wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

Undrafted free agent Dezman Moses was the camp darling last year on the Green Bay Packers defense. The year before that it was Vic So’oto, and this year it just may be undrafted rookie Andy Mulumba. It seems every year an unproven outside linebacker splashes on the scene and makes some noise in camp.

Last year, Moses brought intensity to practice every day, and after joining the team as a long shot to make the final roster, he moved up the Packers’ depth chart in rapid fashion with his outstanding play in camp.

Moses proved to be a key contributor on defense during the season last year. With Nick Perry injured and Erik Walden starting at outside linebacker alongside Clay Matthews, Moses quickly became the Packers top reserve at outside linebacker and even got a few starts when Matthews went down with an injury. Moses ended up finishing third on the team with four sacks and proved to be a good rotational player that brought some pass rush from the outside.

So where is the intense and passionate Moses of last year?

So far in camp, Moses has been predominately absent. Entering this season, I thought he’d be a lock to make the final roster, and he’d push Perry for the starting left outside linebacker position. But as of now, it seems he may not even make the team.

It was reported in practice today by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that both Mike Nealand undrafted rookie Andy Mulumba were getting looks on the second-team defense ahead of Moses. Mulumba played outstanding in the last week’s preseason game, and Moses was unimpressive. He completely whiffed on an open field tackle as he tried to bring down running back Isaiah Pead in the flat on a swing pass. Moses also lost his man dropping back in zone coverage and gave up a 37-yard pass to Jared Cook. He wasn’t even close to the tight end. Plus, so far in camp, the second-year linebacker just hasn’t gotten the same pressure he did last year.

Maybe Moses will turn things around in the last two preseason games, but with the ascent of Mulumba and the utilization of Neal at outside linebacker, there seems to be very little room left for Moses on the outside. He’s going to have to compete with rookie sixth-round pick Nate Palmer for the final spot at the position, and Palmer got a few good pressures in Saturday night’s game.

Despite having a rough camp so far, Moses is a fighter and should at least make a run for the final roster. The Packers won’t easily forget his contributions to the team last year, and Moses still has two more preseason games to make a splash on defense.

LombardiAve  wrote:

I normally don't get too excited about the UDFAs. Every year there is someone who looks great and excites the imagination. Usually some one else comes along next year to take their place.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
It is a little odd that there seem to be so many flameouts from 2nd year OLB after promising rookie seasons. Maybe it's from mostly just rushing the passer their first year to rushing and coverage the second year that's tripping them up?
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

It is a little odd that there seem to be so many flameouts from 2nd year OLB after promising rookie seasons. Maybe it's from mostly just rushing the passer their first year to rushing and coverage the second year that's tripping them up?

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

That may well be the reason. Limited responsibilities their first yer and then as their role expands they are exposed for their weaknesses. there is a reason they were not first round picks.
UserPostedImage
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago
Moses is actually decent in coverage.

I think his problem is he trys to outspeed the offensive lineman instead of using his hands more.

I'd try to convert him to MLB, but we might as well call him Jamari Lattimore if we do that.

We could cut him, but I doubt it will happen unless he continues to regress.

play2win
10 years ago
I'm kind of thinking his really poor night was just like House's. more of a fluke? I don't know. But, I like Mulumba one hell of a lot.

Manning needs to learn how to finish, and to let his play do the talking. He flashes promise and instincts, but if he doesn't make the tackle or sack, it's kind of tough. Manning needs to turn it up. I think Moses will be OK, but there is one hell of a lot of competition. If Palmer cranks it up these last two weeks, Moses could be in for a real battle to keep his job.
nerdmann
10 years ago

I'm kind of thinking his really poor night was just like House's. more of a fluke? I don't know. But, I like Mulumba one hell of a lot.

Manning needs to learn how to finish, and to let his play do the talking. He flashes promise and instincts, but if he doesn't make the tackle or sack, it's kind of tough. Manning needs to turn it up. I think Moses will be OK, but there is one hell of a lot of competition. If Palmer cranks it up these last two weeks, Moses could be in for a real battle to keep his job.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I was afraid one of the young players who emerged last year would get overconfident or for whatever reason slump this year. I was afraid it would be Hayward, but at least there's more depth at that position. But who knows, Moses might bounce back. Maybe he's sick or something like Manning was last year.

I had a hard on for Nate Palmer after the draft, but Mulumba is starting to look like this year's Vic So'oto.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackerTraxx
10 years ago
Moses and Manning have been disappointments to me this year. I'm not down on them, I just thought they would have a much larger impact after a year in the training room and experience. And in Mannings case getting healthy.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (13m) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (4h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (4h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (21h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (22h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

50m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

52m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.