Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Woodson-Taking-Nothing-For-Granted/23bd0d9c-1acb-4685-a403-3db2b9c5710c 

[img_r]http://www.packers.com/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/article_images/2010/06-june/062210-woodson-taking-nothing-for-granted.jpg[/img_r]As cornerback Charles Woodson enters his 13th season in the NFL still chasing that elusive championship, his perspective is worth listening to.

Having been a member of five playoff teams during his 12 combined years in Oakland and Green Bay, Woodson knows as well as anyone that there are no guarantees in this league.

He was a member of the Raiders' 2002 Super Bowl team that failed to make the playoffs the following season. And he was on the Packers' 2007 team that reached the NFC Championship Game and didn't go to the postseason the next year.

So when Woodson reflects on the 2009 Packers' squad that was as hot as any team in the NFC in the second half of last season -- only to fall agonizingly short in overtime in the Wild Card playoff in Arizona -- and on the foundation that experience can lay for another potential playoff run in 2010, he's not going to believe everything will just magically fall into place.

It's going to take more than that, and he will deliver that message in one way or another as he prepares for the upcoming season.

"We just have to stay hungry," Woodson said following the final mini-camp practice on Tuesday. "I think that's the main thing for us. Yeah, we look good on paper right now. We had a good season last year. But if guys don't stay hungry and take whatever lessons we can take from last year and build on this year, it doesn't mean a thing. So we all have to stay hungry on this team."

Woodson certainly is. With a 5-week break beginning Wednesday before the start of training camp at the end of July, Woodson isn't about to rest. Granted, he's had more rest through the OTAs, practicing off and on, than many of the players who have been on the field multiple days per week for five of the last six weeks.

But he plans to be "hitting it hard" during the time off to get his body ready for another demanding season. He said he feels better physically at this time than he did last year, when he was about to embark on winning the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year award, but that doesn't mean he's going to ease up at all in his training over the next month.

"I go out there, I work every day, and that will be my example to the rest of the guys," Woodson said. "Yeah, this may be 13 (years) coming up for me, but I'm going to approach it like it's my first, and go out there and try to get a championship. That's the way I approach it."

Woodson changed up his training routine a bit this past offseason, doing some boxing workouts in Florida with teammate Nick Collins earlier in the spring. He said the boxing work, which didn't include any actual sparring, really helped with his shoulders, one of which was ailing a bit toward the end of last season. In this type of shape, at age 34, he feels he could play several more seasons yet.

But his energy for now is directed at the season in front of him, and Woodson has made no secret of his overwhelming desire to win a Super Bowl ring. That would mean more to him than his six Pro Bowl selections, last year's elite award, and his Heisman Trophy from Michigan all put together.

He sees no reason this Green Bay team can't achieve it, and that's perhaps what drives him the most.

Last year he felt he was born to play in defensive coordinator Dom Capers' 3-4 scheme, which moves Woodson around as a cornerback, slot defender, safety or blitzer on any given down. He posted a league-high nine interceptions (including three returned for TDs), two sacks and four forced fumbles as the most dynamic playmaker on the league's most turnover-prolific defense (40 total takeaways).

The defensive struggles in shootout losses to Pittsburgh and Arizona in the playoffs were frustrating, to be sure. But to Woodson they only highlighted the flaws that must be the focus this year as the Packers, No. 2 in the league in total yards allowed and No. 1 against the run a year ago, try to grow from a strong defense into a championship-caliber one.

"You've got to get better," Woodson said, acknowledging it's up to the players to earn Capers' trust to expand the playbook in the second year of his defense.

"If we don't get better then something's wrong. We keep saying we've been in this system for a year now. We've taken our bumps and bruises in this system, learned a lot about the guys that we have in this locker room. We understand where we are as a team and what we have. So this year, it makes no sense for us not to get better."

It's also imperative that the Packers learn from what happened in the playoffs against the Cardinals, when the team, as Head Coach Mike McCarthy has said, "lost its identity." Many of the components that had come together to allow the Packers to make their playoff push a year ago - an offense that protects the ball and a defense that takes it away, stuffs the run and stifles the opposition - abandoned the team when it mattered most.

"We were playing great," Woodson said. "I think we just missed an opportunity down there in Arizona. That's just something we have to build on. We have to think about that game, think about our approach to that game, think about what happened during that game, and then now coming into this season say, 'That can't happen again.'"

What needs to happen again is for the Packers to put themselves in position to take another shot. Woodson has been there before, but just because everything appears to be trending a certain direction doesn't make it so.

To Woodson, understanding that may be the most important lesson of all.

"That's all up to us," he said. "It's up to the guys in the locker room to continue to have that attitude, continue to be hungry, continue to care about winning. As long as we have that, we'll have a chance."

UserPostedImage
RajiRoar
13 years ago
Woodson and Driver reeeally deserve rings.

just a thought... could you imagine the media if Rodgers won the superbowl?

I would laugh at a very specific hillbilly

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I wouldn't waste my energy laughing at anyone. I'd embrace the moment to its fullest and appreciate it. Not every team's fanbase can celebrate a Super Bowl victory, just ask any Vikings fan.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dhazer (22m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.