coltonja
14 years ago

Tebow as a TE or FB nice hopefully that was sarcastic

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

It wasn't, actually. Converting a college QB to a TE is hardly unprecedented (anyone remember Jay Novacek?). A few minutes ago, I found this article that suggests doing this very thing:

Daily mailbag: Tebow as a tight end? 
March, 3, 2010

By Kevin Seifert

You sent a fair amount of a feedback on Tuesday's Tim Tebow post, to say the least. A couple (thousand) of you wondered why we devoted so much energy to a prospect our own analysts consider a second-day draft pick.

My own take on that thought: Tebow falls into a gray area that makes his draft status ripe for the kind of debate that makes this time of year so much fun. He's one of the top players in the recent history of college football, and he's trying to find a way to continue playing at the next level. It's really nothing more than that.

I would like to follow up on one angle we didn't spend much time on Tuesday. Brian of Winston-Salem, N.C., sent this observation to the mailbag: "I think his overall best chance at success in the NFL is as a tight end." An NFL model in that regard, Brian writes, is former Dallas tight end Jay Novacek.

I'm guessing Tebow is going to make a pretty hard run at playing quarterback before he switches to tight end or any other position. At the combine, he measured just under 6-foot-3 and weighed 236 pounds. His 40 time of 4.72 was good but not necessarily elite for a tight end.

Ultimately, I am sure there are some teams who would try him at tight end before quarterback. What about you?

"coltonja" wrote:

UserPostedImage

Oh now that you mention it, since one guy did it for the Cowboys, it sounds like a good idea. Except I have never heard of that working before PLUS we already have JF PLUS Lee who will always be better than Tom Tebow because he can block. Heck, I'd take Havner over Tebow every single day.

I really don't know why I'm still debating this. If he comes to Green Bay that would be one of the dumbest picks unless it's a 7th rounder. 3rd round pick? Come on we need so much more than an overrated player who won't be doing crap in the NFL as QB, HB, FB, TE, or anything. He can't block, has no agility, and can't throw. If you want him here, you have never watched him play.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I've never indicated one way or the other if I want him. I'm discussing the issue because it was brought up.
UserPostedImage
Yared-Yam
14 years ago
No.

I would like to start a vote on the banning of the OP.
#7 Ingle Martin Supporter
The voice of REASON
TheEngineer
14 years ago
Whoever produced those photoshops is pretty good.
blank
nerdmann
14 years ago
Wouldn't mind it too much if he fell beyond the 4th, but I doubt that would happen. If anyone could make a QB out of this guy it's MM.
Make him a TE/h-back type of dude who could throw the option pass. The option pass would be a killer, esp with our WRs and TEs.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Packers_Finland
14 years ago
I wouldn't want us to draft Tebow, simply because we're good at QB, and we have loads of other needs.

I do think Tebow can have a very succesful NFL career though, if coached right. I hope the Jaguars land him, they desperately need to sell tickets, and Tebow will definitely do that.
This is a placeholder
tonyagnese
14 years ago
Yea...we have bigger needs and I doubt he'll drop to the 5th or 6th round so no thanks.
blank
Since69
14 years ago
Tebow is a hard call to make. On the one hand, his arm is weak, his mechanics are terrible and his decision making is going to be awful because of the style of offense he grew up in.

OTOH, he's a football player and a leader. He's tough and athletic. He loves the game. I honestly think he could (eventually) be an impact player at a half-dozen positions.

I'd spend a 3rd on him, just on potential alone. But I'd never draft a guy solely with the intention of grooming and trading later on. How often does that work in your favor?
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
Mark me down as a fan that wouldn't be upset if we picked Tebow in the third or later.. you can never have enough quality football players on your team.. and I believe you can make a QB out of the kid... but you would have to do it the right way.

Which is develop him away from live action for a while.. ala Rodgers path.. give him a taste here and there.. but don't let the pressure fall on him right away.

We have a decent setup to develop him... Flynn is there to back up Rodgers.

Since 69... when has it worked... examples would be Detmer, Brunnell, Brooks and Hasselbeck. It worked well in the 90's for us. That and Tebow has this buzz about him that will carry over for a couple years.. if he could come out in 2011 or 2012 and light up the preseason, I could see us parlaying that into a decent draft pick or trade package.

People pound on this kid for his throw mechanics.. but all he did in college was complete 65% of his passes and win... like guys haven't had poor mechanics in the pros and won.. #4 is a prime example.. and he has won a hell of a lot of games in his career.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=183484 

YEAR	 CMP 	ATT 	YDS 	CMP% 	YPA 	LNG 	TD 	INT 	SACK 	RAT
2006 	22 	33 	358 	66.7 	10.85 	55 	5 	1 	0 	201.73
2007 	234 	350 	3286 	66.9 	9.39 	66 	32 	6 	13 	172.47
2008 	192 	298 	2746 	64.4 	9.22 	70 	30 	4 	15 	172.37
2009 	213 	314 	2895 	67.8 	9.22 	80 	21 	5 	29 	164.17

Other people want to bust him down for his religion or beliefs... I personally admire that he is open about it. Whether I agree or not with them.. he doesn't hide from you he is.

Now.. if the Bears, Lions, Cowboys or Vikings pick him... I "hate" him. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.