Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Web Page Name 

Aaron Kampman, the Green Bay Packers' preferred starter at left outside linebacker in 2009, left in free agency. The jury remains out on second-year man Brad Jones, while veteran Brady Poppinga is best suited to be a backup.

That's why the left outside linebacker is arguably the weakest position on the Packer roster.

"I understand everybody's concerned about that position," Packer general manager Ted Thompson said after the NFL draft concluded last month. "We don't think it's quite as dire as everybody else does. But it is a position we'd like to add a couple more competitors."

Thompson did that immediately after the draft, signing undrafted free agents Tim Knicky of Stephen F. Austin, John Russell of Wake Forest and Frank Zombo of Central Michigan. All three players were defensive linemen in college but will try transitioning to outside linebacker in Green Bay.

And because outside linebacker is perhaps the most unsettled position on the team, at least one of these free agents has a terrific chance to make the 53-man roster.

"I like all their attitudes and their energy," Packer coach Mike McCarthy said of that trio after Green Bay's rookie orientation.

"I like the way they competed in the one-on-one drills. Every one of them flashed in some of the team drills. You can see why they were productive football players in college. I think all three of those guys have a chance."

That, of course, is why all three came to Green Bay in the first place. Still, the trio went undrafted for a reason and each player has an uphill climb to make the final roster.

Knicky (6 feet 4 inches, 251 pounds) was an undersized defensive end that weighed 235 pounds at Stephen F. Austin. Still, Knicky set the school record for sacks (32 1/2) and had 59 1/2 tackles for a loss.

Knicky, who was a three-time academic All-Southland Conference choice, is certainly bright enough to make a positional switch. And he was certainly smart enough to see Green Bay's lack of depth at outside linebacker as he weighed offers from other teams after the draft.

"Green Bay was a great opportunity, not a big number at outside linebacker, so it was a great opportunity," Knicky said. "It's going to take some work just getting into the knowledge of the game. . . . I can do everything they need me to do."

Zombo (6-3, 254) was an All-Mid-American Conference player the last two seasons and finished second in school history in sacks (25 1/2). But he did that as a 270-pound defensive end and played with his hand on the ground in a 4-3 scheme.

Some NFL teams expressed interest in Zombo playing tight end. But Zombo thought his best chance was to try switching spots on defense.

"Playing defensive end in a four-man front, now going into playing an outside linebacker in a three-man front is, yeah, quite the transition," Zombo said.

"But with coach (Kevin) Greene coaching me, I can see he's excellent. And so far it's going pretty well. I lost a little weight, so I feel a little bit more athletic. Right now, I'm just trying to absorb this playbook, trying to get as much of it down as I can."

Zombo had almost no exposure to standing up or dropping in coverage at Central Michigan. Interestingly, though, one of the few times Zombo did drop back in coverage he notched an interception and returned it 27 yards for a touchdown.

"It was my last play at my home stadium against Northern Illinois," Zombo said. "I dropped one time and had a pick six. Hopefully, I'll have some more situations like that here."

Russell (6-3, 260) has arguably the toughest transition to make. Russell was a defensive tackle at Wake Forest, where he started 29 games and had 10 1/2 sacks and 20 1/2 tackles for a loss.

Russell gained weight after the season, anticipating teams would ask him to play defensive end in a 3-4 scheme. But the Packers saw Russell as an outside linebacker, despite his pedestrian 40-yard dash time (4.90).

"It is a transition," Russell said. "I'm actually happy to make it. I even feel more assured that I can definitely do this.

"In terms of quickness, I feel I'm naturally laterally as quick as anybody and that's only something I'll get better with as I lose weight. I feel really good about the position and the transition. It's going to take some getting used to, but once everything comes together in camp, that's where we're really going to see what's happening."

Thompson could add a veteran such as former Patriot linebacker Adalius Thomas to the mix. But that hasn't been his style, meaning if someone from this trio of undrafted free agents can shine this summer, their chances of sticking are solid.

"We're all out here, there's no drafted guys," Knicky said. "We're all in the same boat; we're all free agents, so it's a great opportunity for every one of us."

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
http://www.packershome.com/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=8930/finish=15/start=0.html 

Truly is the dead period of the NFL calendar.. they need a D type spring league for all rooks and young fringe players.. play in the same stadiums.. just a couple game season... why yes I am a greedy SOB.. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
earthquake
14 years ago
Yeah that is what i thought, using the same quotes even, pretty lame.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
A lot of articles use the same quotes ... especially during this time of the year. It's kind of slow during the off season and there's not a weekly conference they can talk to players and coaches to build stories from.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
14 years ago
No i understand that, i'm not expecting something groundbreaking, but this article really is like almost word for word the same as the last on the subject.
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago

No i understand that, i'm not expecting something groundbreaking, but this article really is like almost word for word the same as the last on the subject.

"earthquake" wrote:

'Tis the slow time of the year, when we talk about exciting things like Aaron Rodgers' hat and Greg Jennings' acting ability.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
PackerTraxx
14 years ago
Ah...the "off season" Not the best time of the year to say the least. Gotta write about the free agents early. Diamonds are rare and the most of the rest leave early. May camp should bring out some more "news".
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.