Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Rodgers still has one big step to take 
The Packers QB will escape the shadow of Brett Favre if he can have another strong season -- and make a long playoff run.

By MARK CRAIG, Star Tribune
Last update: September 12, 2010 - 9:21 AM

GREEN BAY, WIS. - Preparedness, pinpoint accuracy and the league's smoothest deep ball have made the Packers' Aaron Rodgers one of the NFL's best quarterbacks at the still tender age of 26.

But personal stats and pretty passes won't make him a legend. Not in Titletown, USA.

To emerge from the considerable shadow of Brett Favre, his predecessor, Rodgers needs to win a Super Bowl. Sorry, but that sure seems to be the unwritten rule in a city that's celebrated 12 NFL championships, including Super Bowls I, II and XXXI.

"I don't know about shadows or eclipses or any of that stuff," right tackle Mark Tauscher said. "All I know is Aaron's a good player who is getting a lot better. He's already his own quarterback, not the guy who replaced Brett. He's had success, and I expect he'll have a lot more success before he's done."

The Packers play Sunday at Philadelphia in the opening game of a season many experts believe will culminate with the Packers winning Super Bowl XLV in Arlington, Texas. Concerns about the offensive line and the pass defense often are cast aside because of the efficiency and sheer explosiveness of Rodgers and the passing attack.

"If the defense slacks, they can count on us 100 percent," tight end Jermichael Finley said. "We're going to put that thing in the air, and we're going to get in the end zone real fast. I don't think we can be stopped, to tell you the truth."

Rodgers is the first player in NFL history to pass for 4,000 yards in each of his first two seasons as a starter. He's also 17-16 with no playoff wins as a starter, so the next logical step in his career evolution is experiencing postseason success.

This could be the year. This is the best team he's had around him and, besides, he turns 27 in December. That's the same age Favre was when he won Super Bowl XXXI on Jan. 26, 1997.

"The bottom line is we have a great quarterback," receiver Greg Jennings said. "He's got great physical skills, great leadership skills, and he can get the job done. The chemistry is great. He's got a lot of weapons. We're getting into open spots and he's putting the ball right on the money no matter where we are."

It was another near-flawless preseason for Rodgers. He completed 77.4 percent of his passes (41 of 53) for 470 yards, six touchdowns, no interceptions and no sacks while playing parts of only three games.

The Packers are hoping their pass protection holds up through the regular season. The past two seasons, including playoffs, Rodgers has been sacked 89 times and lost eight of his 21 fumbles. The Arizona Cardinals returned one of those fumbles for the game-winning touchdown in a 51-45 wild-card playoff victory last season.

"I think the offensive line will be fine," Rodgers said. "And with the weapons we have, we feel we can score every time we touch the ball. All I have to do is be accurate. Whoever gets open will get the ball."

Including playoffs, Rodgers has completed 64.3 percent of his passes with 62 touchdowns and 21 interceptions the past two years. He's also averaged 7.9 yards on 1,119 attempts.

The seamless transition at quarterback from Favre to Rodgers didn't happen by accident. It took Packers General Manager Ted Thompson drafting Rodgers 24th overall in 2005. It took Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy having enough confidence in Rodgers to risk their careers by unloading Favre when he decided to unretire in 2008. And, oh yeah, it took a lot of time and effort by Rodgers during the three years he was Favre's backup.

"It was 100 percent hard work," Rodgers said. "I'm a full-time football guy. I'm a March 15 to every-day-in-the-OTAs to training-camp kind of guy. I think that full-time work pays off. Good old-fashioned work has paid off for myself and the team."

And now Rodgers will try to wrest the NFC North from the Vikings and Favre. At 40, Favre is a part-time kind of guy who skips everything from February through mid-August, yet he still managed to beat Rodgers and the Packers twice last season.

Rodgers isn't interested in comparisons between Favre and himself.

"He has nothing to do with me or this team," Rodgers said.

Not an original idea or even word in this piece. But this site is first and foremost a repository of Packers-related articles for Kevin, so here's another one.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (13h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (21h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.