porky88
  • porky88
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
The projected rounds for each player is a guess on which round I believe the player will be selected. It is not meant to reflect my view of the player or how I think the player will turn out as a pro. That reflection can be seen in the order I rank the player and the analysis I give.

ILBs

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/articles/index.php?id=905 

1. Rolando McClain, Alabama
A powerful player that will be coveted by 3-4 teams, McClain can take on and shed blockers well. He plays the game with terrific instincts and is very stout against the run. Technically sound tackler that wraps up, he's also capable of delivering the big hit. Won the Butkus Award, which is given to the best linebacker in college football. He did this despite having Crohns disease. That likely won't effect his stock as he's been battling it since he was a high school freshman. Would be my pick for defensive rookie of the year if put in the right situation.

Projected Round: 1st

2. Brandon Spikes, Florida
Spikes was the heart and soul of the Florida Gator defense. Like McClain, he's a powerful tackler capable of delivering the big hit. However, he's slow. He didn't break a 5.0 in the forty yard dash, which shows he may not have the speed to be an every down player as a pro. It's unlikely he'll hold up in coverage considering how fast everyone is in the NFL. Still he shows up for every game. I think he can start in the 3-4 as an inside linebacker.

Projected Round: 3rd or 4th

3. Sean Lee, Penn State
A reliable tackler with terrific instincts, Lee is likely to be the second inside linebacker off the board. He does a good job of pursuing the ball carrier and making tackles in space. He's had injuries and actually missed the 2008 season because of a knee injury, but he came back strong in 2009.

Projected Round: 2nd

4. Darryl Sharpton, Miami (FL)
Sharpton is a smaller athletic linebacker that could project outside as well as inside. He's capable of making the big hit, but struggles to get off blocks due to being undersized. Looks like a cover 2 player as a pro. Productive 2009 season.

Projected Round: 4th or 5th

5. Donald Butler, Washington
While he's not a big hitter, Butler does a nice of job of reading and pursuing the play. He's one of the more athletic inside linebackers and has the quickness to play in space. Runs well and is solid, but might not have a lot of upside.

6. Jamar Chaney, Mississippi State
Terrific motor that never stops, Chaney has an excellent combination of size and speed. He's consistent and can go sideline to sideline. Durability issues will drop him, but he could be a steal in this draft if given the time to develop.

7. Micah Johnson, Kentucky
A big backer, Johnson looks like a 3-4 inside linebacker at the next level. He lacks the athletic ability to be a three-down backer, but he takes on blocks well and can make the big hit. Stout against the run, but struggles if isolated one on one.

Projected Round: 5th or 6th

8. Kion Wilson, South Florida
Wilson can get loss in the middle of things, but he has the straight-line speed to run down ball carriers. He's not particularly good in coverage, but he has good size. He'll make an impact early probably on special teams, but I could see him developing into an average starter.

9. Pat Angerer, Iowa
Smart and instinctive, Angerer doesn't have a lot of physical attributes, but he was a reliable player for the Iowa program. He's a sound tackler and discipline. Lacks upside and probably isn't a starter. Could make an impact on special teams.

10. Josh Hull, Penn State
A big bodied linebacker that could play the strong side in the 4-3, Hull takes on blocks well and is physical at the point of attack. Not very athletic, but highly productive at Penn State. Smart and reliable. Probably a reserve 3-4 inside backer, but could make an impact playing special teams.

Projected Round: 6th or 7th
porky88
  • porky88
14 years ago
OLBs

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/articles/index.php?id=908 

1. Brandon Graham, Michigan
Athletic and versatile, Graham helped his stock tremendously with a terrific senior bowl. He's an explosive player off the ball. His first step is the quickest of any pass rusher in this draft. He also has a high motor as he'll never quit on a play. Solid against the run, but sometimes he can be too aggressive and he'll over pursue. Will he be able to holdup in coverage? Height and arm length is also a concern. Still Graham is a perfect candidate to make the switch from 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker. He has enough athleticism to do it. If he was 6-4 instead of 6-1, he'd be a top ten pick. That's how good he is. However, because of his height, he'll drop in the first.

2. Sergio Kindle, Texas
While he's not as intimidating as Brian Orakpo, Kindle compares very well to last year's NFL defensive rookie of the year. Kindle is a great athlete that can get off blocks and make the play. He gets after the quarterback, but he also has the versatility to drop back in coverage. He looks like a natural rush linebacker as a pro in either the 3-4 or even the 4-3 depending the scheme.

3. Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
Weatherspoon is arguably the most aggressive linebacker in the draft. He's terrific in pursuit and is capable of making the big hit in space. He's also versatile. I could see him playing inside in the 3-4 or outside in the 4-3. However, his best fit would be as a 4-3 outside linebacker in a scheme that calls for a lot of blitzing. There are however, concerns about his attitude. He didn't make it a secret that he likes to talk trash on the field. How teams perceive that is up to them, but as a talent, Weatherspoon brings a lot to the table.

4. Jerry Hughes, TCU
Like Graham, Hughes was a defensive end in college but will likely convert to linebacker in the pros. He's best defined by his ability to get after the quarterback. He's one of the better pure pass rushers in the draft. However, his run support leaves a lot to be desired. I also don't think he has the versatility to drop back and excel in coverage. None the less, Hughes is a very good athlete. If you're like me and you put a big emphasis on pass rush when building a team, Hughes is very valuable then. Especially to the 3-4 teams.

Projected Round: 1st or 2nd

5. Daryl Washington, TCU
A bit overlooked, but for awhile it wouldn't of been a stretch to imagine Washington going ahead of Weatherspoon. In fact, it still wouldn't shock me. Washington has the athleticism to play sideline to sideline and he does a nice job in coverage. He doesn't have the frame to get much bigger, but he's still physical against the run. Not a great pass rusher, but a productive 2009 season really put him on the map.

Projected Round: 1st or 2nd

6. Navorro Bowman, Penn State
Maybe a little undersized, but regardless, Bowman possess great athleticism. He reads and reacts well to the play and he shows ability to get off of blocks. He's a sound tackler that displays good disciplined. However, he lacks versatility. I don't think you can move him around a lot. He looks like a cover 2 linebacker as a pro.

Projected Round: 2nd

7. Rennie Curran, Georgia
A sideline to sideline player, Curran was a highly productive collegiate player. He has a great first step and can deliver the big blow. In open space, he breaks down and does a nice job of wrapping up. He's very undersized and lacks versatility, but an underrated talent. Potential cover 2 linebacker.

Projected Round: 4th

8. Koa Misi, Utah
A tremendous athlete that is explosive off the ball, Misi is a potential 3-4 outside linebacker. He does a nice job in pursuit and never gives up on a play. He looks natural in space, which is impressive for his size. He has upside and could develop into a starter, but he won't be a game breaker.

Projected Round: 2nd or 3rd

9. Eric Norwood, South Carolina
Not as tall as you'd like, but Norwood is an instinctive player. He takes good angles in tracking down the ball carrier. Struggles to take on blocks and he's not a powerful hitter, but he can play in space, which is impressive for someone who weighs as much as he does. Looks more like a 3-4 player, but his height will turn some teams off.

Projected Round: 3rd

10. Ricky Sapp, Clemson
Sapp has the frame to possibly bulk up. He's an outstanding athlete that gets off the ball quick. He struggles against the run and doesn't read and react well for a potential linebacker. Still he has all the tools to be a pass rusher, but looks more like a situational player than an every-down player.

Projected Round: 2nd or 3rd
dfosterf
14 years ago
My recollection is that CM3 was one of the few top prospects to actually play in a 3-4 scheme in college.

I also know that Sergio Kindle played the majority of his snaps as a 3-4 OLB, with obvious great success on the number one defense in the country last year.

He played a lot of DE also--My understanding was they were showcasing him as not "just" a 3-4 OLB, but a legitimate 4-3 DE as well (A put on weight kind of plan)

My question is this. Having just listened to Charlie Casserly discuss the time frame for a transition from college DE to 3-4 OLB as 3 years--- (He cited his discussions with Cowher about this) contrasted with the likelihood of a faster transition from college to pros for those few top prospects that actually played from the two point stance--- He essentially said, (And I know others have seen this) "Expect little or nothing from your 4-3 DE conversion in the first couple of years".

Given our perception that we are on the cusp of great things, coupled with an immediate need for an improved pass rush.

In light of the above, and taking into consideration that Mathews (a college 3-4 OLB) made an immediate impact.

Are there ANY other top-flight OLB prospects that have 3-4 OLB college experience besides Kindle?

Will everyone be satisfied if that aspect of the projections hold true? That is, zero impact next year plus, but great in couple of years with the 4-3 converted DE's?
British
14 years ago
Also Brad Jones played in a 3-4 hyrbid scheme at Colorado.

I'd be happy for limited 1st year production as long as they became an impact player down the road.

That's why Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy preach about the biggest improvement being 'from within' the current roster rather than relying on new players to push a team over the top.
UserPostedImage
porky88
  • porky88
14 years ago
Kindle will probably have an easier transition to the 3-4, but Graham is a better pure pass rusher. You may not see Graham as an every-down player early in his career because it's tough to go from playing in a three point to standing up. However, if he can get after the QB better than Kindle, he should be the pick. I think GB needs someone to just go after the QB. I don't care about the other stuff. Just get pressure. I think Graham does that better than Kindle.

With that said, Kindle would be a great pick too. He's more versatile and maybe more dynamic. He and Matthews would give the Packers two very similar outside rush backers. They both can rush obviously, but they both can drop into coverage and cover well. Dom Capers could probably disguise things better. With Graham, you probably are expecting him to blitz, but with Kindle and Matthews, you don't know. They could unleash the hounds as Mr. Burns would say or they could send one or the other.

What I'm saying is that Graham would give the defense more pass rush and long term potential. Kindle gives it more versatility.
Dulak
14 years ago

Kindle will probably have an easier transition to the 3-4, but Graham is a better pure pass rusher. You may not see Graham as an every-down player early in his career because it's tough to go from playing in a three point to standing up. However, if he can get after the QB better than Kindle, he should be the pick. I think GB needs someone to just go after the QB. I don't care about the other stuff. Just get pressure. I think Graham does that better than Kindle.

With that said, Kindle would be a great pick too. He's more versatile and maybe more dynamic. He and Matthews would give the Packers two very similar outside rush backers. They both can rush obviously, but they both can drop into coverage and cover well. Dom Capers could probably disguise things better. With Graham, you probably are expecting him to blitz, but with Kindle and Matthews, you don't know. They could unleash the hounds as Mr. Burns would say or they could send one or the other.

What I'm saying is that Graham would give the defense more pass rush and long term potential. Kindle gives it more versatility.

"porky88" wrote:

I havnt seen these peeps in person (obviously) but just going from the youtube vids and the different pundits perspectives - I think kindle would be the better LOLB for us.

out of the 3 ie graham/kindle/hughes

a bit bigger/versatile when needed/ has played DE and OLB

you notice that CM often drops in coverage when needed ya of course not the best covereage guy but least he's generally near his man.
dfosterf
14 years ago

"porky88" wrote:

Good post, as was the original---

Plus one for your work, here.

I think that is pretty much what I see, the nuanced difference probably is that I lean very slightly towards Kindle, again, reminding myself that Texas has an NFL style 3-4 base defense more often than not (not to be confused with that 3-3-5 becoming popular in college) and he was very good in it...As a 3-4 OLB. I think I'm saying that I see the value in "all 3" That is- Kindle, Graham and Hughes, but I think that Ted would think that Kindle would have the easiest transition- his is a transition to the pros, not a transition from a 4-3 college DE to a pro 3-4 OLB-- that is certainly different. Who would ultimately turn out to be the best is a coin flip--- This is a "best guess" position, and Ted sure guessed right with CM3, and as you said, Kindle has the kind of experience and skillset to very possibly become a repeat performance.

I have seen Kindle describes as over-rated, too. I then went back and reviewed his senior season. IMO he is not over-rated at all.

Anyway, +1 for the good stuff, Porky
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"porky88" wrote:

And that's why I favor Hughes, or Graham for that matter, over Kindle.

I think that it's great when you can get some coverage out of your OLBs. It's a huge plus. Thing is, you need one of our two OLBs to be a real pass rusher. Someone who can get the QB when you're just brining four.

We couldn't do that last year.

Matthews is not that amazing a pass rusher. He has a high motor and has some nice speed moves, but his repetoire is very limited and he too often is held out of a play after he engages with the LT from what I've seen.

I want someone on the other side who, might not be as good in coverage, but can get to the passer. Graham and Hughes fit that bill.

I actually think that Hughes will be great for a 3-4. He actually has the athleticism, speed, range etc. to become pretty decent in pass coverage. The big knock on him is that he's average against the run. I can life with that. The Colts didn't get to the SB on Matthis' and Freeney's great run stuffing. We have safeties that can tackle, a great duo of ILBs who can stop the run, a DE/NT/DE group that gets to the runner and cuts off the lane in a hurry. As long as Hughes can maintain his gap just a little, we should be fine.

And yeah, like usual, good stuff, Porky.
dfosterf
14 years ago
While we are scrapping over whichever one has fallen to us in the chat, vs. our other "need" positions and personal favorites, etc. the commish is going to announce that has Ted selected Tebow with our 23rd pick, or somebody we never heard of....which is going to be impossible, but he'll find a way...
Fan Shout
dfosterf (23h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.