DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Perhaps Carl Bradford steps up this offseason and shows he can play well inside. Who knows!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
isocleas2
9 years ago
I expect a trade back also. The position the pack need to address the most (ILB) has no one with a 1st round grade, so trading back into the 2nd could still land them a top prospect without reaching. I think the only way they don't trade back is if a NT or CB they like falls to 30.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago
Two points:
1. It takes two to trade. If everyone thinks there are only a half round's worth of 1st round quality, it'll be rather hard to find a partner.
2. Last year I advocated trading down in a serious way because of the way the talent pool was especially skewed toward late-second to early-fourth round talent. Because I ended up taking things way too seriously when the draft went as it did for GB, I have intentionally not spent much time looking at draft talk/reports/commentary/etc. Anyone got more info on what kind and amount of 2nd-4th round talent out is out there this year?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DoddPower
9 years ago
If the top player remaining on the Packers board is available when their pick comes around, I hope they take him. If they can't distinguish between a pool of players, hopefully they trade back, if possible. Frankly, I hope there is a player available that the Packers ranked higher than anyone else remaining when they pick. Hopefully that would mean they get a good player and a good value without having to settle.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Two points:
1. It takes two to trade. If everyone thinks there are only a half round's worth of 1st round quality, it'll be rather hard to find a partner.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Of course it takes two to trade and if everyone grades players the same, why would there ever be any trades at all? Who said everyone thinks there only 16 first round grade worthy players? I cited one GM does and whom worked with the Packers and Ted Thompson so it is reasonable to assume they have somewhat similar grades on players. You're basically suggesting that 32 GM's are moderately in agreement. Think about that for a second and look at how many trades went down yesterday, lol.

I guess what I'm saying is your first point is bogus. :magnifygl 😄
UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago

I get Ted Thompson does a great job in the second and third round, but if we are looking at trying to find a starter at ILB and/or CB, do you trust it out of a 2nd round pick?

It could mean we trade up for once if there is someone on his board dropping to the point where the cost isn't too high.

I recognize increasing our odds by accumulating picks, but it seems wasteful at times to draft players you can't keep on your roster and other teams pluck from your practice squad or guys you cut.

The need to possibly address CB and ILB starters makes this a bit of a challenge.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

What matters is what the board looks like not what round a guy is taken in. You could draft the same guy in the late 1st or trade back into the 2nd and get him, it doesn't change how good or bad he is. Both our starting CBs last year were undrafted and our best ILB over the last 5+ seasons was a 5th or 6th rounder (Bishop). If a majority of the players on the board are 2nd round quality which is the assumption in Zero's OP then it makes sense to try and trade back and pick up something extra. You aren't losing quality in a player just because he doesn't have the prestige of being picked in the 1st round. I mean you are talking about a handfull of picks difference here between our 1st round selection (30) and a trade back scenario, do you really think the quality of players is going to drastically change in that time?
Rockmolder
9 years ago

Of course it takes two to trade and if everyone grades players the same, why would there ever be any trades at all? Who said everyone thinks there only 16 first round grade worthy players? I cited one GM does and whom worked with the Packers and Ted Thompson so it is reasonable to assume they have somewhat similar grades on players. You're basically suggesting that 32 GM's are moderately in agreement. Think about that for a second and look at how many trades went down yesterday, lol.

I guess what I'm saying is your first point is bogus. :magnifygl 😄

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I can't imagine that there are a lot of teams in this draft that feel like there are more than 20 legitimate first round picks.

Thing is, with the rookie cap in place, it doesn't really matter. If you want your guy, it doesn't reall make a difference if he's pushed up to the 30th spot because of a lack of talent in the draft. You're going to have to pull the trigger.

texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
Schneider's statement is what you'd expect somebody to say who just traded his first round pick.

I don't have any particular reason, but I don't expect the Packers to trade down. This team is deep and strong. We need quality more than quantity. Just the same, this is Ted Thompson we're talking about, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Just because past #1 picks haven't done so well, and past #2s have done well doesn't make #2s better. It's like flipping a coin and getting heads ten times - the chance of tails with #11 is still the same.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
beast
9 years ago

Whoa, that is something earth shattering isn't it? Let me quickly explain me sticking my neck out so far here. Former Ted Thompson disciple, John Schneider has just 16 players with a first round grade and it's easy to surmise Thompson in that same ball park. I could see the Packers trading back 10-15 spots while adding a 3rd rounder in the process at least.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

And here I thought you were going to base it on the Packers have the 30th overall pick, and what they did the last time they had the 30ths overall pick....

And the last time they had the 30ths overall pick they traded out of the first round by trading back six spots, letting the Jets draft TE Dustin Keller... and when Packers got to their pick they selected some kid named Jordy Nelson.
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

Though maybe one argument for not trading back is that the Seahawks and Patriots right behind the Packers might have some similar needs.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (2h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (7h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (15h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (15h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (20h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (20h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (20h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.