-- Right now "the fastest man on the Packers roster."

Robert Vaughn FS 5'11'' 200lbs UConn 4.64 / 4.71 40

JS Online article to follow on Shields
dfosterf
14 years ago
JSOnline article 

Green Bay may have pulled a fast one in signing Shields

Swift prospect's stock fell after March incident

Green Bay It's a fact. Cornerback Sam Shields is the fastest man on the Green Bay Packers.

This will take time, but it's also entirely possible that Shields could rival Derrick Martin as their most dynamic special-teams player.

For a $7,500 signing bonus and a minimum contract, the Packers got themselves a free agent from the University of Miami with the speed and the versatility to find a way onto the 53-man roster.

Seven teams wanted to sign Shields when the draft ended Saturday. Green Bay, one of the two clubs Shields visited, won out.

"I liked Green Bay, the Hall of Fame, everything," Shields said from Miami. "I talked to my head coach, Randy Shannon, and I also did my homework on the depth chart and how I could fit in as far as special teams. I thought it was the best fit for me."

You won't find many wide receivers-turned-cornerbacks talking about their chances to play special teams. Shields didn't mean returning kicks, although he'd like to try that. He meant covering kicks.
Shields, 5 feet, 10 inches and 186 pounds, did that his last three seasons at "The U," both punts and kickoffs.

"Gunner - that's one of my specialties right there," said Shields. "I love it. I (forced) a lot of fair catches."

Wiry and tough, Shields wasn't often manhandled at the line. Give him half a step and it was see you later.

At pro day March 26 in Coral Gables, scouts clocked his two 40-yard dashes in 4.30 and 4.33 seconds. Some teams then subtract 0.02 because of the grass surface.

So put Shields down for 4.28, a number that would blow away everybody on the roster.

"He can flat fly," an AFC personnel man said. "And he plays it with pads on. In the Texas vs. the Nation Game, when he turned to run, it was special."

Recruited as a wide receiver out of Sarasota, Fla., Shields started 15 of 36 games from 2006-'08. Each year, his playing time and production decreased. Shields finished with 75 receptions for 971 yards (12.9) and seven touchdowns, but scouts say he dropped way too many passes.
Rather than relegate Shields to a special-teams only role as a senior, Shannon moved him to cornerback last spring. He started 10 games there for a 9-4 team, breaking up two passes and intercepting none, and was named the team's most improved player.

"He might be that (special) teams guy you make a spot for," the AFC scout said. "He can run all day with wideouts, but his problem is finishing at the ball. It's all new to him. But he might be your fifth corner, and he might end up being your fifth wideout."

Before the events of March 18, Shields figured he might be drafted in the third or fourth round. Several scouts pegged him in the later rounds.
An unmarried father of two daughters, Shields was en route to pick up one of them at her grandmother's house in Sarasota. Shortly after arrival, Shields was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of possession of marijuana (less than 20 grams). He spent that night in the Sarasota County Jail.

The story made headlines across Florida and was noted everywhere else.
Now move ahead to April 14, when the charges were dropped after Shields paid some court costs.
"Basically, everybody thinks I got pulled over because I was smoking pot and all I was never arrested before. I never tested . . that," Shields said. ". positive on a drug test. I smoked in high school, but I didn't like it. That was about it."

According to Shields, Sarasota police raided the residence shortly after he arrived because they suspected drugs were being sold there. Shields said he was not using marijuana and was falsely arrested.

Shields conceded that he deserved to be suspended by Shannon for the '07 opener because "I was immature at the time and wasn't going to class."

Shields also didn't complain about Shannon benching him for another game in '07 because of poor practice habits.

"He knows how fast I run," Shields said. "I didn't think so, but Coach Shannon said I wasn't running fast enough. He's tough. That's what I like."
Having interviewed Shields at length, the AFC executive expressed no misgivings about his character.

"Talking to him, going over his history, how he talked about other people and he never bad-mouthed anybody," the scout said. "You don't . . coaches. detect attitude in him. He's humble. Well-mannered. Unassuming. He'll do the best of his ability whatever they ask him to do."
Aside from apprenticing under Charles Woodson, Shields can't wait to resume his relationship with cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt.

"When we were looking at my film, he saw the raw talent and said he could coach me up," said Shields. "I was at the wrong place at the wrong time. It will make me better in life."

dfosterf
14 years ago
Draftblitz interview of Robert Vaughn 

Robert Vaughn Interview
UConn Safety
By: Alex Khvatov

1/18/10

Alex Khvatov: What are your measurements (height, weight and forty time)?

Robert Vaughn: 60, 202, 4.58 forty.

Alex Khvatov: What positions did you play in high school?
Robert Vaughn: In high school, I played running back, slot receiver, outside linebacker, kick returner and punt returner.

Alex Khvatov: What schools showed interest in you during the recruiting process?
Robert Vaughn: UConn, Iowa and Wisconsin were my top three. I almost committed to Iowa.

Alex Khvatov: What made you choose UConn?
Robert Vaughn: UConn was close to my home. I wanted my family to see me play. I felt comfortable with the coaching staff. I visited the campus more than once. I was able to go to UConns practices. Iowa came in late. I wasnt able to go to Iowas campus.

Alex Khvatov: What are your strengths on the football field?
Robert Vaughn: My coverage skills and my versatility. I am a ballhawk. I am a playmaker.

Alex Khvatov: What areas of your game do you need to improve upon?
Robert Vaughn: I need to be a better in the box safety. I have never been in the box. I never had to take on a fullback or a lineman on a regular basis. I played free safety at UConn. I played in the cover 4. I always played back there. I also need to get stronger.

Alex Khvatov: What were your personal and team goals heading into your senior season?
Robert Vaughn: My personal goal was to make the first-team All-Big East. I didnt make any teams this year. I made second-team my junior year. I also wanted to get five INTs this year which I got. I became more of a playmaker this year. Overall my stats were the best through my four years of playing. In the end, our team was satisfied with eight wins. We went through a lot with Jas (CB Jasper Howard). We could have easily given up. We stuck together as a family. Jas death was unexpected. It put a hurt on our program after he passed away. But we bounced back and won a few games to end the season. We beat Notre Dame and won our bowl game.

Alex Khvatov: Tell us about your bowl win over South Carolina.
Robert Vaughn: Everyone said that we cant matchup with an SEC team. They were too fast for us. We proved that we can compete. They didnt get anything on us. We came away with a win. We showed everyone that we can bounce back. We had a lot of close losses this season. But it was a good ending.

Alex Khvatov: What will you miss the most about the University of UConn?
Robert Vaughn: Playing in the Rentschler Field Stadium. In high school, I played in front of 5,000 people. I enjoyed playing on the big stage here in this stadium. You know that everyone is watching you to see if you can make the play or not make it.

Alex Khvatov: What is the most memorable moment of your college career?
Robert Vaughn: The most memorable moment is Jas. That is what I will remember. That act of violence was so unfortunate. That young man was going to have great success. You dont expect violence on a college campus. Parents feel safe when they send their kids to college. You have to feel sorry for his mom. He was going to do it. He was a determined kid. He was one of my good friends. I have been to a lot of funerals, but I broke down and cried at his funeral. He loved the game. He was a competitor. He always had a smile on his face. I see his face every day. I remember all of the conversations that we had. It has been hard after he passed away. I see his memorial on campus and his jersey on the sidelines. I know that he is in a better place.

Alex Khvatov: Describe your head coach Randy Edsall to us.
Robert Vaughn: Randy Edsall is a good coach. I am fortunate that I committed here. He taught me how to be responsible and be on time. I learned how to work hard here. The coaches have always been there for us. They worked hard. Coach Edsall always talked about the little things. Things that might not even have to do with football. He is a good all-around coach. He cares. He is a players coach. I really admire the way he handled the death of Jas. He helped us deal with it.

Alex Khvatov: What is your favorite NFL team?
Robert Vaughn: I grew up watching the Patriots. I really dont have a favorite NFL team. I will play in the NFL for any team that wants me. I dont discriminate.

Alex Khvatov: Who is your favorite NFL player?
Robert Vaughn: Rodney Harrison. I met him a couple of times. My good friend in high school had a dad that was a RBs coach for the Patriots. I had a chance to go to a few games. I went on the field and met him. I took a picture with him and picked his brain a little. He was my favorite player.

Alex Khvatov: Which underclassman on your team should we keep an eye on in the future?
Robert Vaughn: CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson. He definitely has that potential. He reminds me of Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. He is going to be a good corner.

Alex Khvatov: Has the NFL always been in the back of your mind?
Robert Vaughn: Yes, always. Since the first time I started playing football. I played running back and I wanted to be like Emmitt Smith. That is all I think about every day.

Alex Khvatov: What do you plan to do with your life after football?
Robert Vaughn: My grandfather built the barbershop business from nothing. Our family has nine barbershops around the Boston area. It is a family chain. I have grown up cutting hair. I want to help and keep this barbershop business going. The barbershop is called Lawsons. I want to maybe expand it someday.

Alex Khvatov: What are your hobbies?
Robert Vaughn: I play the drums. I played in the church. I play basketball. I like to play Madden and Call of Duty.

Alex Khvatov: Are you excited to participate in The Texas versus The Nation All-Star Game?
Robert Vaughn: Yeah, I cant wait. I have already started training. I am ready to go up there. It is like a job interview.

Alex Khvatov: How are you preparing for the NFL Draft?
Robert Vaughn: I am in Orlando training with Darrell Green. He is putting me through some good workouts. He was a 20-year veteran in the NFL. He knows a thing or two about hard work. I think that I am learning from the right man.

Alex Khvatov: Finish the sentence, Robert Vaughn is.
Robert Vaughn: A player that loves the game. I am determined to be the best that I can be. I am a good family man.

Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (7h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (7h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (7h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (10h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (11h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (13h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (14h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (19h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (19h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
59m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Random Babble / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.