Heatherthepackgirl
15 years ago
Posted by bwentwor September 30, 2008 20:40PM
Chris Faytok/The Star-Ledger

Brett Favre, right, is having fun with the Jets.
Jets quarterback Brett Favre readily admits it: During bye week meetings with the Packers, his eyes would be on his coaches but his mind would be on his favorite hunting and fishing spots in his beloved Hattiesburg, Miss.

Not this week. It's study time, not break time.

"This is a little bit different only because in the past, when we had meetings during the bye week, my eyes were open but they were closed, if that makes any sense," Favre said. " 'Oh yeah, I heard you, coach.' Then I needed to look over (to a teammate and ask), 'What did he say?'"

Though Favre still plans to get a little R&R in Hattiesburg this weekend, he's spending the bye week cramming, watching film and trying to fine-tune the offense. When players leave 4 a 4-day weekend after Wednesday's practice, Favre said he'll come in Thursday 4 more work and then maybe fly home that night or Friday.

If you think his career-high, six-touchdown effort means he has the offense down, think again.

The objective this week is to pare down the offense rather than add to it. The Jets will keep what is working (perhaps adding a different formation or personnel grouping) and toss out the rest.

Favre said he's concentrating on two concepts in particular that offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer favors and is trying to learn how to read the play -- and its different variations -- correctly.

Twice against the Chargers, Favre said the Jets ran the play, which is similar to one they had in Green Bay, and he misread it. Both times he said wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery broke free and he didn't see him.

"I read it differently," said Favre, who often spots his mistakes on in-game still pictures on the sideline. "(Cotchery) is wide open. I have to find a way to clean that up. As a unit, we have to go to bat with things we feel comfortable with because the production is obvious."

Favre, who turns 39 on Oct. 10, is still at the top of his game. He leads the NFL in touchdown passes (12) and passer rating 110.8 and is second in completion percentage (70.2).

"We've got enough (offense) really to go into the rest of the season and have success with," Favre said. "Let's keep doing what we're doing because we're pretty good."

The turnaround started in the second half of the Jets' 48-29 loss on Sept. 22 in San Diego as the Jets went to their "empty" package (no running back) and found success.

They only used the formation a few times against the Cardinals on Sunday, but maintained the attack, spread-the-field nature that comes with it. Using a lot of three-receiver, one-tight end, one-back sets against the Cards, Favre hit on 24 of 34 passes 4 289 yards. He completed passes to eight different receivers.

"We got a really good group of receivers," he said. "Just how they run routes, how they carry themselves, how smart they are. As we continue to grow, the sky's the limit.

"When I say that this team has a lot of potential, I really believe it. The question is, can the chemistry come together pretty quickly. I think you see flashes of it. It took a couple of years 4 that to happen in Green Bay. Last year, we kind of exploded. It's like with the Giants last year, something clicked. What it was, I don't know. I wasn't in their locker room.

"This team, I don't want to say we can be the Giants, we have a long ways to go. But we have the makeup that can be pretty good."

While Favre is having fun on the field, he and his new teammates continue to mesh off it. One Kodak moment came on the sideline during the Cardinals game when Favre told veteran right tackle Damien Woody how happy he is to be a Jet.

The feeling is mutual.

"We're happy he's here," Woody said. "Everybody knows he's a great quarterback, a Hall of Fame quarterback, but he's an even better person. ... Everybody I heard from (before and after the trade) had nothing but great things to say about him. It's been everything they said and then some.

"He's a great guy, a fun guy. He likes to keep things lively and loose but he's very professional. He goes out there and practices his butt off. He's exactly what we needed and I only expect us to get better as the season moves forward."
Good find.

I like how the Jets are passing, passing, and passing some more. Don't need no stinking running game. The beauty of it is he really didn't have to throw a lot of passes. 34 is not a lot. Got 6 TDs though.

The Jets are going to be so fun to watch as their chemistry only gets better.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Heatherthepackgirl
15 years ago

Good find.

I like how the Jets are passing, passing, and passing some more. Don't need no stinking running game. The beauty of it is he really didn't have to throw a lot of passes. 34 is not a lot. Got 6 TDs though.

The Jets are going to be so fun to watch as their chemistry only gets better.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I agree Zombie, the chemistry is surely building amongst players, now if they can just keep that going they should have a good season. But if they dont then at least I can say I watched Brett for one more year, and hopefully he will come back next year to, if the chemistry does develop I think he will be back next year as well.
Heathiee
CDNRodgersfan
15 years ago
I was especially happy to see Coles breakout after all the talk that he wasn't happy Favre was there. I believe Cotchery is a good #2 but for the Offense to be great Brett needs Coles to step up and after Sunday it looks like they clicked
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I agree Zombie, the chemistry is surely building amongst players, now if they can just keep that going they should have a good season. But if they dont then at least I can say I watched Brett for one more year, and hopefully he will come back next year to, if the chemistry does develop I think he will be back next year as well.

"Heatherthepackgirl" wrote:

I think after Coles gets his BFF pendant back from Pennington and gives it to BF , BF will play another year. :thumbright:

The chemistry is definitely growing. BF still has the skills. His arm is still one of the stronger arms in the NFL. And he's extremely football smart, has skills that can't be taught because they're learned playing.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
McPack
15 years ago
Speaking of the Cards game, I'm looking for (begging, actually) a copy of the game reply. My friend who was going to Tivo it from the NFL Replay turned out to be a forgetful friend. Would LOVE to have this for my game collection if anybody know where I might get a copy:)
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago
Two things that stick out in the below quote.. 1, Brett isn't a selfish guy that some played him to be and wasn't a terrific teammate. 2, he is able to blend "fun" with the intensity of the game.. something not many do well.

But the thing about him daydreaming in Green Bay.. maybe Brett needed a change, a new challenge. Because it shouldn't been a difference.. but maybe he wasn't being challenged enough. But that kind of defeats the "I am just tired" reason for retiring. Another hint it was something else.

"We're happy he's here," Woody said. "Everybody knows he's a great quarterback, a Hall of Fame quarterback, but he's an even better person. ... Everybody I heard from (before and after the trade) had nothing but great things to say about him. It's been everything they said and then some.

"He's a great guy, a fun guy. He likes to keep things lively and loose but he's very professional. He goes out there and practices his butt off. He's exactly what we needed and I only expect us to get better as the season moves forward."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
johnny_blood
15 years ago

Speaking of the Cards game, I'm looking for (begging, actually) a copy of the game reply. My friend who was going to Tivo it from the NFL Replay turned out to be a forgetful friend. Would LOVE to have this for my game collection if anybody know where I might get a copy:)

"McPack" wrote:

Here you go:
http://leech.tenyardtorrents.com/details.php?id=2746 
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago
Mental note 2 of the day on here.. when ya need a feed or video clip.. Johnny_Blood can come through.

Along with Ironman.. the Packerhome's finest two internet bloodhounds.

Well done.

Sorry.. off topic.. carry on.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
15 years ago

But the thing about him daydreaming in Green Bay.. maybe Brett needed a change, a new challenge. Because it shouldn't been a difference.. but maybe he wasn't being challenged enough. But that kind of defeats the "I am just tired" reason for retiring. Another hint it was something else.

"pack93z" wrote:

It seemed he had DD in GB, but whom else was he close to? He was close to Doug Peterson too, but he's long retired.

I wonder if he did need a change. It's really sad to think about, because I loved watching him in the Green and Gold, especially last year.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (13h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (16h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (19h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Around The NFL / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.