djcubez
13 years ago
I'm in. Depending on how big they are though I might limit it to only having one QB and DEF on your roster period. Last year with 20 teams it sucked because I had my starting QB go down in week 2 and someone had already picked up his replacement. I was stuck with starting BACKUP QB's because all the starters were on other people's rosters.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
It should be mentioned that last year we had two (ESPN - Yahoo!) leagues, I believe 30 total teams and several were duplicated. That means, we'll probably end up with two 12 team leagues.

In which case the roster size would be adjusted accordingly.

I understand a large amount of teams can delude the talent, but why should that scare you off? Afraid you can't horde all the good players?

My response to that is man up, have some fun, it's just a game that holds on monetary value whatsoever.

And please keep the input coming! The more idea's on how to make this enjoyable for all who have the guts to join a FREE league, the better!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I'm in. Depending on how big they are though I might limit it to only having one QB and DEF on your roster period. Last year with 20 teams it sucked because I had my starting QB go down in week 2 and someone had already picked up his replacement. I was stuck with starting BACKUP QB's because all the starters were on other people's rosters.

"djcubez" wrote:

The larger the league we have, the less points a QB and Def will get you. That counters that issue you are speaking of.
UserPostedImage
doddpower
13 years ago

Ive been playing Fantasy football since 2000 and I have found the best leagues consist of 8 teams, more than that you end up with alot of people not paying attention or just not caring. I really don't see you getting 24 guys to stay active. Like I stated we had what between 2 leagues last year maybe 10 guys stay active.

But thats just me from my experience, granted i won the huge league last year but thats because I was drafting backup players that happen to become starters. But there was no fun in it because there was no waiver because everyone was drafted.

"dhazer" wrote:

I agree DHazer. 8 teams allows the most fun and activity for each team in the league. I certainly play in different leagues, but 8 teams is by far my favorite.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Ive been playing Fantasy football since 2000 and I have found the best leagues consist of 8 teams, more than that you end up with alot of people not paying attention or just not caring. I really don't see you getting 24 guys to stay active. Like I stated we had what between 2 leagues last year maybe 10 guys stay active.

But thats just me from my experience, granted i won the huge league last year but thats because I was drafting backup players that happen to become starters. But there was no fun in it because there was no waiver because everyone was drafted.

"doddpower" wrote:

I agree DHazer. 8 teams allows the most fun and activity for each team in the league. I certainly play in different leagues, but 8 teams is by far my favorite.

"dhazer" wrote:

So you can't have fun unless you're able to stockpile players? That tells us something about you. 😉

All kidding aside, I don't deny that leagues with 10 to 14 are more fun, but we're hoping to fill two leagues of a couple dozen teams. The max possible would be 24, but the more I read about others not liking the idea, the more I think it'd be difficult to make it interesting. I'm sure it could be done with the right setup of WR and RB's but most people lack the balls to play FANTASY games like that. They'd much rather see their QB win the game for them then their RB/WR combo. Too much stress I guess, lol.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
13 years ago
Its called once you draft Zero your pretty much doing anything for your team Zero. If you would have been in the Espn league you would have seen how boring it actually was. You had really no way of making your team better after the draft because all the players were drafted. But its your league and I wish the the best with it, but I can almost guarantee that bye week 4 over 1/2 the teams won't be active. Hell I wasn't even active in the ESPN league I set my starting lineup and left it till the bye weeks started.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
The_Green_Ninja
13 years ago

Its called once you draft Zero your pretty much doing anything for your team Zero. If you would have been in the Espn league you would have seen how boring it actually was. You had really no way of making your team better after the draft because all the players were drafted. But its your league and I wish the the best with it, but I can almost guarantee that bye week 4 over 1/2 the teams won't be active. Hell I wasn't even active in the ESPN league I set my starting lineup and left it till the bye weeks started.

"dhazer" wrote:

I disagree. The league was there to make you find thoes diamonds in the ruff. You had to take gambles on underpreforming 5th round picks changing to questionable FAs. It was more of a Ted Thompson type of league, find the players that you think might do good. It was boring for you dhazer becuase you had a good team drafted. That's why you won.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I've noticed that in most leagues, RB is by far the most valuable position, so the first round is inevitably a massive run on RBs. I try to structure my leagues so every position is roughly equally important (or equally risky, depending on how you want to look at it). I award lots of points for performance (yards, scoring, etc.), but the penalties for mistakes (fumbles, interceptions, etc.) are big too. Forces owners to balance aggression with ball control.

Makes for a topsy-turvy game. 😉
UserPostedImage
doddpower
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"doddpower" wrote:

So you can't have fun unless you're able to stockpile players? That tells us something about you. 😉

All kidding aside, I don't deny that leagues with 10 to 14 are more fun, but we're hoping to fill two leagues of a couple dozen teams. The max possible would be 24, but the more I read about others not liking the idea, the more I think it'd be difficult to make it interesting. I'm sure it could be done with the right setup of WR and RB's but most people lack the balls to play FANTASY games like that. They'd much rather see their QB win the game for them then their RB/WR combo. Too much stress I guess, lol.

"dhazer" wrote:

It's just a matter of opinion. Like I said, I generally play in about 5-8 fantasy leagues each year and each one has something different to offer, perhaps something like this. I was just saying that I find smaller super active leagues to be the most enjoyable.
The_Green_Ninja
13 years ago

I've noticed that in most leagues, RB is by far the most valuable position, so the first round is inevitably a massive run on RBs. I try to structure my leagues so every position is roughly equally important (or equally risky, depending on how you want to look at it). I award lots of points for performance (yards, scoring, etc.), but the penalties for mistakes (fumbles, interceptions, etc.) are big too. Forces owners to balance aggression with ball control.

Makes for a topsy-turvy game. ;)

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

NSD, I'm serious, you should make your own 8-12 team league just for all your crazy ideas.
UserPostedImage