Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://i.packers.com/images/action/081008humphrey215.jpg[/img_r]It was the kind of play the Packers have always felt tight end Tory Humphrey is capable of making, and why Humphrey has been given every chance to get past his injury troubles over the past three years and get on the field.

Last Sunday, the Packers were trailing Atlanta 17-10 in the fourth quarter and cornerback Tramon Williams had just intercepted a Falcons pass in the end zone, shifting the momentum Green Bay's way. On first down from the 20-yard line, Humphrey and fellow tight end Donald Lee were lined up side by side and went out into pass routes at the snap.

While Lee cut across the field, Humphrey went into a dead sprint up the seam, and quarterback Aaron Rodgers hit him in stride for a 37-yard catch-and-run that jump-started the Packers' game-tying touchdown drive.

It was just one play, but it put everything on display that the Packers have been waiting for Humphrey to show in a game - the deceptive speed for a tight end, the good route-runner with strong hands, and the ability to stretch the middle of the field.

"His confidence catching the football has improved, and he's using his speed better in the pass game," tight ends coach Ben McAdoo said. "That's something that we've always talked about. We need to play fast with urgency, and when he caught the vertical route (Sunday), he did a nice job of snapping his head back, looking for the ball, but maintaining his speed and not slowing down."

Humphrey didn't slow down the rest of the game, catching three more passes in the fourth quarter to give him four catches for 67 yards, a career day for the third-year pro.

He had recorded a similarly impressive 35-yard catch-and-run on the first snap of the preseason game at Denver back on Aug. 22, but shortly thereafter Humphrey hurt his knee and had been playing at less than full strength during the first month of the regular season.

Having been sidelined for seven games in 2006 with a hamstring injury and all of last year with a broken ankle, and then battling that knee injury early this season, Humphrey can only hope last Sunday comes to define his breakout game, not just another flash of potential.

"It felt good, but it was kind of bittersweet," Humphrey said. "We lost the game, but I hope to build on that next game and get some wins."

First and foremost, for Humphrey to build on it, he needs to stay healthy. He says he's close to 100 percent now with the knee issue, while the ankle from last year is no longer a factor.

Second, he has to continue to be productive as a run-blocker to get on the field more. Humphrey had a holding penalty against the Falcons that helped kill a promising drive, but other than that one lapse in technique, McAdoo said he was physical at the line of scrimmage.

Third, he must continue to be reliable in pass protection, which is easier said than done in the Packers' scheme because the tight ends shift between blocking at the line of scrimmage and in the backfield, depending on the formation and play call.

But where Humphrey will show his skills the most is in the passing game, and the Packers employed more multiple tight end sets against the Falcons than they had much of the season, so that may have contributed to Humphrey seeing the ball more. On the big 37-yard play, Humphrey didn't think his speed caught the Falcons off-guard as much as the personnel and formation, and McAdoo gave him credit for running a great route, one the tight ends practice from Day 1 of the offseason program.

"It was just a go route," Humphrey said. "The safeties, I think they were worried about Donald (Lee) getting down the field, and they cut me loose I guess. I was wide open and made the play. It was a big momentum boost for the team."

Humphrey's day, combined with the four catches for 25 yards from Lee on Sunday, could provide some momentum for the entire offense as well. Coming into Week 5, Lee and Humphrey had combined for 12 receptions worth 91 yards this season. They posted a collective eight catches for 92 yards in just one game, and it's not just a coincidence that the Packers topped 400 yards of total offense last Sunday for the second time in 2008.

"The more guys are involved, the more the defense has to worry about," Humphrey said. "They might key on certain guys, or double-team a guy or one of the receivers, and leave one of the tight ends open, or leave the back open out in the flat. It opens up a lot of good things for us."

The game plans will dictate how that goes the rest of the way, and there's no way of guaranteeing what those game plans will feature. For instance, depending on matchups and schemes, there are always those games where Green Bay's tight ends are called on to help protect the passer more than catch passes.

But while Lee showed last season, with career bests of 48 catches, 575 yards and six touchdowns, that he's ready whenever his number is called, last Sunday proved Humphrey can be too.

"By coverages and the way things shake out sometimes, it may not seem or feel like we're a part of the pass game, but that's certainly not the case," McAdoo said of his tight end group. "(Sunday) we just had more opportunities based on the coverages called and the plays called at certain times.

"It's obviously a step in the right direction. I'm excited for Tory and excited for the future he has. We've been sticking with him because of his ability. He's a smart player, and he's a high-character guy. We just need to keep getting better every day."

I'm still on the boat of start Humphrey over Lee.
UserPostedImage
beast
15 years ago

I'm still on the boat of start Humphrey over Lee.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I was in that boat last year before he got injured. I kind of jumped ship this pre-season. I wanted Haynos even though I knew he wasn't one of the top 3. But I still wanted him because of his huge potential.

I think Humphry has more talent than Lee but Humphry is still more raw than Lee.

I really like Humphry but I'm still waiting for more.
UserPostedImage
Jakest3r
15 years ago
I'd love to start Humphrey over Lee, and the main reason is because Lee isn't producing like last season. The only thing that is discerning to me is the fact that we gave Lee an extension for a reasonable amount of money and all of a sudden he has just completely disappeared. I haven't paid enough attention to see whats causing him to not gain separation, but he has just become completely irrelevant in the Packers offense.
blank
evad04
15 years ago
So much of what we think about players oscillates from week to week, based on performance. I think there are too many immediate evaluations made. I think Donald Lee is a good tight-end and will step up. At times we haven't had a very productive offense. At the moments it was doing well, it was largely do to explosive plays in the passing game. Explosive plays in the passing game usually feature explosive wide receivers. We have one of those. His name is Gregorious.

I like Humphrey. I hope he continues to make plays. But there's no controversy -- Lee is our starter.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
tromadz
15 years ago
I don't care who starts as long they produce.

We need to use our tight ends in the pass game while defenses crap themselves over the Driver\Jennings threat.
gakko
15 years ago
Rodgers hasn't targeted Lee as much as Favre did last season. Also we have a lot of targets for our QB, so it may be difficult to get that kind of production as Rodgers shifts around a lot regarding who's his target.
blank
bakler5
15 years ago
Lee, or any tight end for that matter, isn't producing because we keep them in to help our piss poor line block. Lee is still the best tight end on this team, maybe not the most potential, but by far the best right now. As far as potential goes i believe Finley has the most.
God didn't create Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Rodgers created God.
Since69
15 years ago

Lee, or any tight end for that matter, isn't producing because we keep them in to help our piss poor line block.

"bakler5" wrote:

werd. +1
UserPostedImage
tromadz
15 years ago

Lee, or any tight end for that matter, isn't producing because we keep them in to help our piss poor line block.

"Since69" wrote:

werd. +1

"bakler5" wrote:

Not watching much of the games, are ya guys?

Because I really wish that was the case, and I'd like to see a lot of that until the Oline gets their heads out of their asses.
bakler5
15 years ago

"tromadz" wrote:

werd. +1

"Since69" wrote:

Not watching much of the games, are ya guys?

Because I really wish that was the case, and I'd like to see a lot of that until the Oline gets their heads out of their asses.

"bakler5" wrote:

Actually I have seen every snap of every game. If i remember correctly from the live chat last week you were the one struggling to be able to watch the game. :thumbleft:
God didn't create Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Rodgers created God.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (13h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (15h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (18h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Around The NFL / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.