nerdmann
5 years ago

It was more than a swarm of railbirds that greeted the Green Bay Packers for the opening day of training camp.

Thanks to the Packer Experience, the huge playground surrounding Lambeau Field celebrating the launch of the team's 100th season of football that opened about two hours before practice, Ray Nitschke Field was literally overwhelmed by fans to greet the team and get the 2018 season underway.

There was the now very orchestrated bike brigade, with players hooking up with kids for rides to the field.  

There were screams coming from the bleachers as soon as the offensive players emerged from the Don Hutson Center and for even the most inane plays during warm-up drills and nearly every seat stay occupied for the entire two hour and twenty minute practice.

(Aaron Rodgers and DeShone Kizer go to work on day one)

There were two big plays that drew oohs and ahhs.  The first came during the very first team, 11 on 11 period.  In fact, the first pass attempt from Aaron Rodgers was a deep ball down the right sideline that Kevin King high pointed for an apparent interception.  The intended target, Randall Cobb, never quit on the play and after a tumble to the ground, came up with the ball.   After practice, King swore it was a pick but Rodgers said Cobb got the last laugh.

On the final play of the second team period, a no huddle set of plays, Rodgers let go another deep shot down the left sideline and Trevor Davis laid out at full speed for a very impressive diving catch.

After practice, Rodgers held court in front of his locker but it took a while to hear him talk about football.  Most of the questions concerned his contract negotiations with the team and the session began with Rodgers talking about checking off a bucket list item and conquering one of his biggest fears, going face to face with a shark:

(Audio: Aaron Rodgers)

Back to those 11 on 11 periods.    It's always interesting to see who's running with the number ones on the opening day of camp and then comparing that with the starting lineups when the Chicago Bears come to Lambeau to kick off the season on September 9.

On offense, the front line had an unusual look because of injury.  With Bryan Bulaga on the PUP list and Lane Taylor held off of team work as a precaution coming off an ankle injury, only two expected starters worked.  Center Corey Linsley and left tackle David Bakhtiari.    At right tackle for Bulaga was Jason Spriggs and the two guards were Lucas Patrick for Taylor and Justin McCray at right guard.   He may have the inside track to keep that job since the Packers didn't re-sign last year's starter Jahri Evans.

Jamaal Williams was the single running back behind Rodgers and the three wide receiver group had Davante Adams and Cobb joined by Geronimo Alllison.    Newcomer Jimmy Graham was at tight end and he say plenty of passes come his way in the opening practice.

The defense line up this way for new coordinator Mike Pettine: on the line were Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark and Muhammad Wilkerson.   The linebackers were Blake Martinez, Jake Ryan and Kyler Fackerell.    Clay Matthews ran with the ones in the second team period but the Packers are slowly working him back into the mix after his ankle problems last year and broken nose from the charity softball game.      Ha Ha Clinton-Dix was teamed with Kentrell Brice at the safety spot and the three corners were Tramon Williams, Davon House and King.

(Mike McCarthy and Brian Gutekunst watch opening day drills)

Friday's session will be almost identical while on Saturday, the pads may come on for the first time.    The collective bargaining agreement requires players to get a day off after the first three practices of camp which leaves Lambeau Field's parking lot all to the kids at the Packer Experience.

Continue Reading @ Mark Daniels 

Mark Daniels wrote:

Finally a freakin overview!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Bigbyfan
5 years ago
So as of right now Brice is ahead of Jones for the SS starting spot. Interesting
blank
beast
5 years ago

So as of right now Brice is ahead of Jones for the SS starting spot. Interesting

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

That doesn't surprise me at all because Brice was basically a starter and played about 70% of the snaps while he was healthy. Plus at the end/after the season, some DBs were sorta hinting the coaches weren't keeping young players accountable to and rumor was they were talking about a couple of players but especially Jones who allegedly was screwing up on coverage...

And I know, I saw a couple of times were I saw where two Packers would both cover the same receiver and leave someone else uncovered. I don't know who was responsible, but I noticed Jones and Martinez both be in on a couple of those.

My surprise is Spriggs starting at RT over Murphy. I thought Murphy looked a LOT better last year then Spriggs.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

That doesn't surprise me at all because Brice was basically a starter and played about 70% of the snaps while he was healthy. Plus at the end/after the season, some DBs were sorta hinting the coaches weren't keeping young players accountable to and rumor was they were talking about a couple of players but especially Jones who allegedly was screwing up on coverage...

And I know, I saw a couple of times were I saw where two Packers would both cover the same receiver and leave someone else uncovered. I don't know who was responsible, but I noticed Jones and Martinez both be in on a couple of those.

My surprise is Spriggs starting at RT over Murphy. I thought Murphy looked a LOT better last year then Spriggs.

Originally Posted by: beast 

This staff favors seniority too. Wouldn't surprise me to see Rollins get some reps at S, he's playing that hybrid ILB role. I do like Jones though. Pettine is gonna make a man out of him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (5h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (9h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (9h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.