Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
I couple weeks ago I noted the lack of a communicator and leader on the defense.. someone to gather the troops when things are rough.

Looks like Mike McCarthy is set on jump starting that process.. identifying leaders, however that is not just something the your "focus" on.. that is something someone steps up and takes.

Amen to the tackling focus as well.. league wide that is becoming a lost art.

BTW... fixes two of Tom's misspellings in the article. ;)

Defense has more work to do 
By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel

March 22, 2010 2:00 p.m. |(12) Comments

Orlando, Fla. -- During a break at the NFL owners meetings, Packers coach Mike McCarthy laid out a couple of areas that will require addressing during the off-season and training camp.

He was asked specifically about the inability on defense to stop the spread offenses of Pittsburgh and Arizona, but he said he his focus will be more on finishing tackles and dealing with difficult game situations. The Packers did not do either of those well in their overtime playoff loss to Arizona.

"We havent really presented it to the team yet, but the two biggest things defensively is going to be tackling and handling adversity," McCarthy said. "Our adversity situations [last] year were not close to what they needed to be and did not match up to our production throughout our defense.

"On top of that, the productivity we had throughout the defense was a vast improvement over what weve done in the past, but those are two areas were going to really emphasize. And when you guys go to practice and the OTAs in the summer, youll see some drills and things, situations and an emphasis that will be applied to highlight that the defense.

" No different than special teams. The penalties and the punting performance last year are two major emphasizes for the special teams. Youll see drills well do more of, so thats what I do with the scheme evaluation. You try to cut it down to two or three things you really hone in on, and you try to apply it to the practice structure."

Asked if he thought he might add live tackling to his training camp regimen, McCarthy said no.

"I dont think you need to go live,"he said. "There is a risk assessment in everything you do in practice. Where you are in your program, too, has something to do with it. Especially us going into year five, there are some things we can do to improve that in our drill work, and thats what will be done. But as far as lining up to go live tackling so I can beat my chest and say, this no, were not going to do that."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
RajiRoar
14 years ago
put in #55

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
nerdmann
14 years ago

put in #55

"RajiRoar" wrote:

LOL. Yeah, I think what MM's talking about is when your offense turns the ball over twice in the first three plays, against the best red zone team in the league, WHILE you are in the playoffs, that the defense should somehow magically be able to get the ball back or something.
How about not putting their backs up to the wall like that?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rockmolder
14 years ago

put in #55

"nerdmann" wrote:

LOL. Yeah, I think what Mike McCarthy's talking about is when your offense turns the ball over twice in the first three plays, against the best red zone team in the league, WHILE you are in the playoffs, that the defense should somehow magically be able to get the ball back or something.
How about not putting their backs up to the wall like that?

"RajiRoar" wrote:

First of all, they could've stopped them and made them kick a field goal. I agree, that's a very tough thing to do against an offense like Arizona's, but it's possible.

Even without those, though, that still leaves you with the defense giving up 31 points and getting carved up like a hot knife through butter. Even without looking at the stats, you could see that the defense wasn't even close to stopping the Cardinals that day.
dyeah_gb
14 years ago

First of all, they could've stopped them and made them kick a field goal. I agree, that's a very tough thing to do against an offense like Arizona's, but it's possible.

Even without those, though, that still leaves you with the defense giving up 31 points and getting carved up like a hot knife through butter. Even without looking at the stats, you could see that the defense wasn't even close to stopping the Cardinals that day.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I agree with this. By the time we were in the 4th quarter of this game, defenses on both teams looked terrible. It was like watching a boxing match where neither fighter knows how to block a punch. Although there were some questionable situations where Woodson was knocked down by Fitzgerald.

That being said, a defense with a well defined leader is a necessity. I think where this would have been most helpful for us is in the preparation leading up to the game. A leader would have emphasized that beating the Cards the week before doesn't mean crap for the following week.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago
93z, I honestly interpreted McCarthy's comments differently than you. I don't think he is at all pointing to a lack of leadership and saying we need more leaders to emerge.

Personally, I think he is pointing to the youth on this team that makes up the majority of depth on our team. While I don't think he intends to criticize Ted's approach, I think he is pointing out there are fall backs when you work with youth.

Put simply, I think he is saying that the young players on this team that played so much down the stretch had to be better at standing up to adversity. Instead of putting their heads down in shame when getting beaten, they had to find it within themselves to say "No more, period" and then stop the guys.

I think he is saying we have to put more work in with the young guys, specifically in situations that they face adversity, to build them up as players. I'd agree.

It's sort of related to the question of Special Teams - do we just have downright bad coaches or does the fact that we are the youngest team (again) and have very young Special Teams players hamper the ability of coaches to get the most out of special teams...?

A leader would have emphasized that beating the Cards the week before doesn't mean crap for the following week.

"dyeah_gb" wrote:

Honestly, I don't think that's the problem. It seems from interviews that Charles is the unquestioned leader of the team (a hell of a good one to have) and he got the guys together and let them know they had to take care of business during the week leading up to the playoff game.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (19h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (22h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
34m / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.