dfosterf
2 years ago
IF you take my advice and seek a buyer agent, try not to freak out about the buyer agency agreement. It is required by law. You are NOT going to be forced to pay a commission of any kind without complete foreknowledge that it is a scenario that requires it. It is extraordinarily rare, would probably be a for sale by owner with a ridiculously low price that refused to pay the 3% to your buyer agent, and you love the property/price with the commission payable by you. Almost never happens, and again, you would know all about it, in writing ad nauseum...What is really at stake is you have to work through this agent, but you can terminate at any time, with the proviso you cannot go behind his back on anything you two worked on together...his/her time and trouble is protected. Without going into detail, your agent is just like a lawyer. He or she owes you loyalty, confidentiality, etc. BY LAW. Agency is a legal term.
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

IF you take my advice and seek a buyer agent, try not to freak out about the buyer agency agreement. It is required by law. You are NOT going to be forced to pay a commission of any kind without complete foreknowledge that it is a scenario that requires it. It is extraordinarily rare, would probably be a for sale by owner with a ridiculously low price that refused to pay the 3% to your buyer agent, and you love the property/price with the commission payable by you. Almost never happens, and again, you would know all about it, in writing ad nauseum...What is really at stake is you have to work through this agent, but you can terminate at any time, with the proviso you cannot go behind his back on anything you two worked on together...his/her time and trouble is protected. Without going into detail, your agent is just like a lawyer. He or she owes you loyalty, confidentiality, etc. BY LAW. Agency is a legal term.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

I can't imagine not having an agent. I just need to ensure the costs and what I'm comfortable with paying. If things get out of hand, I'll just buy a outdated farm in the country and call it a day.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
2 years ago

I agree with you. I don't have a wife or that female presence to consider and I'm not swayed by boobies. I'm very much a numbers over all kind of guy.

This is a house for me and my youngest daughter (8 years old), Scarlett. And it's a place I envision riding into my retirement with and probably dying in. The intentions are a forever home, not a fix it up and bail thing.

I like this one, but I don't want to submit any offer that exceeds $190,000.
https://www.coldwellbanker.com/property/2557-Haven-Rd-Green-Bay-WI-54313/75853785/detail?src=list 

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I looked at last year's average list and average selling price in Green Bay. There was a 20k differential 190 vs 170. I also looked at December vs. now, and the price trend took a pretty big leap. GB has been historically somewhat flat, but this combination of covid 19, low interest rates, the pull of astronomical building materials on the new home market on existing properties, the seasonal aspect of this being when people are buying ALL factor in... You can write at 190, but a buyer agent would be much better armed to tell you HOW to write at it, or if you should...Flaws he can point out (you can't) SO many things he can do that increase the likelihood of best price...

dfosterf
2 years ago
See? We already got psychological shit going on here that I see that you may not...This home is listed at 199.9 not 200. Why? Think gas prices.. It COULD be the listing agent and the seller are employing a strategy to get people to have it pop up when entering a under 200k criteria, or it could be that the seller wanted to list it at something like 210 and the listing agent convinced him of the folly of that if he wants to sell quickly. It could be they overpriced the frigging thing and hope some rube comes along with a 10 k below list offer thinking he is getting a good deal.. should I go on? Lol
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

I agree with you. I don't have a wife or that female presence to consider and I'm not swayed by boobies. I'm very much a numbers over all kind of guy.

This is a house for me and my youngest daughter (8 years old), Scarlett. And it's a place I envision riding into my retirement with and probably dying in. The intentions are a forever home, not a fix it up and bail thing.

I like this one, but I don't want to submit any offer that exceeds $190,000.
https://www.coldwellbanker.com/property/2557-Haven-Rd-Green-Bay-WI-54313/75853785/detail?src=list 

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I like this last house the best. Probably because it's the newest.
All 3 homes are in flood zone "X". That means it's not in the flood zone. This last one is VERY close. In addition to looking at the FEMA zone I have been pulling up the flood map. The 100 year plane is right out your front door. I will get some pictures and post them here.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
2 years ago
So, let's pretend I'm kev's agent. We looked at the map. We determined when the last flood was, where it was, the likelihood of that line ever moving, etc. Now I have something Kevin never would have.
I call the listing agent. Hey this is Dave Fike from screw you realty, I got a well qualified client that might be writing on your listing on rotten crotch avenue, but he's really sweating it's proximity to shit's creek and that friggin potential flood zone designation. I was just wondering if you discussed this with your client, 'cause frankly, I'm a little nervous about it myself. I don't want him getting jammed with a 1k fip down the road, ya know what I mean? Anyway, we're thinking 190 looks just about right, I ran the comps and that property on bumbfuck went at that and is no where near that flood line, whaddya think?
beast
2 years ago
First off great thread! One I need to read whenever I get time... but I don't right now, but just some experience I've had with family, and some things I'm hearing about the current market.

Even if you get an agent, don't quit looking yourself! At least if you have the time. I know my parents were looking for something very specific (enough land to have what I call a small farm, them being farmer kids, call it a large garden)... but it had to have enough land to farm, had to have a source of water for the plants, be above the flood plain, but also not too much land where it cost a ton in taxes and buying it. Plus you know, a house with space and was a nice house.

But they kept looking where everyone was tired of looking, I think the agent was ready to give up, my parents then try to settle and even bid on some houses that I don't think they would of liked as it clearly had some items missing that they really wanted.

It took forever, but my dad finally found one, a bit more out in the country, told the agent about it (the selling agent was the same company)... and it was their property of their dreams (other than it was multi-levels house with stairs but that hasn't been a problem so far).

Also the agent told us, there is absolutely no way they're going below the list price (I smelled BS, and was wondering if one or both of the agents were just trying to maximum the offer)... anyways my dad of course offered a price under a good bit under their asking price and they accepted the first offer (which shocked everyone). But the home owners were tired to waiting, and I guess they had two home mortgages out on the house.

Points being
[list]
  • Know what you want
  • Know what you need to be happy
  • Keep looking until you find it, don't settle
  • Look yourself, even if you get an agent, you might like something they don't notice
  • Don't always trust the agent when they say things like they won't go down (might be true, but it also might not be)
  • Always check flood plains and other factors[/list]

• As I said, they wanted something above the flood plain and good thing too, as there was a massive flood... and they didn't have much of a problem, but sadly a lot of people did. One of my former co-workers, sadly basically had all their stuff destroyed in the flood.

Also it's not just floods, earthquake areas, lime stone, land moving, other natural items to keep on the look out for. One house my parents liked and I thought they might get, shocked me, but I guess the land was moving? The entire house was a couple inches or feet over one way than it was supposed to be over a decade, and while it might not be a problem, the bank didn't trust it, as the house was no long 100% on the foundation. Sounded like still over 95% was, and probably continue to be over the next decade, but land moving isn't good.

I know where I grew up, when the news got slow, they would go cover people complaining about airplanes doing damage to their houses, as commercial developers bought and built houses in a Millitary airport potential crash zone, and sold it to people whom didn't know the airport was so nearby. Of course the house was sold to them without anyone telling them it might be a problem, and then when they move in, they suddenly have extremely loud low flying planes going over their houses. Which sometimes does damage either to the windows or vibrating things, until they become loose and fall.

Current Market
    Based on news reports in general, it sounds like it's a red hot seller's market.

Where sellers are getting more than what they're asking for, and so much so, they buyers are skipping the professional home inspection.

Never skip the professional home inspection! They'll catch important things you wouldn't think to test... the main house I grew up in, looked great! But the roof in one spot was horrible, where an extremely thin 18 year old literally fell through the roof... to the floor. Lucky it happened in slow-mo like quicksand, and he was able to grab onto something that held him before purposely letting go and dropping all the way. The roof looked GREAT... it wasn't... but it looked that way.

But right now, in this current seller's market, you're probably going to have to over pay to get a house. And if you're cool with that, then no problem, or it's the perfect house, then maybe that's no problem. But if you want a better value, you also might want to wait until the market cools off a bit and becomes more equal (maybe). Of course, you never know these things for sure, when, where or why different changes might happen.

UserPostedImage
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    2 years ago
     IMG_20210507_094240229.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
     IMG_20210507_094215446.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

My bad. The colored area is the 500 year flood plane not the 100 year. The company I use didn't use to give us the 500 year zone because it doesn't matter. Still something for you to consider since the basement is partially finished. You have a sump pump so it must get damp every once in a while. The house I bought had water issues so they installed a drainage pipe in the basement. It is always musty down there. I think if I took all the crap we have down stairs and tossed it then pulled up the flooring and gave it a good cleaning I could get rid of the smell but I only have a 50% vote and my 50% doesn't count when it comes to tossing her stuff.
    UserPostedImage
    beast
    2 years ago

I like this last house the best. Probably because it's the newest.
    All 3 homes are in flood zone "X". That means it's not in the flood zone. This last one is VERY close. In addition to looking at the FEMA zone I have been pulling up the flood map. The 100 year plane is right out your front door. I will get some pictures and post them here.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I would like to point out that the 10 year and 100 year flood stuff is BS...

I know someone whom had TWO 100 year floods happen in the same exact decade.

And my area has gotten a couple of 10 year floods in the same exact year.

So I'd say potentially divide those by 10... a 10 year flood can happen any given year. An 100 year flood can happen about once a decade.

I don't know if the names are purposely incorrect to give more confidence, or that climate change or humans are changing things.

Like I know it's said in the Houston area, it didn't used to flood as much, but they're taken so much grass land and turned in into roads, the land isn't exorbing rain waters any where near as fast as it used to, when they first started keep track.

UserPostedImage
    dfosterf
    2 years ago
    Red hot market? I live in Alexandria, VA now. Google "Northern Virginia real estate market" Open houses with a line down the block to get in the house. Multiple offers over list during the open house (one example 60k over list) MANY homes being offered and accepted SIGHT unseen by the buyer.. God, I miss Pennsylvania, lol These people here have far more money than sense, lol