Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2010/06/18/1/ 

Offseason workouts in the NFL can be a real grind. There are no games to look forward to, and there are no pads and no hitting to spice up the practice action.

But talk to a few of the Green Bay Packers' defensive players and there's definitely some excitement swirling as the offseason winds down with next week's mini-camp. That energy stems from what they see as a potentially expanded playbook in the second year of defensive coordinator Dom Capers' 3-4 scheme.

"We went through the first half of these OTAs and we were just kind of rehashing memory from last year, but now we're learning new defenses," second-year outside linebacker Clay Matthews said. "We're trying to implement new ideas and schemes to see ways in which we can beat teams that we fell short (against) last year.

"We're light years ahead of where we were last year and we look forward to start using all these plays we're putting in."

No scheme stays exactly the same from year to year. Coaches spend the first part of the offseason evaluating all their film from the prior season and looking for things to improve on or do differently.

Then OTAs are the time to start experimenting, and according to his players, Capers is doing plenty of it. That's not to say every new formation or tweak will become a permanent part of the 2010 playbook, but the OTAs accomplish two things in that regard - they provide a testing ground for new ideas, and they allow changes to be introduced long before some of the more detailed work may take place.

"I think now's the time where you can take a look at new things, see how it looks," Capers said. "It gives you a little bit more time to evaluate it. It gets it on tape, guys get a chance to look at it, and then you decide how much of it you want to do during training camp.

"You have to put a lot of volume in during training camp, and you might not use some of that until maybe after the fourth or fifth game, and then you'll save some things for the latter half of the season."

It will be interesting to see just how creative Capers might get. Last year, Packers fans saw glimpses of that when he devised the "Big Okie" package that employed linebacker Brandon Chillar in place of a safety to help stop the run, and then he unveiled the nickel look called "Psycho" with one down lineman, five linebackers and five defensive backs.

Even greater flexibility should be possible this year because all the basic concepts in Capers' 3-4 were installed last year and reviewed again this spring.

"Now we're adding things to the defense that we didn't have last year," former nose tackle turned defensive end Ryan Pickett said. "He keeps stuff coming at us, but at the same time we've got the basics. He built the foundation last year, now we're just trying to add on to it. Everybody is working to get this stuff down so we can be even better than we were last year."

That's a tall order, considering the Packers were No. 2 in the league in yards allowed, No. 1 against the run, and No. 1 in takeaways. But they did struggle against veteran quarterbacks with high-powered passing attacks, so no one is denying there's improvement to be found.

When it comes to expanding the playbook, Capers believes the players' knowledge of the base scheme goes hand-in-hand with the coaching staff's increased familiarity with the players.

Advertisement
Lambeau Field Atrium (weddings)
"I think our players know a lot more about our defense and what we expect, and I think we know a lot more about our players because we've been around them and we've seen what we feel their strengths and weaknesses are," Capers said. "So it works both ways, and hopefully that's something we can use to our advantage heading into our second year."

Defensive coaches generally employ the most creativity in devising different ways to rush the passer, and Matthews, who led the team with 10 sacks a year ago, hinted that will be the Packers' approach.

That's why he was not alarmed when the team didn't draft another outside linebacker this year to compete for the job opposite him. Not only does Matthews have confidence in fellow second-year pro Brad Jones and veteran Brady Poppinga to provide a pass-rushing complement, he sees the pass rush as a whole coming from more than just those two spots in year two.

"They have us coming from everywhere," Matthews said. "I know there's a few new wrinkles in which we'll have some inside linebackers coming off the edge, some interior linemen coming off the edge. It's kind of deceiving when you say you have two outside linebackers, because we bring everybody on the defense at one point or another rushing from an outside linebacker standpoint."

It certainly keeps the players interested, and anxious, even after a full month's worth of OTAs.

"We're putting in so many defenses that you have to stay focused," Matthews said. "We're putting in so much more than we put in last year, which I think is going to pay off dividends for us in the long run. It's a grind, but this business calls for that."

UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
13 years ago
I'm lovin' it. I really like Dom Capers as our Defensive Coordinator. He really knows how to confuse the QB.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
13 years ago
Execution and fundamentals > fancy schemes.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Amen to that, Dave.
UserPostedImage
rabidgopher04
13 years ago

I'm lovin' it. I really like Dom Capers as our Defensive Coordinator. He really knows how to confuse the QB.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

Except Brett Favre.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"rabidgopher04" wrote:

Except Brett Favre.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

Only a Favre lover would omit Ben Roethlisberger and Kurt Warner in a statement like that. 🙂
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
13 years ago

"rabidgopher04" wrote:

Except Brett Favre.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

I think he knows how, he just doesn't want to bring the heat because he thinks they will scorch him. That ended up back-firing on him.

Hopefully he realizes the mistakes he made in not bringing pressure on those QB's, and changes his philosophy on playing elite quarterbacks.
UserPostedImage
TengoJuego
13 years ago

Execution and fundamentals > fancy schemes.

"IronMan" wrote:

Using fundamentals to execute those fancy schemes=WIN! lol
rabidgopher04
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Except Brett Favre.

"rabidgopher04" wrote:

Only a Favre lover would omit Ben Roethlisberger and Kurt Warner in a statement like that. :)

"go.pack.go." wrote:

I forgot about those games, but the truth is we wouldn't have had to face Warner if we had beat the Vikings because we would have had better seeding in the playoffs.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"rabidgopher04" wrote:

Except Brett Favre.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Only a Favre lover would omit Ben Roethlisberger and Kurt Warner in a statement like that. :)

"rabidgopher04" wrote:

I forgot about those games, but the truth is we wouldn't have had to face Warner if we had beat the Vikings because we would have had better seeding in the playoffs.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

I remember the playoff loss more than any other loss of the season.

Truth being spoken, we could have still faced the Cardinals if we beat the Vikings just once. It'd have been Warner or Brees. Which one would you rather have went against? lol
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.