porky88
  • porky88
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
The projected rounds for each player is a guess on which round I believe the player will be selected. It is not meant to reflect my view of the player or how I think the player will turn out as a pro. That reflection can be seen in the order I rank the player and the analysis I give.

RBs

1. C.J. Spiller, Clemson
The true definition of an all-purpose player, Spiller is just as big as a threat as a receiver and return man as he is in the backfield. He's also arguably the biggest playmaker in the draft along with Dez Bryant. However, he isn't Chris Johnson 2.0 like some think, but not many players are. He'll be very enticing to teams picking in the top half of round one.

Projected Round: 1st

2. Ryan Mathews, Fresno State
Matthews is a compact runner that catches the ball out of the backfield well. He has a great combination of size and speed, but his best quality is he'll never have to come off the field. His proday was terrific and he solidified his status as a first round pick. While he lacks the power of Jonathan Dwyer and the dynamic ability of Spiller, he's still the best three down back in the draft.

3. Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
Toughest runner in the draft whom was highly productive at Georgia Tech the last two seasons. Dwyer might fit best in a zone system where he can one cut and go. He'll wear down opposing defenses and he gets stronger as the game goes on. He'll have to watch his weight in the NFL, but should make a good pro if he can make the proper adjustments.

Projected Round: 2nd or 3rd

4. Jahvid Best, California
An explosive player with the versatility to contribute in three phases of the game, Best projects as a third down back in the NFL. While he'll see his carries at the next level, it's his contributions as a receiver and return man that will define him as a player. He may be undersized, but he's every bit as dynamic as Spiller.

Projected Round: 1st or 2nd

5. Dexter McCluster, Mississippi
Arguably one of the most interesting players in the draft, McCluster projects to several different positions. Some see him as a receiver and others a runningback, but there is no denying that he'll be a unique weapon for whatever team selects him. It's worth noting he doesn't have great straight line speed, but he's quick and explosive when he has the football.

6. Joe McKnight, Southern California
Highly touted playmaker at Southern California that was supposed to replace Reggie Bush, McKnight never quite lived up to the expectations. He is however an explosive back with breakaway type of speed. Has the capabilities to contribute in the return game, but overall, he'll be best utilized as a third down back.

Projected Round: 3rd or 4th

7. Toby Gerhart, Stanford
Highly productive runner in college, Gerhart finished second in the closest Heisman vote in history this past season. Has great vision and runs through a lot of tackles, but he won't make guys miss in open space. Might ultimately have to convert to fullback.

8. Anthony Dixon, Mississippi
Big physical runner that has starting potential, but isn't the big play guy that most of the players ranked above him are. Patient runner that hits the hole hard, but won't run away from many defenders. At worse, he'll be a power back that converts short yardage situations.

Projected Round: 4th or 5th

9. Montario Hardesty, Tennessee
A down hill runner with good instincts, Hardesty will be an excellent fit for a team running the zone blocking scheme, which he excelled in last season under Lane Kiffin. He lacks upside and probably will only be an occasional spot starter, but he's a good pass blocker. That will help his draft stock on draft day.

10. Ben Tate, Auburn
Tate is a raw talent that will need coaching up at the next level. He lacks patience in allowing the hole to develop and he's also not very elusive. Still, you can see some intriguing upside that could get a team to jump on him a round earlier than most would project.

Projected Round: 4th

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/articles/index.php?id=893 
porky88
  • porky88
13 years ago
WRs

1. Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State
Bryant's talent speaks for itself. He has excellent hands and does a good job of going up and getting the ball at it's highest point. He's quick despite his size and makes defenders miss in space. However, character issues could cause him to slide. Red flags have been raised about his maturity and whether or not he's responsible. He hasn't helped himself based on some of his reactions to the criticism, but he's a big time talent with big time ability and that will get him drafted in round one.

2. Damian Williams, Southern California
Productive with great instincts, Williams is an outstanding route runner that catches nearly everything thrown at him. He has all the tools you look for in a reliable starting receiver, but his workouts aren't going to blow anyone away. He has the unfortunate label of being undersized and slow, which isn't going to get you noticed much, but he might be the most polished receiver in the draft. I think he'll turn some heads as a pro.

3. Arrelious Benn, Illinois
Benn is one of the most talented players arguably in this draft and was a highly touted recruit. He has a great combination of size and speed, but was very underutilized at Illinois and didn't put up great numbers. He also wasn't the big play man people had hoped for. Some have labeled him with the boom or bust tag, which fits, but the boom part is very high.

Projected Round: 2nd

4. Golden Tate, Notre Dame
A terrific 2009 season along with an outstanding combine workout has propelled Tate up draft boards. He was highly productive and proved to be a great deep threat in college. He also can run after the catch and it's worth noting, he's kinda sneaky fast. I think his combine forty surprised some people including myself. However, he lacks the ideal size and isn't a natural route runner. Sometimes he doesn't snag the football, which can result in him dropping the easy passes.

5. Eric Decker, Minnesota
With the size, route running, toughness and hands all being there, Decker has a chance to be a solid contributor as a pro. Despite those attributes, he does lack great speed and quickness. He won't make many guys miss and because of this, he's probably your ideal possession receiver rather than someone who will make big plays.

Projected Round: 3rd

6. Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech
One of the most talked about talents in the draft, Thomas has all the physical tools to be a Pro Bowl caliber player. I have reservations because he didn't play in a pro style caliber offense and is an inexperience route runner because of this. His hands are not always that reliable too. I'm not sure there is enough on him to take in the first round. With that said, all it takes is one team and there is a chance of that happening.

Projected Round: 1st or 2nd

7. Jacoby Ford, Clemson
While he probably won't be a starter at the next level, Ford's speed separates him from most prospects in this draft. There is no way to label him as a player other than to say he is very fast. His 4.28 forty speaks for itself. He's quite small and he won't wow you with his route running, but he has the dynamic playmaking potential that if used right, could be a real weapon at the next level. If brought along with some patience, he also could develop into a nice slot receiver with return capabilities.

Projected Round: 4th

8. Taylor Price, Ohio
Despite the lack of production, Price is a raw talent that has some sleeper potential. He has ideal size and speed to play receiver in the pros and could be a terrific deep threat. However, he isn't a natural route runner and his hands are very inconsistent. His talent is very unpolished, but the physical tools are intriguing.

9. Brandon LaFell, Louisiana State
Has the prototype look of a receiver at the next level, but doesn't catch the ball very well at times. He doesn't accelerate off the line of scrimmage well and won't make any guys miss at the next level. Probably a possession receiver that will convert a lot of third downs. Not sure if he'll ever live up to the billing he had entering the 2009 season where some thought he had first round ability.

10. Carlton Mitchell, South Florida
South Florida has already produced one freakish talent in Jason Pierre-Paul, but they also have another looming in Mitchell. He has a good frame with excellent speed to go along with it. Mitchell does a nice job of getting off the line of scrimmage, but he doesn't look like a natural receiver. His route running leaves a lot to be desired and he doesn't go up and get the ball as well as he should for someone with his size.

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/articles/index.php?id=894 
porky88
  • porky88
13 years ago
TEs

1. Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma
Gresham possess excellent combination of size and athleticism. He's one of the best pass catchers in the draft and goes up and gets the ball out of the air. When he lines up as a receiver, he looks natural despite his size. The only major red flag is his durability. He's coming off of a knee injury, which caused him to miss all of the 2009 season. Despite durability concerns, look for him to come off the board within the first 25 picks.

2. Ed Dickson, Oregon
Dickson did a great job of taking advantage of the predraft process with a strong senior bowl and a great showing at the combine. He played in a spread offense at Oregon and will have to make the adjustment in a pro style offense, but he might be the most explosive tight end in the draft. He'll be a great pass catcher with good hands, but don't expect him to make a difference in the running game as a blocker.

3. Rob Gronkowski, Arizona
Like Gresham, Gronkowski didn't play in 2009, but also like Gresham, he's a good enough pro prospect to overcome that. His size and pass catching are well established, but what might be overlooked is just how good of a run blocker he is. In terms of bringing the combination of pass catching and run blocking to a team, Gronkowski is unmatched in this draft. While athleticism is starting to take over the position, this throwback player will still likely be the second tight end off the board.

4. Aaron Hernandez, Florida
Undersized and character concerns are the biggest red flags for Hernandez, but he's an outstanding athlete that catches the ball well. He's also a fluid route runner. He may however have to move to H-back at the next level because of the size concerns. Expect to hear Chris Cooley comparisons when he comes off the board.

5. Garrett Graham, Wisconsin
A pass catcher that might also have to move to H-back at the next level, Graham reminds me a lot of former Badger Owen Daniels. While he's not the natural athlete that Daniels is, he's is kinda sneaky athletic and has a knack for getting open.

6. Jimmy Graham, Miami (FL)
An intriguing prospect that is trying to follow in the footsteps of the likes of Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates as a college basketball player turn pro football player. Graham only has one year of college football experience, but he's the most athletically gifted tight end in this draft. He's a project that will take time to develop, but the potential might be unlimited.

7. Dorin Dickerson, Pittsburgh
A tremendous athlete, Dickerson can stretch the center of the field as he has the elite speed to get up the seam in a hurry. However, he's not a great route runner and lacks the ideal size you look for in a tight end. Like Hernandez, he looks more like an H-back in the NFL than anything else.

Projected Round: 3rd

8. Dennis Pitta, BYU
Highly productive tight end that catches the ball well. Pitta does a nice job of getting open, but he isn't much of a run blocker and he has limited upside. He won't make many big plays, but he'll be a productive player inside the 20s.

9. Anthony McCoy, Southern California
Athletic for his size, McCoy brings a good combination of receiving and blocking in his skill set. He's a big body tight end that will be a threat in the redzone at the next level, but probably won't do much in the middle of the field.

10. Andrew Quarless, Penn State
Quarless displays good athleticism and is a natural pass catcher, but isn't very polished in his route running. Excellent frame and has the prototypical tight end look. Also has the ability to go up and get the ball in traffic. Character concerns and production are red flags that will drop him in the draft.

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/articles/index.php?id=895 
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
Nice, very nice.

Montario Hardesty, I feel, is a second to third rounder though, and I wouldn't be surprised if Chargers pulled the trigger on him in the early second round.
This is a placeholder
TengoJuego
13 years ago
I'm still in belief that Golden Tate will be the best rookie WR next season. In the long run, I cant be certain, but I think Tate will be a hot player this season. Barring any kind of injury.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (18h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.