Zero2Cool
15 years ago

The Packers' run defense struggles have been no secret, and after watching the film of Sunday's Atlanta game, when an opponent rushed for better than 175 yards for the third straight week, Head Coach Mike McCarthy said too many players are taking it upon themselves to stop the run.

As a consequence, the scheme is repeatedly breaking down, and the run defense needs to get back to working as a unit.

"A number of times -- it's almost like we took turns doing it -- was guys trying to do too much," McCarthy said. "I think that's something you try to guard against, you try to practice against.

"Run defense is all about gap control, the proper technique and playing to the guy next to you. And the way we're situated and organized on defense, it's very evident when something goes wrong, (it's) someone not being in their gap. We had it a number of times where the defender had his head in the right gap, he has his gap in control, and then he pulls out trying to make the play. We need to get that cleaned up."

The statistics bear that out, in that it's not as though the defense is getting gashed on every run. Atlanta's Michael Turner, the league's leading rusher, was held to 3 yards or less on 13 runs Sunday, exactly half of his 26 carries (not including his 2-yard TD). Those 13 runs produced just 14 yards, so there are plenty of plays for which the gap control and the scheme work the way they're supposed to.

But Turner had 107 yards and a score on his other 13 runs, giving him a hefty per-game average of 4.7 that certainly wears out a defense and allows a top back to take over down the stretch, as he did with three straight runs for the TD after Atlanta's late interception, and then three straight runs for a first down to seal the game in the final two minutes.

It's those other 13 runs, where Turner had gains of 22, 14 and 12 on three of them, that McCarthy is talking about where a defender steps out of the scheme to try for a big-impact play and it works against the unit as a whole.

"Everybody has a gap, everybody has a key, and you have to stick your head in the gap and play with leverage, and it bounces to the free hat," McCarthy said. "That's the way we're situated.

"I look at the defense as thermostat in a football game. They need to keep the game in order, and it starts with stopping the run, and we're not doing a very good job of it. They know it, and we take the realistic approach. We're going to coach them hard and grade the film, just like we always have, and we need to get it fixed. Sometimes as a coach you can over-emphasize things, you can over-coach things. I think, not taking the responsibility away from the players, but we have guys who are just trying to do too much, and that's the facts."

Rodgers expected to continue playing
[ul]Quarterback Aaron Rodgers will be held out of practice at least on Wednesday and might return to practice on Thursday on a limited basis. But McCarthy said Rodgers is in better shape with his sprained shoulder this week than he was after initially injuring it last week in Tampa Bay, and that he's planning on Rodgers playing this week in Seattle.

"It's just important for today, tomorrow and Wednesday to rehab, try to get in front of it," McCarthy said of the sore shoulder. "Just try to keep the throws as limited as we possibly can over the course of the week. That's why giving him three days is the best option. Then we'll see where we are Thursday."

McCarthy said that last week he didn't feel all that confident Rodgers would be available based on where he was in his rehab last Friday, but he went into Sunday morning's workout with an open mind and saw that Rodgers could make the throws he needed to. The fact that Rodgers threw for 313 yards and three touchdowns spoke volumes about both his skills, having not practiced all week, and his toughness, playing through the pain.

"He was in a lot of pain," McCarthy said. "For him to go out and throw the ball the way he did and play the way he did is a tribute to him, and he definitely played big in the game. Very impressed with it."[/ul]

Penalties frustrating
[ul]The Packers' nine penalties for 97 yards on Sunday kept the team second in the league in number of penalties accepted (44) and first in yards assessed (419). In all, the Packers have had 52 penalties called against them, tied for tops in the league, with eight declined.

McCarthy has stated in the past that he's willing to accept some penalties on his defensive backs because of the defense's bump-and-run press coverage, and he did mention that rookie Pat Lee wasn't downgraded for the questionable pass interference call on him in the second quarter.

But of particular concern are the holding penalties. The Packers have had eight offensive holding penalties marched off against them through five games, plus a handful more on special teams. On Sunday, there were three offensive holding calls (one was declined) and two on special teams.

Most of those are penalties the players can avoid, McCarthy said, by avoiding sloppy technique.

"I'm promoting physical, tough football play, but it definitely has to involve good judgment," McCarthy said. "When you have holding where the defender is spinning away from you and you still have cloth and it's extended, that's not good judgment."[/ul]

Injury update
[ul]Offensive tackle Chad Clifton's hamstring strain from Sunday's game likely will keep him out of practice a good portion of the week. McCarthy said that the offensive staff hasn't decided yet what lineup it will use should Clifton not be available. Daryn Colledge shifted over to Clifton's spot at left tackle and Allen Barbre came in at left guard. Another option could be putting rookie Josh Sitton in at right guard and moving Jason Spitz to left guard.

Defensive end Michael Montgomery's ankle sprain was requiring additional tests, so his availability this week isn't known. Defensive tackle Ryan Pickett has some tendonitis in his knee and could miss some practice time.

Receiver Donald Driver also was diagnosed with a bruised thumb from getting his hand stepped on.[/ul]

UserPostedImage
Packerette
15 years ago
I am definitely glad to hear Driver's hand injury is only minor - I was worried when he stayed down so long after that TD. We can't afford any more injured players! I was also impressed at how well Rodgers played, considering you could see how much pain he was in, esp. in the second half. Following Favre, he had to feel pressure to play injured no matter what. We fans have a pretty high expectation for our QB - we've never had to really wonder who our starter will be! Definitely something we've taken for granted I think.

Those penalty stats are really depressing. It proves that penalties can really lose you the game. It was awful to watch our field goal get called back on a penalty - immediately you get that sense of dread where you know those three points are going to come back to haunt us. It never fails. Those mistakes certainly suck the momentum away.

Let's just hope they can get it together for next week!
blank
warhawk
15 years ago
I think before the season the staff talked about a concern with Jolly regarding staying within the scheme and being disciplined. He has a boat load of talent but they felt he needed to do better with gap control.

It also appears to me that the guys behind the DL including the DB's are not reacting and getting up to the line on these runs resulting in these four and five yard runs that looked like there would be no gain and guys bouncing outside on us and nobody with an angle.

Certainly the DB's could be doing a better job of recognizing run and getting up in position to contribute faster. It sure seemed like they were right there last year and often stretched running plays out for a loss.
"The train is leaving the station."
15 years ago
Penalties are killing this team. I think it's the #1 problem, with injuries being 2nd and run D being 3rd. We HAVE to clean it up, especially on the offensive line. Those are all drive killers.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
15 years ago
Lack of discipline and an overabundance of penalties are generally a sign of poor coaching.
The position coaches need to be held accountable as well as the players.
WhiskeySam
15 years ago

Lack of discipline and an overabundance of penalties are generally a sign of poor coaching.
The position coaches need to be held accountable as well as the players.

"yooperfan" wrote:

You're exactly right. +1
Nemo me impune lacessit
gbpfan
15 years ago
with the d-line when you tackle you need to wrap up and get it done seems some of the guys start then drop off the guy takes off,o-line the penalties are what is hurting and not enough time on the field maybe that is why d-line is giving up a little bit they are out there more than o-line heard that coach forget witch one said the call on finley was unfair he didn't even touch the guy but either way they have to get it together and start winning
Fan Shout
dfosterf (17h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (22h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.