Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Hell of a post Zero, well stated.

They Should be showing the championship games on NFLN this weekend or next though and it might be worth checking out again cuz Formo's right, the Vikes had a lot to do with beating themselves in that game.

"dingus" wrote:

Guess I seem to take the whole beating yourself more of an excuse than reason. I'm not saying the Saints were more talented, but when a team forces you to make mistakes, and then capitalize on them, I thought that was the point of being an aggressive defense. Force your opponent to buckle and screw up.

I don't really remember the game too much, so I could be wrong. Maybe the Vikings OL was sacking Brett and the WR switching uniforms in the middle of the routes. 😛 Nah seriously, I just don't buy it.

I can't say I understood it when a fan says we beat ourselves, hell, even I've said it in the past, but really, what does that mean? How does a team beat itself?

Certain things I could understand, say missing a 30 some yard FG with limited pressure on the kicker. QB with plenty of time, has an open WR and throws it into coverage and intercepted. Fumbling the ball without anyone touching you. Etc, things of that nature, sure I get that, but I didn't see too many mistakes that weren't attributed to the Saints whipping the shit out of the Vikings in a way the Packers could only dream of doing.

Or is saying your team beat itself a way of saying they choked?

:shrug:
UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago
Despite the many questionable calls (not using them as excuses because they shouldn't have even mattered if the Vikings did their job), the Vikings turned the ball over way too many times. I think 5. But put it on the ground 6 or 7 (my memory keeps telling me 7, but I'm not sure). The most they turned the ball over in any other game was 3. So judging from past recent performances, they beat themselves. They turned the ball over 2 more times than they had in their second most turnover prone game of that year.

The Saints had NOTHING to do with the botched handoff between Favre / AP. There wasn't a Saint close enough to touch either one of those guys. That's just ONE example of how the Vikings beat themselves that game. That was in the red zone too. That's a potential 7 point swing.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
zombieslayer
13 years ago

Despite the many questionable calls (not using them as excuses because they shouldn't have even mattered if the Vikings did their job), the Vikings turned the ball over way too many times. I think 5. But put it on the ground 6 or 7 (my memory keeps telling me 7, but I'm not sure). The most they turned the ball over in any other game was 3. So judging from past recent performances, they beat themselves. They turned the ball over 2 more times than they had in their second most turnover prone game of that year.

The Saints had NOTHING to do with the botched handoff between Favre / AP. There wasn't a Saint close enough to touch either one of those guys. That's just ONE example of how the Vikings beat themselves that game. That was in the red zone too. That's a potential 7 point swing.

"Formo" wrote:

I'm with Formo on this one. The Vikings should have won that game.

Teams can kill themselves. If you don't believe me, watch Wrecks Grossman single-handedly give the Super Bowl to the Colts. The Colts didn't win that game. Wrecks Grossman lost it.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Gravedigga
13 years ago

So the secret to beating Favre is to play really good pass coverage, and win the one on one battles up front? Yeah...a lot easier said than done. The Saints didn't unlock any secrets. They just executed very well.

"IronMan" wrote:

Yea man, the Saints are a pretty good team. They have a bunch of great players and the offense to force the Vikes to stay in predictable pass mode all game long. There might be only 2 or 3 teams with the weapons to be able to execute that gameplan and even still, the Vikings blew it big time in that game. That plus all the fumbles shooting themselves in the foot. Seriously, you're playing a dominant team like the Saints and you fumble the ball 6 times!!! 6 freaking fumbles and one interception going into that last drive!!! How they were even in that game at all is amazing.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Gravedigga
13 years ago

The thing that bugs the hell out of me is how they claim that the Saint FINALLY found the blueprint to beating the Vikings.. When the fact of the matter is.. The FACT of the matter is that the VIKINGS beat the Vikings. NOT the Saints. The Saints took great advantage of the eggs the Vikings laid.

The teams that, IMO, found the blueprint to beating the Vikings were the Cardinals and the Panthers.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

So the secret to beating Favre is to play really good pass coverage, and win the one on one battles up front? Yeah...a lot easier said than done. The Saints didn't unlock any secrets. They just executed very well.

"Formo" wrote:

Yes, the point of most defense is to get to the QB and disrupt his rhythm. No one's saying the Saints unlocked any trade secrets or anything of that nature. I'm saying they sacrificed men deep for men up front to apply pressure. They took a risk in hoping they could get to Favre before he released the ball to an open receiver.

I just think more teams will use an extra backer or lineman to apply pressure on Brett. I think also, he's going to scorch many teams on that with short dump offs. I think it'll be successful a game or two, but you can't stop Brett with one flavor, he'll find a way to beat you.

Don't mention Capers, he's Favre's bitch, there's no denying it.

I don't remember the Saints/Vikings game fully, but I didn't get the impression the Vikings were beating themselves more than the Saints were beating them. The Saints were forcing the Vikings into making mistakes, which is what good teams do. You rattle their cage and pounce on the miscues.

I don't think there's really a blueprint to beating Brett. If you throw heavy blitz, he'll kill you with short passes. You use coverage, be it zone or bump, he'll find away to zip the ball in there.

If there's a "blueprint" to beating Brett, I think it's getting his team down by a score or two, and hit him hard over and over again to wear him down into getting frustrated and forcing passes.

"IronMan" wrote:

Yea, it's not like finally after 18 or so seasons, the NFL finally found the blueprint to beating Brett. It's always been the same. Knock him on his ass and force him to come from behind. Thats why the Cowboys would beat him every time in early 90's. It's easy to say it on paper but not so easy to execute it unless you have a very talented and dynamic defense that's built around pressing the QB and you can get a lead on him.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
dingus
13 years ago

Hell of a post Zero, well stated.

They Should be showing the championship games on NFLN this weekend or next though and it might be worth checking out again cuz Formo's right, the Vikes had a lot to do with beating themselves in that game.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Guess I seem to take the whole beating yourself more of an excuse than reason. I'm not saying the Saints were more talented, but when a team forces you to make mistakes, and then capitalize on them, I thought that was the point of being an aggressive defense. Force your opponent to buckle and screw up.

I don't really remember the game too much, so I could be wrong. Maybe the Vikings OL was sacking Brett and the WR switching uniforms in the middle of the routes. 😛 Nah seriously, I just don't buy it.

I can't say I understood it when a fan says we beat ourselves, hell, even I've said it in the past, but really, what does that mean? How does a team beat itself?

Certain things I could understand, say missing a 30 some yard FG with limited pressure on the kicker. QB with plenty of time, has an open WR and throws it into coverage and intercepted. Fumbling the ball without anyone touching you. Etc, things of that nature, sure I get that, but I didn't see too many mistakes that weren't attributed to the Saints whipping the shit out of the Vikings in a way the Packers could only dream of doing.

Or is saying your team beat itself a way of saying they choked?

:shrug:

"dingus" wrote:

Don't get me wrong, the Saints played well and yes, I suppose beating themselves could be replaced with choked.

The 12 man penalty was a serious choke, who's fault was it? Favre for not staying out of the huddle and counting or the coaching staff for lack of awareness?

I'd say the pick by Porter was a huge choke by #4, but we as Packer fans have grown accustomed to that type of play, Favres biggest weakness was not trusting his teammates when the game was on the line. Run a few yards and slide, give Longwell the chance to make a 52 yarder. Pretty simple.

All that being said, I agree that the Saints did not unlock the secret to beating Favre. They played a tough, physical game and wound up with more points at the end. (The Vikings just helped em a bit!)
blank
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
I could believe the Vikings gave away that game if it was a fluke for NO to get a pile of TOs. But it wasn't a fluke, they made their living off turnovers all year. If you watch the highlights of the game, every one of the turnovers except the bad exchange and the final int were forced. The exchange may have been forced a little by the penetration altering APs path. I didn't see it from a decent angle.

Favre also had a crappy but gutsy game. A 70 rating is bad for an all star. 61% completions, 2 ints and a fumble. Fairly close to his typical post season loss for the last 12 years.

AP didn't lose any fumbles unless you hang the exchange on him, then he gets one. Still less than Favre's 2 ints.

The thing NO did differently was not focusing on AP to the point of letting Favre have his way. Everything was contested. They didn't go for his fakes, didn't try and jump up and knock down a pass and didn't go for the ball. Just drive through him. AP got got his yards but for the most part was contained and frustrated.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Formo
13 years ago

I could believe the Vikings gave away that game if it was a fluke for NO to get a pile of TOs. But it wasn't a fluke, they made their living off turnovers all year. If you watch the highlights of the game, every one of the turnovers except the bad exchange and the final int were forced. The exchange may have been forced a little by the penetration altering APs path. I didn't see it from a decent angle.

Favre also had a crappy but gutsy game. A 70 rating is bad for an all star. 61% completions, 2 ints and a fumble. Fairly close to his typical post season loss for the last 12 years.

AP didn't lose any fumbles unless you hang the exchange on him, then he gets one. Still less than Favre's 2 ints.

The thing NO did differently was not focusing on AP to the point of letting Favre have his way. Everything was contested. They didn't go for his fakes, didn't try and jump up and knock down a pass and didn't go for the ball. Just drive through him. AP got got his yards but for the most part was contained and frustrated.

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

AP lost 2 fumbles if I remember correctly. Also, personally, I feel they should have given him the rock more, despite the turnovers.. He was cutting through that defense like a hot knife through butter.

Yes, the Saints made a living last season by causing turnovers, but the Vikings still never turned the ball over more than 3 times ALL season long. and to have 5 in a game is bad.. even against an opportunistic defense.

Pop quiz: Which of these quarterbacks proved (or has proven) to be the toughest to intercept?

a) Johnny Unitas

b) Roger Staubach

c) Bart Starr

d) Bob Griese

e) Boomer Esiason

f) Brett Favre

HINT:

t's not a) through e)

Int % per pass attempt:
Johnny Unitas: 4.9% (5,186 attempts, 253 INTs)
Roger Staubach: 3.7% (2,958 attempts, 109 INTs)
Bart Starr: 4.4% (3,149 attempts, 138 INTs)
Bob Griese: 5.0% (3,429 attempts, 172 INTs)
Boomer Esiason: 3.5% (5,205 attempts, 184 INTs)
Brett Favre: 3.2% (9,811 attempts, 317 INTs)

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
13 years ago
That list is not selective, at all.

Unitas and Starr played in an era where you could pretty much club receivers to the ground without getting a flag.

Griese played in that same NFL for a short while and he might just be the worst played to enter the HoF.

I hardly think of Esiason as elite. I'd even take Ken Anderson over him.

Staubach played in a different time, as well, but at least he got the same level of publicity and love as Favre did and he was one hell of a player in his time.
Formo
13 years ago
The players picked were the ones I saw in an article. Apparently the only reason Boomer was added because he has been known to be almost anti-Favre when it comes to his INT stats.

You can look at a handful of other Pro Bowl / HoF QBs...

Troy Aikmen: 3% (4,715 attempts, 141 INTs)
Terry Bradshaw: 5.4% (3,901 attempts, 210 INTs)
John Elway: 3.1% (7,250 attempts, 226 INTs)
Dan Marino: 3% (8,358 attempts, 252 INTs)
Joe Montana: 2.6% (5,391 attempts, 139 INTs)**
Warren Moon: 3.4% (6,823 attempts, 233 INTs)
Steve Young: 2.6% (4,149 attempts, 107 INTs)

So really, in comparison to the greatest of the greats.. Favre still is in their league. Just get the average of those 7 QB's INT % and you get... -=drum roll=- 3.3% Which actually surprises me and should surprise some of you, too. I would have thought his % was WAY higher. Now, the question remains.. was last year lack of INTs a mirage or prove that he's one of the greatest within the right system?

**: My personal all time favorite QB
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.