buckeyepackfan
10 months ago

Do you like to pull for an underdog?  Of course you do.  You’re a Packers fan.  Your team is America’s favorite underdog.  Green Bay is not just the smallest NFL city, it is the smallest by a mile.  It’s population of around 104,000 is roughly one-third of the next smallest host city, which is Buffalo.  The odds of such a modest town in a cold weather climate retaining a franchise in the world’s biggest and most profitable professional sports league are nearly impossible.   

Without a wealthy owner, owned by ordinary fans throughout the world, competing against mega cities like New York and Chicago and Los Angeles, makes the Packers the ultimate underdog.  Yet not only have they competed, they are the NFL’s all time winningest franchise.  It is the most unlikely story in all of sports. 

What better team then, for an underdog player like Dontayvion Wicks?  The fifth round draft pick is trying to break into a receiver rotation that includes projected starters Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs, second year veteran Samori Toure, who is already being tabbed as one of the most improved players on the team, and this year’s second round pick Jayden Reed, whom many have penciled in as the starter in the slot. 

Then there is seventh round selection Grant DuBose, plus free agents Bo Melton, Jeff Cotton, Malik Heath, Duece Watts, and the recently signed Jadakis Bonds.  The odds of Wicks breaking through that logjam to garner significant playing time are stacked against him. 

So what else is new?  The University of Virginia product has been successfully beating the odds all of his life, starting with growing up in a small Louisiana bayou town of about six thousand residents, 27 percent of whom lived at or below the poverty line.  The crime rate in that town was 54 percent above the national average. 

Yet Wicks excelled as a three sport athlete at the local high school.  He thought of himself mainly as a basketball player, and imagined that would be his ticket to a college scholarship.  But once he began playing football in his sophomore year, as both a quarterback and a receiver, he quickly realized the gridiron would be his forte. 

Wicks’ hometown is an outlying community of Baton Rouge, in the shadow of college powerhouse LSU, but Wicks did not get much attention from them.  As a three star recruit, he had offers from smaller programs such as New Mexico and Louisiana Lafayette.  Finally, a power five conference school took notice.  The University of Virginia football progam had been working the state of Louisiana hard, and wound up signing the eighteen year old prospect.  This was the ACC, his best chance to get widespread attention.   

After playing sparingly his freshman year, Wicks was in line to be a major contributor as a sophomore.  But adversity struck.  The 6-1 pass catcher suffered a serious foot injury in August preseason workouts.  He would miss the entire 2020 season, during which the team would post a 5-5 record.  Rather than sulk and get down on himself, Wicks worked even harder to come back, and when he took the field at the start of the 2021 campaign, he was a revelation. 

He set a school record for receiving yards with 1,203.  He was first team all ACC after 57 catches and 9 touchdowns.  His average of 21.1 yards per reception led the conference and was fourth nationwide. Just as he was bursting on to the national consciousness, another tough break.  Because of a severe Covid outbreak on the team, Virginia canceled the final two games of the season, plus a berth in the Fenway Bowl, which would have been a chance for the Cavaliers star to display his talent across the country on ESPN.  Still, Wicks was among the most highly regarded college receiving prospects in the country coming into 2022. 

Then another challenge arrived.  Brock Mendenhall, under whose system Wicks thrived, unexpectedly resigned as head coach, citing burnout.  He was replaced by Tony Elliott, who had been offensive coordinator at Clemson.  Elliott brought a completely new offense to Virginia, one which required, among other things, a change in the way receivers were to run their routes.  Wicks struggled with the transition.  Then injury struck again.  He missed two games.  When he was finally able to get back on the field, his productivity had slipped.  In six games, he had 30 catches for 430 yards and two scores.  Not terrible, but not up to the lofty expectations observers had set for him.   

However, the worst was yet to come. 

On November 13, 2022, Christopher Darnell Jones, a former member of the Virginia football team, produced a gun and opened fire on students on a chartered bus, which was returning from a field trip to Washington DC.  Several current team members were on board.  Three of them were killed.  Two of the victims, Lavel Davis and Devin Chandler, were receivers, close friends and position teammates with Wicks.  The third fatality was linebacker D’Sean Parry.  Two other students, including one player, were injured.  A stunned and grieving campus canceled the rest of the season, and football faded into the tragic cloud of the incident. 

It was with that backdrop of adversity that Wicks learned he had been selected in round five of the NFL draft by the Packers.  He has dedicated his career to his fallen teammates.  "Knowing that they wanted to be in this position I'm in” he said, “I’m doing this for them, knowing that was their biggest goal, being able to be in this position, I thank God. I know they're watching over me every day." 

Wicks also hasn’t forgotten where he came from.  He beat the odds again by finishing his degree in American Studies at UVA.  “A lot of people thought I wouldn’t graduate from there, coming from where I came from” he told media gathered around his locker at Lambeau Field.  He says it was hard work, but he did it for his mother.  “That (getting his degree) was a bigger goal for her, than it was for me getting into the league.  She was more happy with that than for me getting drafted.” 

His goal is to use his degree to start his own business, one that might allow him to mentor kids who need to see a path out of poverty and crime.  “I want to help kids because I didn’t know what I wanted to do when I was young....give them resources to develop faster.” 

Now there’s an underdog to pull for. 

Dontayvion faces a tough battle for playing time on this Packers team, but the staff thought enough of him to bring him in for a pre-draft interview.  Not particularly fast with a 4.62 forty yard dash, scouts say he needs work on precision route running and a propensity for drops.  But the Packers also noticed the ease with which he seems to be able to separate down the field and track the ball.  His raw athletic ability jumps off the screen.  The Packers are betting that his junior year performance is a more accurate example of his skill set.  “When you watch the ’21 tape,” Packers director of football operations Milt Hendrickson said about Wicks, “there’s a significant difference.  And at this point in the draft, when you’re taking a player like that, that’s what we’re hanging our hat on.” 

Long shot or not, I wouldn’t count him out.  He’s not afraid of a challenge.  He has overcome a lot to get here.  Wicks is my pick to be the surprise jewel of the 2023 rookie class. 

Filed Under:

[URL=/blog/category/green-bay-packers-0" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Green Bay Packers[/URL]

[URL=/blog/category/featured" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Featured[/URL]

[URL=/blog/category/authors/kenn-lass" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Ken Lass[/URL]

[URL=/blog/category/columns-and-features/the-lass-word" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]The Lass Word[/URL]

Ken Lass is a former Green Bay television sports anchor and 43 year media veteran, a lifelong Packers fan, and a shareholder.

NFL Categories:

[URL=/taxonomy/term/12336" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Green Bay Packers[/URL]

Tags:

[URL=/blog/category/green-bay-packers" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Green Bay Packers[/URL]

[URL=/tag/dontayvion-wicks" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Dontayvion Wicks[/URL]

0 points

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.