beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
3 years ago

Looking beyond the team's premier players, here are eight Green Bay Packers who might have helped their chances on Saturday.

QB Tim Boyle: Boyle has everything you’d ever want in a quarterback, with a strong arm, intelligence and good-enough movement. He has experience, too, as he enters his third year in the NFL and second year in coach Matt LaFleur’s offense. He clearly isn’t going to sit by and watch first-round pick Jordan Love take over the No. 2 gig. Boyle looked as confident as ever as he delivered one quality pass after another on Saturday, including a bomb to Marquez Valdes-Scantling early in practice. Based on rep counts, he’s the clear No. 2 behind Aaron Rodgers.

QB Jordan Love: Love didn’t make any “wow” plays but it was pretty easy to see the potential that had general manager Brian Gutekunst trade up in the first round to select him in April’s draft. Pocket presence is the secret sauce to quarterbacking. While it can be trained to some extent, scouts generally believe a player has it or he doesn’t. One play that stood out was Love feeling the pressure coming from behind him, stepping up, escaping right and floating a pass to Darrius Shepherd. While it was a tad underthrown and knocked away by rookie corner Stanford Samuels, everything leading up to the throw showed Love’s promise.

“I’m pleased at how he attacks it on a daily basis,” LaFleur said afterward. “I think he’s a really intelligent kid and he’s very athletic, so I think it’s a matter of time before he can pick up mechanics. Our challenge to him each and every day is you’ve got to get that 1 percent better.”

RB AJ Dillon: Based on the scale, there are some similarities between Dillon and Eddie Lacy. Based on the eye test, there are no similarities at all. Dillon’s 247 pounds look like they are formed of redwoods and reinforced concrete. It was a nonpadded practice and perhaps means nothing, but it was eye-opening to see the second-round pick push defensive lineman Kingsley Keke 3 yards into the end zone during a red-zone drill. He’s got vision and acceleration, too. Lacy had vision and acceleration, too. Plus, he could pass protect and catch. Time will tell if Dillon has a similarly well-rounded skill-set.

TE Josiah Deguara: The third-round pick will be a work in progress. It took him four reps to get through a blocking drill to tight end coach Justin Outten’s liking. But based on the multitude of positions where he aligned, it seems clear the coaches want him on the field ASAP.

WR Reggie Begelton: Begelton caught 102 passes last season in Canada. Sure, it’s Canada, but 102 catches is 102 catches. He carved up the secondary on a few occasions on Saturday, including a touchdown catch from Boyle. At 6-foot and 200 pounds, he’s a bit short but he’s definitely not small. LaFleur’s offense might not need a true slot receiver but he probably wouldn’t pass one up, either.

ILB Christian Kirksey: You know Kirksey’s story of two seasons of stellar play followed by two years of injuries. It’s hard to judge linebackers when they’re not actually getting blocked but his nose for the football and quickness to get there were obvious.

“It felt good for me, especially seeing how last year went for me as far as not being able to play a lot in the season. It felt good to actually be out there and ball,” Kirksey said after practice.

OLB Randy Ramsey: It wouldn’t have been a surprise had Ramsey made the team last year as an undrafted free agent out of Arkansas. He spent his rookie year on the practice squad, often emulating the opponents’ best pass rusher. On Saturday, he showed his wheels by running stride for stride with a running back and breaking up a pass in the end zone.

DB Chandon Sullivan: As expected, Sullivan lined up as the No. 1 slot between corners Jaire Alexander and Kevin King. Sullivan was excellent in relatively limited action last season and got off to a strong start to camp. He was beaten a bit by receiver Allen Lazard but recovered to knock the ball loose for either an incompletion or forced fumble. Generally, he spent the day as his man’s shadow.

Continue Reading @ Sports Illustrated 

Sports Illustrated wrote:

UserPostedImage
yooperfan
3 years ago
Boy oh boy, it sure is nice to be hearing about our team.
I'm as excited as ever to how this years version of the Green Bay Packers turns out.
I think that we have a lot to be excited about.
I just hope that the NFL is able to play out the whole season.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (12h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (13h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (13h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (16h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (16h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.