wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

Packers by Position: Quarterbacks 

Friends and foes alike reached for superlatives to describe Aaron Rodgers at the conclusion of the Green Bay Packers' championship season.

As the Packers prepare for a Super Bowl encore, their chances hinge on getting another run of excellence from their invaluable quarterback.

"I think he has the best set of skills in the league, as far as his pinpoint accuracy and his athletic ability," coach Mike McCarthy said the morning after the Packers defeated the Steelers, 31-25, in Super Bowl XLV. "He was so consistent throughout the season, and even more so in the playoffs.

"And, all of his best football is in front of him."

In Pittsburgh, there was nothing but respect for Rodgers after he played arguably one of the half-dozen greatest games by a quarterback in Super Bowl history. Steelers players and coaches alike all basically said Rodgers just beat them.

"Dan Marino had the quickest release I've ever seen," Keith Butler, a linebacker for Seattle from 1978-'87 and the Steelers linebackers coach since '03, said in June. "I think Rodgers has the same thing, and Rodgers maybe has a little more heat on the ball.

"We didn't give them the game. They made the plays that were necessary to win."

Mainly, the Super Bowl was a game in which Rodgers parried Dick LeBeau's killer zone-blitz scheme by making precision throws downfield and never once falling victim to a confusion-caused turnover.

"He's an incredibly accurate quarterback," Steelers safety Troy Polamalu said after the Super Bowl. "Quite honestly, no matter who is out there, Aaron Rodgers is putting the ball on the spot."

In truly a remarkable sequence of events, the Packers have successfully replaced one franchise quarterback with another.

Seventeen years ago, Brett Favre also was preparing for his fourth season as the starter in Green Bay. Behind Favre, the Packers had gone 26-19 in the regular season and 2-2 in the playoffs for an overall record of 28-21 (.571).

Favre's third season in 1994 had been his finest. His passer ratings in three seasons as the starter were 83.0 in the regular season, 79.9 in the playoffs and 82.7 overall.

"I told Brett at our meeting today that he was on the right path and, hopefully, there will be a time when he's considered one of the great ones," quarterbacks coach Steve Mariucci said in July 1995.

That summer, Pro Football Weekly's Joel Buchsbaum ranked Favre No. 6 at the position behind Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Marino, John Elway and Drew Bledsoe.

Today, Rodgers enters his fourth season as the starter with a regular-season record of 27-20, a playoff record of 4-1 and an overall record of 31-21 (.596). In those three seasons, his ratings were 99.4 in the regular season, 112.6 in the playoffs and 100.7 overall.

When Rodgers helped the Packers win a wild-card game in Philadelphia, a city in which Favre had gone 0-6, LeRoy Butler said Rodgers had stepped out from Favre's shadow forever.

"It didn't take the Super Bowl," said Butler, an analyst for JSOnline. "When he beat Philly in Philly, it was done. Aaron Rodgers is Aaron Rodgers. It's the new Aaron Rodgers era."

LeRoy Butler, one of the two greatest safeties in Packers history, said Rodgers would rank among the league's top two quarterbacks in arm strength, reading defenses, throwing motion and foot speed.

"I've studied this guy more than any quarterback in the league," LeRoy Butler said. "I just don't know anything else he needs to work on. If you look for a guy you want to build your franchise around right now, it's him."

Provided his post-operative neck doesn't become problematic, Peyton Manning joins Tom Brady atop the quarterback heap. After that, Rodgers would seem in a pack with Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger and Philip Rivers.

"I think Manning and Brady are by far head and shoulders above everybody else that maybe has ever played the game other than Joe Montana," said Ray Horton, who left his post as secondary coach in Pittsburgh three days after the Super Bowl to become defensive coordinator in Arizona. "Then there are some other special quarterbacks.

"Ben. Philip Rivers. Rodgers. Then (Joe) Flacco, (Matt) Ryan. But if you ask me who the next guy is that will break through the ceiling, I think Aaron Rodgers just broke the glass with his head."

Rodgers overcame the loss of Ryan Grant in Week 1 and the loss of Jermichael Finley in Week 5. His receivers dropped 96 passes in two seasons.

After ranking a middling 16th at midseason with a rating of 85.3, Rodgers put up an astronomical rating of 122.1 and 71.4% completion mark in the last 12 games.

Befitting the Super Bowl champion, opposing coaching staffs will have broken down the Packers' offense all off-season. Rodgers will be challenged by fresh defensive schemes, but barring a third concussion or major injury LeRoy Butler thinks Rodgers will be ready.

"They'll want to find out how smart Aaron really is," he said. "They'll make him be patient by dropping eight a lot of times and then will come from the weak side with six-man blitzes. Thing about Aaron Rodgers, he learns from his mistakes."

Backup Matt Flynn enters the final year of his four-year contract seven months away from being able to test the unrestricted free-agent market.

The Packers basically have taken the stance that it would take a first-round draft choice to acquire Flynn.

"I'm not letting him go," McCarthy said just before the lockout. "I think the value of that No. 2 quarterback position went way up. You better have two quarterbacks if you want to win a championship."

Last winter, one of the eight new coaches in the league was told by a friend in scouting that Flynn was the one quarterback worth trying to obtain.

"The kid caught my eye, and he's done nothing but confirm what I saw years ago," the personnel man said.

"He is a strong asset. He played, looked good. Hell, he almost beat the New England Patriots, and he won a national championship in college."

For now, at least, the No. 3 is unproven Graham Harrell.

"There's a reason why we kept that kid around here," said McCarthy. "I think he has a chance. Absolutely."

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (20h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (21h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.