Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Updated: July 29, 2010, 7:29 PM ET
Goodell visits Packers' shareholders

Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- As the only NFL team required to disclose its financial information to the public, the Green Bay Packers have become Exhibit A amid rising tensions between owners and players over a new collective bargaining agreement.

Just don't expect other teams to open up their books in an attempt to make the owners' case.

Visiting the Packers' annual shareholder meeting on Thursday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told reporters that the players union already has enough financial information to understand why owners think the current system doesn't work.

"Somebody reminded me recently that there are seven pages in our collective bargaining agreement that are dedicated just to audit rights," Goodell said. "They have a tremendous amount of information to be able to make the decisions they need about what we're going to do to create a new system that works for everybody."

Packers shareholders -- fans who own a tiny stake in the team, although it doesn't pay dividends or appreciate in value -- certainly were happy with the information they got from Goodell on Thursday.

While other sports commissioners often get booed when they go out in public, Goodell was met with warm applause as he walked toward a stage set up on the field.

Immediately after the team's financial presentation to about 8,300 shareholders seated in Lambeau Field, Goodell stayed on stage to answer presubmitted questions from fans. One asked if she could have a hug, just like players get at the NFL draft. Goodell said yes, so Beth Lohr of De Pere, Wis., went on stage and embraced the commissioner.

In all, Goodell appeared to enjoy his trip.

Speaking at an NFL Network fan forum inside the Lambeau Field atrium Thursday afternoon, he remarked to a fan wearing a split half-Vikings, half-Packers No. 4 jersey, "You're really mixed up, aren't you?" He also led fans in a chant of "go Pack go," then joked that it might get him fired.

But if the players and owners don't get a new collective bargaining agreement done, there might not be NFL football at Lambeau -- or anywhere else -- in 2011.

"Listen, we're so far away from that," Goodell said. "We have an entire season of football, and a lot of negotiations. We have a lot of work to do, but a long time to get it done. And I think there's a desire on everybody's part."

There are serious disagreements, too.

The Packers say this year's numbers underscore owners' concerns about the league's existing agreement. According to team president and CEO Mark Murphy, player costs have risen twice as fast as revenue gains over the past four years.

The Packers posted an operating profit of approximately $9.8 million in the fiscal year that ended March 31, down from $20.1 million the previous year. Taking into account investment losses that were less severe, the team reported net income of approximately $5.2 million, up from $4 million.

Local revenues are leveling off -- a problem Murphy acknowledges the team must work to resolve itself, potentially by an expansion of Lambeau and developing businesses nearby.

While other teams aren't opening their books, Murphy and Goodell say they are experiencing similar issues.

"We need to see changes to the system," Murphy said. "I think our financial statement really highlights some of the issues that the Packers and other teams have."

That's not sitting well with the players, who say they don't see a problem with the current system based on the information they have. And they're asking for more.

"It's 1/32nd of the financial information we've requested in response to their demand that we give back $1 billion and increase our risk of injury by playing two additional games," NFLPA president Kevin Mawae said earlier this month, after the Packers released an early overview of their financial report.

Players currently receive a certain percentage of the league's revenue -- but at this point, even that number is in dispute.

The widely cited figure is that players receive approximately 60 percent of total revenue. But the union disputes that number, saying the definition of total revenue doesn't take into account approximately $1 billion in "expense credits" to the league and owners. Taking that money into account, the union says players really receive about 50 percent of all league revenue.

Fans, meanwhile, aren't necessarily taking sides. But shareholders did seem pleased with the issues Goodell spoke about on Thursday.

Goodell reiterated the league's desire for a new rookie salary structure and better benefits for retired players. He wants to see players wear more and better padding, saying that the league would work with players to try different pads during training camp.

Goodell also talked up the so-called "enhanced" schedule, which potentially would add two regular season games and take away two preseason games.

Goodell acknowledged that players aren't necessarily thrilled with the idea of two more games, adding that owners could offer to limit offseason workouts, training camp and practices.

"I'm not surprised at all by those reactions," Goodell said of players' objections. "I've spoken to several of those individuals. It's getting people to understand what we're trying to create, how we build a better game, what other things we need to change. And I think we need to make sure the players are informed about that."

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
13 years ago
I just watched the Q&A in the atrium on NFLN.

They (the fans-I always worry about this when a cheesehead goes national, lol) didn't embarass us too terribly much.

I wish the commish had told the kid that was bitchin' about not being able to afford NFLN to "get a fuckin' job and quit yer bitchin".

Seriously, it was a neat thing to see on TV.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (2h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (2h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (3h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (4h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.