Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Thompson talks, not many headlines out of it 
By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel
Feb. 26, 2010 10:59 a.m.

Indianapolis - Packers general manager Ted Thompson talked a little while ago at the NFL combine but as usual kept his cards close to his vest. He spoke in generalities on most topics.

Here are the most meaningful parts:

On whether they have an exact plan for how to do deal with contracts beyond 2010

We've been in ongoing conversations about what strategies the organization might take. We haven't really firmed all that up yet though.

On Tim Tebow as a quarterback

I will say this about Tebow. There's been a lot of discussion and commenting about him and his release or his ability to play in the National Football League. Based on his history, I think that would be a little bit premature to start criticizing him and doubting his ability to play. He's been playing at a pretty high level for quite some time. Has to go down as one of the great college football players of all-time, so let's don't sell him short just yet.

On off-season priorities

I think the best and most dramatic improvements you can have is from within, and that's what our offseason program has always been focused on. Now, we also place a high value on the draft, because we feel that's the future of your core players, and free agency, our own as well as maybe guys from other teams. We'll do whatever we can to try to help our team, and that's what we try to do.

On NT Ryan Pickett

In our case, it was simply a matter of, we feel like Ryan's a good player. We feel like he's a good teammate, a good leader of that group. I personally like him quite a bit. This gives us an opportunity to keep having some conversations and try to get something done. We'd like to do a multi-year deal with him, but there are differences where we are in the negotiations, and this was an avenue that we had to at least retain some right to be able to do that in the future.

On Aaron Kampman and other unrestricted free agents

With all of our free agents, we've been having conversations. There's nothing to report on any of those things, so as opposed to speaking to Aaron directly, I'll just speak in general, and this may answer a few other questions you might have. We don't have anything to report. Historically speaking and it certainly applies this year, our policy has always been to try to retain as many of our own players as we could.

On whether or not he thinks Brett Favre will play next season

That's an interesting question.

Thompson extended Aaron Rodgers after 10 starts, Greg Jennings before getting voted to a Pro Bowl, Nick Collins is coming off back-to-back Pro Bowl seasons, what does he have to do to get an extension?

We're working on it, and have been (for) some time....I'm always optimistic, but the cake is not done until it's done....He's a good player. A good guy, good teammate....He is a marvelous athlete. He's got range, he's got hands, he's got anticipation, he's a good tackler. He's a good player. He's one of the core guys that we want to have.

On what he looks for in outside linebackers?

I know I sound repetitive, but I look for good players. There are probably ideal heights and lengths and stuff like that in terms of a body makeup that you look for, but it doesn't necessarily translate into the best 3-4 outside linebacker. James Harrison of Pittsburgh does not fit those height/length requirements, but he's a marvelous player. He was the Defensive Player of the Year two years ago. So you probably trend toward that. In a 3-4 in the scouting business, there is more projecting of pass rushers to those 3-4 outside linebacker positions. It's a very difficult thing to do because if a guy has never stood up and played before, just because he can run fast or do drills, it doesn't necessarily mean he can stand on his feet and play the game, but it does work out sometimes. As much as we can, we try to stick with guys that have proven that they can play the game. Clay Matthews last year is a perfect example. There were times where he put his hand down on the ground and rushed the passer, but a large majority of the time he was standing up and playing linebacker.

On Aaron Kampman's development as a 3-4 linebacker

Oh, I think Aaron was doing very good. It's a shame he got hurt, but he was doing fine. He's physical, he's got the ability to get thick on people. Somebody told me that term the other day and I wanted to use it, so there it is. He can play the game. He sacks the quarterback, and that's unbelievably valuable in our league.

This section is from when Thompson spoke in the hallway to a smaller group of reporters.

On how he feels about his offensive tackles

I like them. We have a couple of them that are schedule to be unrestricted free agents. But I'm OK with our guys. I think our offensive line has taken a lot of heat and I know they all think they can play a little bit better so we're going to try to get better.

Are you having talks with Clifton and Tauscher?

I'm not going to get into any of the specific guys on that stuff, but we are having talks with players.

If the Bears or Vikings come after Kampman, would that change your approach?

No, no, no. With any of our players, if in fact we get to the start of the new league year and they become free agents, they become free agents. And we still continue to talk.

Could Kampman be your starting left outside linebacker?

Sure.

On importance of depth in secondary

Well, you can never have too many of them because things happen but that's part of the business, the durability of your group to get through a season. You look out and see who you're finishing with as opposed to who you started with, sometimes it's a different cast of characters.

Will you handle Kampman's injury the same way you did Tauscher -- waiting until he's healthy?

I'm not going to get into specifics of what we would do with Aaron.

Will you have your own salary cap?

There's been a lot of talk publicly about things like that. We will organizationally have a plan and we'll go about that plan. What those internal thoughts are that we would do or not do, I don't think that's for public consumption.

On whether there could be some good free agent values with some teams cutting costs

Well, we're always looking for value. Again, we're kind of in unchartered waters so it's hard to predict. But we're trying to be prepared for whatever circumstances might come out. And if we can help the Packers, we're going to try to try to help them.

On how difficult judging the restricted free-agent tenders will be

I think they're always difficult. We work through different scenarios and we're continuing to, to try to make sure it's the right thing because one size doesn't fit all in this thing. There are different circumstances around every player.

On how he would describe the Packers' punting the past two years

Inconsistent, probably.

On returners

It's a dangerous job because it seems like everyone we put out there to return punts or kickoffs gets hurt. Will Blackmon is a good returner. It hurt us when he got hurt last year. Some people, you kind of forget those things.

On how much their draft board changes after the combine

Our board gets set based on what we saw them play in the game. Then we come to this thing and I go back home and me and (director of college scouting) John Dorsey will get together and we'll move a bunch of names around by the time you get to the draft, those names go back to the original place they were before we came to the combine. I swear it happens. You go back and watch the tape and you say, 'You know what? We're nuts.' But it's a hard job to predict what a young man who's 21 years old, you watched him play in college, what he's going to be like when he's 23. That's some of the biggest growing you're going to do in your life. So it's a crapshoot. So as much as we can, we try to lean on the football stuff and say, 'Is he a good player and does he like to play the game?' If he can do those two things, he has a chance to be a Packer.

END

I literally laughed out loud as I read this article. When will reporters learn that there's little to no point in interviewing Ted Thompson, as he isn't going to give you anything of substance anyway?

I am curious about that word "unchartered" though. Did Thompson actually say that or did he say "uncharted"?
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
I think the buzz word at the combine from the NFL side is uncharted.. seems to be in vogue this year with the looming uncapped year.

BTW.. I think that is an NFL tactic as well.. putting a little more fear into the players.

You can take most of this fluff and 86 it.. we have no idea how active they are with certain players or positions right now.. and without the players talking.. we probably won't since we are very tight on whom from the organization can speak with the press.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Somebody already beat me to this months ago, but Ted Thompson would make a good politician.

So, how do you feel about the Iraq War?

Yeah. That's interesting.

Do you have any plans to fix the economy?

It's a mess we're in. That's for sure. And yes, I've discussed the economy very thoroughly with my advisers and I do indeed have some plans to fix it.

Which past President do you think you would emulate the most?

There were a lot of past Presidents that I liked. A lot of good selection. I feel honored to have met a few of them. A lot of good stuff to learn.

--

That's about as much info as I got out of the article Non posted. Geez, you're better off reading football rumors than asking Ted Thompson directly.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
14 years ago
The answer to the favre question was funny.
UserPostedImage
bboystyle
14 years ago
bash him as an interviewer all u want but he has done more good for the team then bad which is more then i could say for our former GM and alot of GM's around the league currently...I like his silent type...He'll address our issues through the draft and we'll end up falling in love with the break out players he gets and we'll once again praise his talent scalping....
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Editor : Writer, I want a interview with Ted Thompson in next weeks release.
Writer : Wha, c'mon he never says anything, boss. I'd have better luck getting water out of a rock.

Go Ted Go!
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
There once was a President who never talked to the media. Dang. Forgot which one.

True story. A reporter told this President that he had a bet with his boss that he could get three words out of him. The President's reply?

"You lose."

Any of you believe in reincarnation? Is it possible that Ted Thompson is his reincarnation?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
That story is about Calvin Coolidge, although you have the details wrong. According to the (possibly apocryphal) tale, young poet Dorothy Parker was seated next to President Coolidge at a dinner party and said to him: "Mr. Coolidge, I've made a bet against a fellow who said it was impossible to get more than two words out of you."

Without even looking at her, he responded: "You lose."

Upon being informed of President Coolidge's death, Miss Parker is reported to have quipped: "How could they tell?"
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I read Zombieslayer's post this morning with my mouth full of milk and cereal, and I had to suppress my oral reflexes, in an effort to avoid requiring CPR. The following two quotes are particularly hilarious:

So, how do you feel about the Iraq War?

Yeah. That's interesting.

Which past President do you think you would emulate the most?

There were a lot of past Presidents that I liked. A lot of good selection. I feel honored to have met a few of them. A lot of good stuff to learn.

+1 to you, sir.

And bboystyle, no one here is criticizing Ted Thompson for his laconic style. As I have pointed out many times, I believe that a good general manager is like a good poker player: he reveals no more information than absolutely necessary.

My only point in posting this article was to point out the folly of interviewing Ted Thompson, since you never learn anything anyway.
UserPostedImage
Brettizzle
14 years ago
Ha I agree he would be a good politician, its pretty impressive how he can avoid questions.
Jermichael Finley

We will be in Indianapolis

Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (16h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (16h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (18h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (19h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (22h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (23h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.