Zero2Cool
10 months ago
Devonte Wyatt | Defensive Tackle | Utah State | 6'3" - 304 lbs.

Overview
Highly active defensive tackle with decent strength. Wyatt is made for movement and disruptions. He helped himself in 2021 with better tape both against the run and as a pass rusher. His lateral quickness is useful in beating zone blocks and in sliding across the front in a game-based pass rush. Wyatt has adequate strength but struggles to withstand a second blocker. The traits are average, but the effort is consistent and Wyatt should fit nicely as a rotational, gap-seeking three-technique with disruptive flashes.

Strengths
[list]
  • Initial punch lands with some pop.
  • Lateral quickness beats move-blocker to the spot.
  • Uses slip-rip for penetration into A-gap.
  • Locates ball-carriers quickly when two-gapping.
  • Hustles around the field looking to make a play.
  • Shows urgency in locating a pass blocker's edge.
  • Enough lower-body strength to plow through redirect blocks.
  • Above-average change of direction inside pocket.[/list]

• Weaknesses
    [list]
  • Length is below average.
  • Average explosiveness into the neutral zone.
  • Tendency to drop helmet into initial contact.
  • Not enough sand to withstand down blocks.
  • Average hand usage and shed quickness.
  • Rush energy bogs down when stiff punches find him.
  • Lack of length shows up in his rush.
  • [*]Doesn't have go-to moves for quick-rush wins.[/list]
    UserPostedImage
    nerdmann
    10 months ago
    Kinda feels like a Joe Barry draft. Getting him some guys to fit his system.

The one where we got Love and Dillan was a Matt LaFleur draft. Josiah DeGuara. Those guys.

We'll get some pass catchers though. Don't stress on it!
    “Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    Mucky Tundra
    10 months ago
    I thought they might go with him at #22 when I was skimming over the draft the previous month but then saw he was 24 years old and figured that was too old for Gute but here we are. Finally get another big talented guy up front to help Kenny. Clark, Wyatt, Reed, Slaton and Lowry should be pretty solid up front.
    “Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
    UserPostedImage
    "I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
    PHGuest
    10 months ago
    Devonte Wyatt was surprising because I have NEVER seen Gute or Ted touch a player with a domestic violence history. Also were some academic issues at Georgia. Both huge red flags to me, and A LOT of teams had taken him off their draft boards. Gute says he dug deep on his character, I will accept that. It is concerning though.

I know some here will tell me the 3 or 4 incidences of domestic violence are no big deal. I should just shut up about it, because he is a good player. I will again say that it is concerning.

Hopefully, he has found the help he needs, and will be a welcome addition to the locker room.
    nerdmann
    10 months ago
    Originally Posted by: PackerNation 

Devonte Wyatt was surprising because I have NEVER seen Gute or Ted touch a player with a domestic violence history. Also were some academic issues at Georgia. Both huge red flags to me, and A LOT of teams had taken him off their draft boards. Gute says he dug deep on his character, I will accept that. It is concerning though.

I know some here will tell me the 3 or 4 incidences of domestic violence are no big deal. I should just shut up about it, because he is a good player. I will again say that it is concerning.

Hopefully, he has found the help he needs, and will be a welcome addition to the locker room.

Alleged domestic situations. Gutey says they did not involve violence. Apparently charges were dropped.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    nerdmann
    10 months ago
    This dude has a little pass rush up the middle. Not many guys like that. He is one. Kenny is another. Good against the run too, of course.
    Zero2Cool
    10 months ago

UserPostedImage
    yooperfan
    10 months ago
    I'm satisfied with our first round picks, but I really want Christian Watson on day two.
    PHGuest
    10 months ago
    I like the Quay Walker pick.

The Packers could pick a hairy tree stump and some here would claim it is destined to be a Hall Of Famer.

I will take a wait and see approach on Wyatt. I'm glad we have Jarron Reed, and T.J. Slaton, so this rook can be part of a good rotation, and maybe develop into something special in a couple years.

Yes, I get it, I'm wrong: "He is going to be a superstar stud immediately and T.J. and Jarron won't see the field as much as Wyatt will this season."🙄

Zero2Cool
    10 months ago
    Originally Posted by: PackerNation 

I like the Quay Walker pick.

The Packers could pick a hairy tree stump and some here would claim it is destined to be a Hall Of Famer.

I will take a wait and see approach on Wyatt. I'm glad we have Jarron Reed, and T.J. Slaton, so this rook can be part of a good rotation, and maybe develop into something special in a couple years.

Yes, I get it, I'm wrong: "He is going to be a superstar stud immediately and T.J. and Jarron won't see the field as much as Wyatt will this season."🙄

Whoa, try to calm down on the generalizing of people on this here website. Why the hell people feel the need to be weak and label people just pisses me off.

We have no idea what Wyatt (or Walker) is going to be. He could be a stud. He might take two years to provide and production. He might retire in December. No one knows anything yet, but for the love of God, it is OK to be excited about rookies. This kid should help the Packers defense. As Aaron Rodgers said yesterday, DEFENSE WINS CHAPIONSHIPS.
    UserPostedImage
    beast
    10 months ago
    Hey despite Zero2Cool's lack of faith, I got one pick correct 😁

Originally Posted by: beast 

1) Edge Jermaine Johnson II, Florida State
    1) DT Devonte Wyatt, Georgia

1) DT Devonte Wyatt, Georgia
    Wyatt didn't get as much attention as some others on the DL as he's the small one at 6'3" 315lbs, but of their interior guys he was their best pass rushers.

I just love the idea of getting four great guys on the DL with Gary, Clark, Wyatt and Johnson for long time.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Brian Gutekunst hasn't drafted someone over 22 years old in round one. I don't think that changes this year.

beast
    10 months ago

We have no idea what Wyatt (or Walker) is going to be. He could be a stud. He might take two years to provide and production. He might retire in December. No one knows anything yet, but for the love of God, it is OK to be excited about rookies. This kid should help the Packers defense. As Aaron Rodgers said yesterday, DEFENSE WINS CHAPIONSHIPS.

Absolutely, also DTs usually seem to suck as rookies and come on after their rookie years, I think they need a year to adjust to NFL OL vs college, the strength and quickness.

Of course, at times there are exceptions, but I try to never expect much from a rookie DT (well rookies in general, but especially DTs).

But I'm very excited, I've been waiting two stud DTs for a while and Clark is a natural NT (0,1 technique across from the center) and he's the best NT in the entire NFL. But he's also been the Packers pass rusher, and they've needed to put their best interior pass rusher at the 3 tech (outside OG shoulder), so they had to use Clark there, which I'm sure Clark loves as it's more of a flashy and fan notice role, but he's a natural NT, elite run stuffing with better pass rushing than any NT in the NFL.

But Wyatt can play the 3 tech which is his strength, and Clark can play the NT which is his strength. And if they stay healthy, Gary, Clark, Wyatt, Smith... someone (or two) is going to be getting one on ones!

Also with this scheme, Barry loves to have six man boxes (light against the run) and have 4 man pass rushes, these picks certainly help that.
    bboystyle
    10 months ago
    Love this pick over the Quay one. Our run defense just got better.
    blank
    Zero2Cool
    10 months ago
    Originally Posted by: beast 

Hey despite Zero2Cool's lack of faith, I got one pick correct 😁

I completely avoided anyone over 22 with my round one picks. I also was confident no chance Packers draft ILB in round one after re-sigininig their All-Pro ILB.

You know nothing, Zero2Cool!!!
    UserPostedImage
    beast
    10 months ago

I completely avoided anyone over 22 with my round one picks. I also was confident no chance Packers draft ILB in round one after re-sigininig their All-Pro ILB.

You know nothing, Zero2Cool!!!

Absolutely, and I was under the assumption that the Packers preferred using a Safety as the dime LB/S role as other than drafting ILB Burks they haven't seemed to even attempt to change it in over a decade... maybe two 🤔

So I thought they'd go for another Safety first, and Vikings did pick up Georgia's physical safety at #32.