Zero2Cool
13 years ago
At season's halfway point, Green Bay Packers more upbeat than same time last year 

A year ago, the Green Bay Packers were sitting at the .500 mark halfway through their regular-season schedule and were coming off one of the worst losses of coach Mike McCarthys tenure, falling at previously winless Tampa Bay.

The next day, Packers President Mark Murphy publicly expressed disappointment in the way the first half of the season went and put the onus on McCarthy and General Manager Ted Thompson to turn things around.

Theyre only one game better at the midway point of this season, but after Sundays 9-0 road victory at the New York Jets and given the circumstances surrounding this season, theres a different feeling around Lambeau Field.

McCarthy was unusually jovial in his Monday news conference and while Murphy declined to discuss the season, saying through a team spokesman that he preferred to leave that to the general manager, Thompson praised McCarthy and his staff for weathering a wave of injuries yet still keeping the teams championship hopes alive.

I think hes (held the team together) the way hes always done it, Thompson said. I think the coaching staff does a great job of being focused on whats next, and they have a good eye for the big picture. But in the NFL, youve got to get ready for the next play. Thats what we do. Thats what they do a great job of, and I think thats what the players do.

At 5-3, the Packers have a half-game lead over Chicago (4-3) in the NFC North and are tied with New Orleans for the fourth-best record in the NFC behind Atlanta, Tampa Bay and the New York Giants (all tied at 5-2). Halfway through last season, the Packers were tied for the eighth-best record in the NFC.

Last season, McCarthy said he rallied the team to an 11-5 finish and a wild-card playoff berth by sticking to his principles and staying consistent with his approach. That had to be especially challenging this season after losing 10 players, including five starters, to season-ending injuries.

Thompson has had to shuffle the roster, while McCarthy and his assistants have had to spend more time teaching schemes to new players, something normally reserved for training camp. Last week alone, Thompson acquired four new players two off waivers and two off the street. All but one played against the Jets. Defensive lineman Howard Green played nearly half the snaps, and linebacker Erik Walden played on some key third down snaps.

Between the final roster cuts on Sept. 4 and the eighth game, Thompson and his personnel staff have been busy. They have signed five street free agents, promoted two players from the practice squad, claimed two off waivers and made one trade. Through eight games last season, they had signed three free agents and promoted one from the practice squad.

Youre always doing the work and preparing, and (scouts) Reggie (McKenzie) and Eliot (Wolf) and Tim (Terry) and those guys do a great job, Thompson said, Theyre always comparing lists and scenarios and things like that. Its rare that we have to go through so many different scenarios, but its part of the process.

If the make-or-break point of last season came following the loss to the Buccaneers, perhaps this year it came after the consecutive overtime losses at Washington on Oct. 10 and home against Miami seven days later. Since then, the Packers have come up with masterful defensive performances to beat Minnesota with a stop on the Vikings final drive and shut out the Jets, who came into the game tied for the best record in the NFL. Almost no one in the state press or national media picked the Packers to win in New York.

We appreciate the negative stories, so if you can keep that up, thats always helpful, McCarthy said with a smile. Its all part of our business. Its important to stack successes. The hardest thing to handle in my opinion in the NFL is handling success, and by no means do I think winning two games is a success. But its definitely in the right direction, and that will be part of our language this week when we get together as a football team.

Much like his even-keeled general manager, McCarthy didnt spend much time being introspective on Monday. Theres one more game, Sunday night at home against the struggling Dallas Cowboys, before the much-anticipated bye week. Theyre not going to get the 10 players on injured reserve back this season, but the bye should allow some ailing players to heal for the stretch run.

There are things to fix, too, during the bye. Priority number one likely will be figuring out whats holding back what was expected to be an explosive offense.

Weve been fighting through a tough spot, McCarthy said. To go on the road into New York, very pleased with particularly our defense and our special teams. Its definitely something we can build on. Our approach moving forward is its a seven-day season.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

13h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.