wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
D Line 

Players under contract:

No.       Name                      Pos      Ht         Wt        Age      Exp.     College                  Acquired

90         B.J. Raji                  NT        6-2        337       23         R      Boston College        D1a-09

93         Anthony Toribio            NT        6-1        315       24         1       Carson-Newman       FA-08

77         Cullen Jenkins             DE       6-2        305       29         6        Central Michigan      FA-04

94         Jarius Wynn                DE       6-3        285       23         R         Georgia              D6a-09

95         Ronald Talley              DE       6-3        286       23         R        Delaware               FA-09

91         Justin Harrell            DE       6-4        320       26         3         ennessee                 D1-07

96         Mike Montgomery           DE       6-5        282       26         5        Texas A&M               D6a-05

Unrestricted free agents:

No.       Name                   Pos      Ht         Wt        Age      Exp.     College                  Acquired

79         Ryan Pickett         NT        6-2        340       30         9       Ohio State             UFA-06 (STL)

Restricted free agents:

No.       Name                   Pos      Ht         Wt        Age      Exp.     College                  Acquired

97         Johnny Jolly        DE       6-3        325       26         4          Texas A&M           D6a-06 

The good news: There was reason to wonder when the team made the switch to Dom Capers 3-4 scheme in January 2009 whether the defensive linemen on the roster would fit the bill. Among the biggest question marks was the 340-pound Pickett, whod always played defensive tackle in 4-3 defenses and would be asked to be even more unselfish in eating up blocks and double teams something he did exquisitely while leading the NFLs No. 1-ranked run defense. But Pickett wasnt the only one who turned out to be well-suited for the scheme. Jolly was a one-man wrecking crew at times, starting all 16 games and leading the defensive line with 75 tackles (33 solo) to go along with batting down 11 passes at the line of scrimmage and four turnover plays (one interception, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries) while playing in both the base and sub packages. Jenkins, too, had success after bellyaching about the limitations he faced in the new scheme, although he was somewhat justified in his complaints because he clearly was more productive in the 4-3 scheme. Nonetheless, he kept his mouth shut the rest of the year and helped lead the NFLs second-best defense to a 7-1 finish.

The bad news: While Pickett, Jolly and Jenkins turned out to be better fits than initially thought, the depth is an issue. Raji, the No. 9 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, got to camp late because of a contract dispute, suffered an ankle injury in the preseason finale and did not have the kind of impactful season the team expected from him as a rookie. That figures to change in his second year, but after Raji, who started for an injured Pickett (hamstring) as the regular season drew to a close, the rotation was lacking. The tall, lanky Montgomery is obviously better suited for the 4-3, Wynn had a decent training camp as a rookie sixth-round pick but did next to nothing once the season started and Harrell gave his critics still more fuel for their cries of Bust! when his troublesome back flared up after a solid start in camp.

The big question: What does Jollys future hold?

Based on his performance on the field, theres no question that Jolly deserves a long-term deal. But the drug possession case from July 2008 in his hometown of Houston continues to hang over his head, and until the situation is resolved and the NFL decides whether it merits a suspension based on the leagues personal conduct policy his future will remain uncertain. Jolly was the driver of a vehicle in which police found cups of a codeine mixture, and he was subsequently charged with possession of at least 200 grams of codeine in the form of cough syrup commonly mixed with soda to form a mind-altering drink called "lean." The charge was dropped in July, then refiled on Dec. 15, and he was due in court Thursday for a pretrial hearing. Despite the legal entanglement, Jolly not only figures to receive a one-year restricted free-agent tender, hes likely to get one higher than the minimum offer because he entered the league as a sixth-round pick and the Packers would only get a sixth-rounder as compensation if he signed with another team and didnt match the offer. The low tender would cost the Packers $1.176 million; a second-round tender $1.759 million; a first-round tender $2.521 million; and a first- and third-round tender $3.168 million. Look for Jolly to get the second-round tender at minimum.

Offseason outlook: Re-signing Pickett, an unrestricted free agent, is one of the teams top offseason priorities, while bringing back Jolly, despite his legal issues, should be a slam dunk as well. With fewer defensive linemen needed on the roster in the 3-4 scheme, theres only two or three open roster spots after Pickett, Jolly, Jenkins and Raji. Dont expect the Packers to make a play for the biggest-name unrestricted free agents (defensive tackles Vince Wilfork of New England and Casey Hampton of Pittsburgh or defensive ends Julius Peppers of Carolina and Richard Seymour of Oakland), and they may only draft one defensive linemen in April, depending on how their draft board falls.

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
We got semi-screwed by Jolly and his attorney yesterday by them asking for a continuance. GBPG- Packers guessing on Jolly's continued availability 

I THINK we are in a position (RELATIVE TO OTHER POTENTIAL SUITORS) to absorb a 4 game suspension of Jolly.

My guess is we will go ahead and offer the 2nd round tender.

Friggin' asshole. I like him a lot as a player. A lot. Asshole.

How about a (lot of?) little luck this year?

Justin Harrell comes back from his back and is suddenly what we always hoped for!!!

Make that an incredibly large shitload of luck.

End of camp. His string has run out. What is that, about 9 million and a very important draft pick completely down the GD tubes. On a team so very, very draftcentric---that is a HUGE bust in the aspirations department.

C'mon Justin, surprise the LIVING HELL out of everyone!!!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Hey, maybe Harrell can be the defensive equivalent of Mike Flanagan.

Remember how Flanagan started out with one major health problem after another. And then became a fixture in the last semi-great OL the Packers had.

I'm not holding my breath. But I was a big Flanagan skeptic for years...and oh did he prove me wrong.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
14 years ago
Ryan Pickett has $254,000 reasons to ink his contract as soon as possible.. judgment slapped on him from Tom Condon.

BTW... someone got hit with the obvious stick on this article.. depth was an issue going into last season.. it hasn't changed yet.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Hey, maybe Harrell can be the defensive equivalent of Mike Flanagan.

Remember how Flanagan started out with one major health problem after another. And then became a fixture in the last semi-great OL the Packers had.

I'm not holding my breath. But I was a big Flanagan skeptic for years...and oh did he prove me wrong.

"Wade" wrote:

That would be awesome.

Gilbert Brown.

1st season, cut by Vikings due to weigth and played just 2 games for the Packers.

2nd season, cut short by a torn ACL.

3rd season, cut short by an elbow injury.

Now, this isn't as bad as Harrell and back injuries don't just leave, but sometimes it pays off to be a little patient.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.