chance of sustaining a push to the postseason, much less succeeding in the playoffs. If Love has the talent to keep the train from derailing the next time Rodgers gets hurt, having him on the roster could very well bring the team closer to the big dance. For the first time in a very long time, the Packers may have a credible backup quarterback on the sidelines.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
3 years ago

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
3 years ago

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
3 years ago

UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
3 years ago

I keep seeing “Rodgers didn’t buy into the offense”. What proof of that being the case is there? Could it be he didn’t have the weapons to properly execute the offense?
Will this pick “light a fire” under Rodgers?
My personal opinion is that Rodgers will be more open to teach Love then he got from Favre.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I'm not gonna say that Rodgers didn't buy into the offense but he clearly wanted to put his personal touch on it at times by eschewing the short open man underneath to extend the play to create something downfield. It also looks bad for all involved if after a acrimonious breakup that saw a QB no longer buying into a coach+scheme, going out to get a young offensive whizkid and for the QB to just continue on his own track regardless. Compare Rodgers to Brees+Brady and their limitations. Both the Saints+Pats constructed ball control offenses to help their QBs and not ask them to make tons of throws downfield as well as minimize hits on the QB.

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
warhawk
3 years ago
So there are a ton of people who would have rather seen a WR or OL selected to help Arod out. Unfortunately There was an early run on OL and later at WR. Besides, Arod doesn't throw the ball to rookie WR's. Now there were a few that may have the talent to impress him enough to throw it their way once in awhile, however, they were all gone.

Last year the picked Gary at 12. A developmental player who hopefully starts to live up to his potential but not many expected much out of him early. I didn't see Arod jumping up and down on his couch pissed off at that pick. After all, he hasn't caught a pass yet, right?
I think that Gute probably had a couple of OL and WR's in mind that might possibly make it to #30 but when that didn't happen and both Murray and Queen went off the board he saw Love as obviously the BPA by a good margin. I mean they could have picked a guy like Mims and a lot of people would have been good with that. IMO when I look at it that way I'm good with the pick. A player like a Mims could have a very solid career. A guy like Love could be the future. I get taking the shot.
Here's to hoping Gute finds better value at WR, OL, or ilB in the next couple of rounds vs. possibly reaching for one at #30.
I'm going to chill in the meantime and see how it all works out tonight.

"The train is leaving the station."
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
Haha ... scout team.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
3 years ago
Damn, if these clips are any indication, Love is not afraid to wing it into tight holes.

UserPostedImage