wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Players under contract:

No.       Name                           Pos      Ht         Wt        Age      Exp.     College            Acquired

52         Clay Matthews                 OLB      6-3        250       23         R          USC                D1b-09

56         Nick Barnett                  ILB       6-2        236       28         7          Oregon State    D1-03

50         A.J. Hawk                     ILB       6-1        250       26         4          Ohio State        D1-06

54         Brandon Chillar              ILB       6-3        237       27         6          UCLA                UFA-08 (STL)

59         Brad Jones                   OLB      6-3        239       23         R          Colorado          D7-09

51         Brady Poppinga              OLB      6-3        250       30         5          BYU                 D4b-05

55         Desmond Bishop             ILB       6-2        238       25         3          California          D6b-07

99         Jeremy Thompson            OLB      6-4        260       24         2          Wake Forest     D4a-08

57         Cyril Obiozor               OLB      6-4        249       23         R          Texas A&M       FA-09

49         Robert Francois             ILB       6-3        255       24         R          Boston Coll.      FA-09

Unrestricted free agents:

No.       Name                           Pos      Ht         Wt        Age      Exp.     College            Acquired

74         Aaron Kampman           OLB      6-4        260       30         8          Iowa                  D5a-02

Restricted free agents:

None.

Linebackers 
The good news: The Packers finished the regular season ranked second in the NFL in total defense, and it was in large part due to the play of the linebackers, particularly Matthews, the rookie first-round pick who earned a trip to the Pro Bowl with a fabulous first season. When GM Ted Thompson traded one second- and two third-round picks to the New England Patriots to move up into the first round to take Matthews at No. 26, it turned out to be a stroke of brilliance albeit completely out of character for Thompson, whos more accustomed to trading back, not up. Matthews team-high 10 sacks set a rookie team record, and he added a forced fumble, three fumble recoveries, an interception and six pass break-ups despite not even being a starter to open the season. When Kampman suffered a season-ending torn ACL in his left knee against San Francisco on Nov. 22, rookie seventh-round pick Brad Jones entered the starting lineup and there was little drop-off. Inside, Barnett got stronger and stronger as the year wore on as his torn ACL from 2008 continued to improve, and while Hawk still has more than a few detractors, his play was steady and at times terrific. Chillar played well enough to earn himself a four-year contract extension.

The bad news: The fact that there wasnt much drop-off from Kampman to Jones can be taken two ways: Either Jones played extremely well for a rookie seventh-round pick, or Kampman simply wasnt very good. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. Whatever the case, the team needs more production from the left outside linebacker spot in 2010. The same is true inside, where Hawk faded down the stretch after a pretty solid run and Barnett, while an effective leader and solid player, needs to make more of an impact: While he had four sacks, he didnt have a single turnover-causing play no interceptions, no fumbles caused or recovered. Bishop remains a fan favorite in training camp and constantly flashes big-play ability in the summertime, but when he does get the occasional opportunity when the games start to count, his limitations become readily apparent. Chillar, meanwhile, had some surprising coverage problems during the course of the year and might not be the every-down linebacker hes been paid like.

The big question: What does Kampmans future hold?

Of all of the Packers difficult offseason decisions, what to do with Kampman could very well be No. 1. Do they truly believe he can be productive as a 3-4 outside linebacker? Does he? Or would he rather leave Green Bay, his NFL home for the past eight seasons, and join a team that runs a 4-3, where he earned a pair of Pro Bowl selections? And do the Packers use one of their franchise or transition tags on him and then trade him to a 4-3 team? All those questions and they dont even take into account the uncertainty of Kampmans comeback from the knee injury, and how that might affect his market value. The fact of the matter is that publicly, the Packers have said again and again and again that they believe Kampman can be productive as a 3-4 outside linebacker. Thats been the party line, and no one on the staff has strayed from it. But now its time for them to put their money where their mouths are. If they truly believe that, then Kampman will get a fair market offer. If they let him walk or franchise-tag him with an eye on trading him, itll prove that all that talk was nothing more than spin.

Offseason outlook: There are more than a few Packers fans with visions of Michigans Brandon Graham, possibly the top-rated outside linebacker in the draft, going to the Packers at No. 23 and lining up opposite Matthews for years to come. Theres a better chance of that happening than there is of the Packers signing any of the top outside linebackers in free agency be it restricted free agents like Denvers Elvis Dumervil or San Diegos Shawne Merriman, or unrestricted free agents like Arizonas Karlos Dansby or Tennessees aging Keith Bulluck. The inside linebacker crop is even thinner. Thus, while the 3-4 demands depth at linebacker, the position is pretty well-stocked overall. It seems the only way theres a major addition here is if Kampman departs.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (23h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (23h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (23h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (23h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (23h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (23h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (23h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (23h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.