CaliforniaCheez
14 years ago
There are some positions that in lower rounds rarely produce quality.

CB and OT(Left) are such postions (all due respect to Doug Evans and Mark Tauscher). Free agents at these positions command big money.

There are some positions that seem to produce quality at lower round picks. RB, Safety, C, OG, LB. Free agents are relatively cheap.

More concisely only Al Davis would spend first round picks on punters and placekickers.

So considering the needs and costs, how would you like to see the Packers draft choices spent (Assuming a generic draft regarding quality at all positions)?

In my opinion, a CB is a draft priority. The Packers have lots of row round type "depth on the team but need to find a quality player at this position.
There is simply too large a quality drop off once Harris or Woodson is out of the line up. Therefore CB is priority #1 and the Packers if they do not draft one in the 1st or 2nd rounds should forget it it for this draft.

#2 OT While Tauscher still has a couple of quality years ahead of him, Injury prone Clifton's contract is expiring and likely will not be back. Unlikely but possible is a scenario where he is signed for back up money and becomes a reserve. Full time starting duty his body cannot take. Additionally, Giacomini and Barbre don't seem to be making sufficient progress to starter status and upgrading quality of depth would help the Packers.
Not only should OT be addressed in the 1st or 2nd round it might be adressed again in the middle rounds.

#3 DE Listen before you yell. What happens if Jolly or Jenkins or both are injured? Wynn helps but Can you rely on Harrell in a new position? Wouldn't it be nice to have some rotation and fresh players at DE? If Kampmann's contract situation gets confusing DE could be a spot that really hurts the Packers without additional support.

#4 RB Again an injury to Grant really reduces the Packer effectivness. Jackson seems okay at the 3rd down back spot but the Packers need more quality than Wynn, Green, or Lumpkin for the change of pace back.

At this point you look for low round guys theat could help the team with depth. Not big priorities but guys that might help the team in the future if they spend a year on the practice squad and depend entirely on what player left on the draft board is best. Safety, QB, TE, Punter, etc. Perhaps finding quality player.
I go with Safety, #3QB and Punter possibly a TE.

I just never see a reason to draft a Safety, RB, or OG with a first round pick.

Late round picks at OT (like Giacomini), CB (Blackmon and Underwood), and sometimes DT don't help the team much.

The Packers are a good team (5th in NFL last season) and likely only have to replace 1 or 2 starters. This is a draft for depth.

Tell me where you agree and disagree.
blank
Packers_Finland
14 years ago
I agree with most of what you wrote, but assuming we have all our picks I would go OT (Round 1), Safety (Round 2), Cornerback (Round 3), Guard (Round 4), RB (Round 5), OT (Round 6), Punter/Kicker (Round 7), and if we get a good compensation pick from Colin Cole, we should use that to get a DE.

Let's hope we get something done on the free agency market this year, there are a lot of needs that have to be addressed.
This is a placeholder
shield4life
14 years ago
I agree also but I rather go:

O-line
Safety
RB
CB
DT - DE
O-line
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
cajed
14 years ago
Gotta take what the draft gives you but hopefully something like this.

Oline round 1 or 2. Or best available player on board if someone slips in the draft.
CB or OLB/DE hybrid or SS rounds 2-4 unless one is picked in round 1. Then add OL in here in round 2.
Rounds 4 - 7
KR (CB or Rb hopefully that can develop into a good back up).
P
Best available
blank
CaliforniaCheez
14 years ago
Okay, I see where you think Safety is a higher priority than RB.

1) CB, 2)OT, 3) then (DE and Safety equally), 4) RB

Interestingly, the prospect lists I'm seeing have 2 or 3 OT's ranked from 25 to 30 on their big boards. Ted could even trade down a little and get one of them.

I'm also seeing a lot of CB's around where the Packers draft in the second round.

Those same boards are showing RB's around where the Packers draft in the 3rd.

Of course no one relly knows what Ted will do.
blank
Packers_Finland
14 years ago
Trent Williams, Bryan Bulaga and Charles Brown... one of them could fall to us, in fact I think Trent Williams will definitely fall to us. No matter if there's Jahvid Best or Taylor Mays avaivable, we should take an OT.
This is a placeholder
14 years ago

Trent Williams, Bryan Bulaga and Charles Brown... one of them could fall to us, in fact I think Trent Williams will definitely fall to us. No matter if there's Jahvid Best or Taylor Mays avaivable, we should take an OT.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

LOL at your sig - Finny 2000.
UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.
millertime
14 years ago
I'd be stoked if we go o-line in round one I like Sitton and Spitz as our guards for the future. I like Lang at RT. We could squeeze one more year out of Clifton or make a play for a guy like Matt Light from NE to temporaily hold the fort down. I would want a LT in round one that could use a little grooming.

In round two, I would try and trade up to get in a position to nab a guy like Taylor Mays or stay put and select Myron Rolle to shore up our other safety spot next to Collins in case Bigby regresses or gets hurt.

We could then use the rest of our picks on rush OLBers and cornerback depth.

Maybe nab a new punter in the later rounds, lol.
dfosterf
14 years ago

I'd be stoked if we go o-line in round one I like Sitton and Spitz as our guards for the future. I like Lang at RT. We could squeeze one more year out of Clifton or make a play for a guy like Matt Light from NE to temporaily hold the fort down. I would want a LT in round one that could use a little grooming.

In round two, I would try and trade up to get in a position to nab a guy like Taylor Mays or stay put and select Myron Rolle to shore up our other safety spot next to Collins in case Bigby regresses or gets hurt.

We could then use the rest of our picks on rush OLBers and cornerback depth.

Maybe nab a new punter in the later rounds, lol.

"millertime" wrote:

Looks to me like you would want to watch the Senior Bowl (in one hour from this post)

Taylor Mays has had a tough week, at least according to Wes Bunting.  From my post in the "Senior Bowl" thread.

9. Can USC standout Taylor Mays make up for his unimpressive week of practice with a statement-type game? Mays hasnt looked real instinctive in coverage and takes far too long getting out of his breaks and closing on the football in his drop. We know he has the skill set, but his ability to at least make plays on the ball in the deep half will be key.

Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (6h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (21h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (21h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (22h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (22h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.