Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2010/07/02/1/ 

As the Green Bay Packers look at their return game for 2010, they see both promise and uncertainty, and that goes for both punt and kickoff returns.

On punt returns, it starts with Will Blackmon. There's plenty of promise there, as Blackmon returned three punts for touchdowns during the 2007-08 seasons, but no one can be certain how well he'll come back from the knee injury that ended his 2009 campaign after just four games.

"We're talking about a guy that's coming off major knee surgery, but we also are talking about a guy that's had very good production for us as a returner," special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum said. "Taking that he's healthy, we'll move forward, and I expect him to be a real factor there."

All reports throughout the spring indicated that Blackmon would be ready for the start of training camp. With Blackmon out last year, receiver Jordy Nelson averaged just 5.3 yards on 17 punt returns. Cornerback Tramon Williams nearly doubled that average at 10.4, with the season's longest return of 45 yards, but he only got 13 returns before he was removed from the duty and starting on defense in place of an injured Al Harris.

Overall, the Packers' 6.9-yard average on punt returns ranked just 23rd in the league in 2009. More important, that average was more than 3 yards less than the opponents' average of 10.1. When Blackmon was healthy for all of 2008, he averaged 11.1, good for fourth in the NFC and ninth in the league, while the opponents averaged just 7.5.

The simplest move would be for Blackmon to be back to his old self, helping give the Packers the edge again on punt returns. But until he's back on the field performing in games, any expectations are mere projections.

"Will is a very good punt returner, very shifty," Slocum said. "We'll see once he gets back and he gets totally turned loose if he can make the jump cuts that he's done in the past, which really gave him an advantage returning the ball."

While Blackmon was sitting out organized team activities (OTAs) and the June mini-camp, the Packers looked at a handful of other candidates. Nelson took his share of reps. But Williams was unsigned until the final few days of the offseason program, and it isn't clear how viable an option he is anyway with Harris' return date unknown.

Slocum also tried out a couple of rookie prospects in cornerback Sam Shields and running back Quinn Porter. Shields has electrifying speed but struggled to catch the ball consistently, which will have to change when the pads come on during training camp. Porter was a little smoother catching the ball but, like Shields, has an uphill battle just to land a roster spot.

Slocum noted that it wasn't easy for the young returners in the spring to be going back and forth between catching punts from the right-footed Tim Masthay and the left-footed Chris Bryan, but it's better for everyone if they're tested in that fashion now.

"(Shields) is a dynamic athlete," Slocum said. "He's got difference-making speed, and if you can get the ball in his hand and get him a seam, you have a chance to score touchdowns.

"I think Quinn Porter does a great job of getting lateral and then getting vertical quickly.

"We need to see more consistency in both of them fielding the ball, and a lot of times that's a process you have to go through. We've got a full training camp to go, a bunch of reps for them to continue to get better."

The Packers also would like to improve on kickoff returns, where they ranked 19th a year ago. Nelson was their best option, averaging 25.4 yards on 25 returns, but the team had just one return longer than 28 yards during a three-game midseason stretch that Nelson missed with a knee injury. Nelson also fumbled two kickoff returns down the stretch last season, one on Thanksgiving in Detroit and again in the playoffs in Arizona, though the Packers recovered the latter one.

Blackmon will get a long look for this job as well, but he hasn't been as explosive on kickoffs as he has on punts when healthy. Williams and running back Brandon Jackson also have experience here, while Porter has an intriguing track record, with two 90-plus-yard returns for scores in his final season at Stillman College.

"Each year is a new year," Slocum said. "We've got a number of guys that have ability and have excellent speed. As we go through this process and look at all of them, we'll give them opportunities in those (preseason) ballgames."

Much has been made of the fact that the Packers haven't run a kickoff back for a touchdown since 2000. Blackmon and Nelson have each returned a kickoff all the way over the past two seasons, but both returns were called back by penalties.

It would be nice to end that drought, but more important to Slocum is simply getting decent field position for the offense on a consistent basis. Last year, the Packers' average field position following a kickoff was the 27.3-yard line, ranking a respectable ninth in the league and nearly a full yard better than the league average (26.4).

At a minimum that ranking needs to be maintained, if not enhanced, whether the return unit breaks any long ones or not.

"With the explosiveness of our offense, if we can get the ball outside the 20 or better yet at the 30-yard line, our scoring probability goes way up," Slocum said. "So that's the No. 1 goal, and if we're consistent in getting the ball north and south, then big plays come."

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
I like Blackmon back there but as the article said, the biggest worry is if he lost a step after the injury. If not, he's a pretty dang good returner.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
I didn't expect Sheilds to be a returner. They moved him from receiver to CB in college for a reason. That is probably it. He also said he would do what ever the team wanted him to do but if were all the same to him he would rather be a gunner.

I think RB James Starks also has some college experience as a return guy. He has enough speed for a 97 yard run for a TD, he may do well in returns. He is a natural with the ball in his hands.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I'd like to see someone other than Blackmon returning kicks and punts. Why? Because I'm hoping Blackmon turns it on this year as a DB. How's that for a long shot pipe dream? lol
UserPostedImage
tonyagnese
13 years ago
Was anyone else surprised that we didn't get a new ST coach?
blank
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
I wasn't. They had a lot of other impediments to the ST rank. Injuries, Struggling O and D. If they had a healthy year where the were not scrambling to patch up the O and install the 3-4, then they should have. If they have better luck with injuries and the O and D are not struggling, they better have a decent showing on ST or they won't have any excuses.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
beast
13 years ago
I'm not surprised they stuck with the same ST coach... it was his first year and a lot of things went wrong that were out of his hands... lots of injuries, lots of ST having to play more offense and defense... some guys like Finley didn't play much ST while Lee was the starter and didn't ether (which Lee is said to going to play a lot more STs now that he's not the starter)... Williams, Matthews and Jones were lost of STs because they had to step up as starters on defense.... the punter was pretty bad, and so were the gunners (which CB Bell came in late in the season and looked like the best gunner on the team)... all the returners were ether starting on O or D or injured at points of the season... the "special team ace" (Jarrett Bush) just plain sucked at times and got tons of penalties...

It got so bad that Bishop showed as the best STer when Speed Kills on ST and Bishop doesn't have speed but yet still got voted as caption (which he earn as he stay healthy and tried very hard).
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
This has been a repeating story for too many years. Every time they give us hope it will be cured. I'm just not going to worry about it and hopefully they will surprise me.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (4h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (20h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (20h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (20h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (21h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.