Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

May 4, 2010
British General Election: Even the Winners Will be Losers 

[Editor's Note: In the article that follows, U.K. native Martin Hutchinson, who correctly predicted the outcomes of the 2008 presidential primaries and general election, handicaps Thursday's British general election in which Gordon Brown's Labour Party faces David Cameron's Conservatives and Nick Clegg's Liberal Democrats.]

By Martin Hutchinson, Contributing Editor, Money Morning

The British general election campaign reaches its climax on Thursday, and at this point appears to be anybody's game. The most likely outcome is a "hung parliament" in which no party has a majority and a government is formed through backroom haggling.

However, after looking yet again at the state of the economy in my native Britain, I'm forced to ask a simple question: Why would anybody want the job?

Until 2008, the British economy looked to be in decent shape. It suffered badly in World War II, and then failed to enjoy the same postwar growth as France and Germany because its taxes and government spending were way too high. The simultaneous financing of a free National Health Service and a vast-and-rebellious imperial overhang during the 1950s and 1960s was impossible.

As the British Empire was abandoned and cutbacks made there, the National Health Service and the expansion of university education ate up all the savings. After 1979, however, under Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, significant free-market reforms in labor law and privatization, together with fairly minor cutbacks in the state sector, produced a much-healthier economic picture.

The early 1990s were painful years for Britain, partly because the attempt to link the pound to the German mark in 1990 made the economy very uncompetitive for two years and required interest rates of 15% to sustain it (as a London homeowner during that period, I still bear the scars - British mortgages are floating-rate!).

Once the pound was allowed to float (downward) in 1992, however, the economy never looked back: From 1992-2007, Britain had the best-sustained growth in Europe.

Two problems remained.

First, even in the 1990s, Britain had again become sloppy about public spending. Spending was allowed to increase, and the increase accelerated after 2000 as the Labour government elected in 1997 settled in and started implementing its wish list.

British public spending - which had bottomed out at around 38% of gross domestic product (GDP) in 1989, Thatcher's last full year - would actually exceed 50% of GDP by 2009. What's more, tax revenue was allowed to fall behind, so that in 2007-2008, a boom year, Britain still ran a budget deficit of 5.3% of GDP.

The other problem was that the economy became increasingly dependent on revenue from the City of London financial district, which developed into a kind of offshore island with very little connection to the rest of the economy. This was partly because London housing prices had zoomed into the stratosphere (the London house that I sold in 1994 for three times what I had paid in 1984 was worth four times that sales price by 2007).

Needless to say, with inflation fairly modest, incomes in 2007 were not 12 times what they had been in 1982. Except in the City. There, even more than on Wall Street (because they started much lower), incomes had gone through the roof. Unfortunately, only Brits earned a modest proportion of those incomes.

In the aftermath of a poorly designed deregulatory push in the middle 1980s, the British merchant banks had been bought out or had gone bust and almost all London banking was controlled from either Wall Street or continental Europe.

Naturally, most of the bankers - like "Fabulous Fab" of Goldman Sachs Group Inc. (NYSE: GS) - weren't British, either. Even more annoyingly, they didn't have to pay British tax, because they could pretend to earn their income outside the country. Add in a sprinkling of Russian mafia and Arab oil sheiks also attracted by the tax benefits - and a mass of impoverished immigrants attracted by generous social benefits - and you had a society in which there was huge inequality and very little in the way of domestically generated productive endeavor.

Needless to say, that's why there's a problem now.

A Tough Road

The British budget deficit is considerably larger than that of its U.S. counterpart. In fact, at about 12% of GDP, Britain's budgetary shortfall is now nearing Greek territory. The City of London looks much less likely to sustain the entire economy going forward - the financial-services business itself may get smaller, and there is now little reason why it should not move elsewhere.

House prices in Britain haven't fallen as far as they have in the United States, which could well mean that there are more huge losses to come in the housing-finance sector.

Various social pathologies have been encouraged by the last 13 years of politically correct public spending, so the forces that should produce an entrepreneurial revival here in the United States may prove too weak to prevail in Great Britain.

There's a second difference whose impact is worth noting. In the United States, a mere year of government expansion has produced a huge political backlash. In Britain, the expansion of government was twice rewarded with thumping election victories - one in 2001 and the other in 2005. Only now, when disaster has occurred, is there any possibility of change - and even now there's no certainty of it.

Bank of England (BOE) Governor Mervyn A. King recently said that the party that wins this election would become so unpopular because of the policies it was forced to introduce that it would be out of power for a generation.

I tend to agree. As a young lad, I wanted to become prime minister (until my student electoral record of zero for 32 (0-32) told me that I'd better shift my career aspirations into banking...). However, even if I were guaranteed the chance to achieve my dream, I wouldn't want to take over right now: They could offer me full dictatorial powers and a guaranteed 10-year term, and I'd still turn it down.

Prime Minister Thatcher turned the British economy around in the 1980s. But today's problems are much worse, and the solutions far more painful - so painful, in fact, that any reformer would get tossed out of office after one term, after which all the "reforms" would get reversed.

That brings us to the eventual outcome of this long and painful story. The probability of an eventual British default on debt must be quite high - and since Britain is not a member of the euro, there would be no bailout.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (4h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (4h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (4h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (4h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (4h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (6h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (7h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (11h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (11h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.