Mucky Tundra
2 years ago

From NFL Network: 
#Packers  LB Za’Darius Smith underwent back surgery this week, sources tell me and @RapSheet . He’s expected to be out an extended period of time, though the hope is it’s not a season-ending situation.
— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) October 1, 2021 

Smith has missed the Packers last two games after being placed on injured reserve in the wake of his 18 snap appearance against the Saints in Week 1. 
The veteran outside linebacker missed almost all of training camp with a back issue, practicing only once and then only doing individual drills.
Smith registered a sack in 10 games during the 2020 regular season, tied for the most by a Packer in a single season. In 2019, his 13½ sacks were the most in franchise history by a player in his first season with the Packers.

Filed Under:[URL=/blog/category/cheesehead-tv/packers-news" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Packers News[/URL][URL=/blog/category/authors/aaron-nagler" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Aaron Nagler[/URL]Tags:[URL=/blog/category/green-bay-packers" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Green Bay Packers[/URL][URL=/tag/zadarius-smith-0" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Za'Darius Smith[/URL]
0 points
[/URL]

Continue Reading @ [url=http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/CheeseheadTv/~3/IwJpEqkCqZQ/zadarius-smith-has-back-surgery-will-miss-extended-time-505]CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

Sounds like a minor procedure if they think he'll be back by the end of the year. But back injuries tend to linger. Has Z ever said what caused the injury?
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
It's gotta be season ending.
After healing up he still needs to get into football shape
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
2 years ago

It's gotta be season ending.
After healing up he still needs to get into football shape

Originally Posted by: wpr 

You're right. I think the article was a little too optimistic on his timeline. Everything else I'm reading looks like he'll be out the rest of the season.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 years ago
I don't like the sound if it for his career.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Mucky Tundra
2 years ago

I don't like the sound if it for his career.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

He's definitely gone after this season. No way on earth they're gonna pay him that huge contract as he gets older with a previous back injury. I already thought that Gutey would go either edge rusher either in the first or second next year and now I'm certain of it.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 years ago
Remember what happened to Nick Collins?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2 years ago
Well that sucks

Backs are tough and the Packers have a history of not signing guys with back issues...Lindsley being the latest example.

He has not been the same since about 2/3 of the way through last season.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
beast
2 years ago

He's definitely gone after this season. No way on earth they're gonna pay him that huge contract as he gets older with a previous back injury. I already thought that Gutey would go either edge rusher either in the first or second next year and now I'm certain of it.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't say definitely, if they think he can recover.

But I've been thinking edge rusher too, as you like to keep three good ones and with how they adjusted Preston's contract, it almost forced them to adjust it again in 2022 which might mean release him. Also looks like they're are some interesting prospects at the position that might be in late 1st rounder.

I would absolutely love another dominant DT to help Clark and so we're not so reliant on him or even another CB as you need three of those too and King and Sullivan are FAs. But first round DTs look very thin, and CB got to be the right guy for the scheme. And there are more OLBer options right now.

Remember what happened to Nick Collins?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yes a neck injury when a defender hurdled him...

Well that sucks

Backs are tough and the Packers have a history of not signing guys with back issues...Lindsley being the latest example.

He has not been the same since about 2/3 of the way through last season.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Linemen with back injuries is normally a bad sign and don't let the LB label fool ya, he's an edge rusher which are lineman.

UserPostedImage
Dulak
2 years ago

Linemen with back injuries is normally a bad sign and don't let the LB label fool ya, he's an edge rusher which are lineman.

Originally Posted by: beast 

IMO its not that he is a lineman with a back injury it's that they decided to do back surgery on one of the best if not the best edge rusher in football and he happens to be on our team ... thats the bad sign.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.