Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Training-Camp-Report-Bishop-Making-Push-Once-Again/11692954-8631-4815-bd96-605dda8e269c 

Linebacker Desmond Bishop admitted that fielding questions about his strong play during the preseason has become all too familiar the past few years, and once again he is hoping that translates into an increased role on defense once the regular season starts.

[img_r]http://www.packers.com/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/article_images/2010/07-july/100801bishop210.jpg[/img_r]Bishop has led the team in tackles during the preseason in two of his three years with the Packers, and he has picked up where he left off from that in the first two days of camp. In the opening practice on Saturday, Bishop delivered the hit of the day when he leveled rookie tight end Andrew Quarless on a short pass over the middle. On Sunday, Bishop picked off a sideline pass from quarterback Matt Flynn intended for wide receiver Donald Driver.

I think he is having another good camp, Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. I think he is even really positioning himself to take his game to the next level. We have excellent depth. We have four very good inside linebackers. It clearly was part of our discussions as a defensive staff of making sure we are able to get those guys more involved.

The challenge is you can only play 11 players at once, but we feel very good about that whole group and Bishop is off to another excellent start of training camp. Very instinctive, tough, hard-nosed football player. I love the way he plays.

Bishop has found his niche as a key special teams contributor with Green Bay, leading the team with a career-high 22 tackles in 09 after making 15 stops the previous season. He saw more time on defense in 2008 because of injuries to Nick Barnett and Brandon Chillar, a career-best 133 snaps, but that number was nearly cut in half last season (67 defensive snaps) as Barnett, Chillar and Hawk handled the workload on the inside.

The majority of his defensive snaps last season came as the fifth linebacker in defensive coordinator Dom Capers Psycho package, and Bishop is hopeful that his continued production will allow him to see more time in a deep inside-linebacker group.

Right now I am just a core special teams guy, and special teams is a big part of the team, Bishop said. If that is how I have to contribute, I want to contribute as much as possible. Of course I want to play defense, but special teams is my calling right now.

They just tell me to keep going. The coaches are gaining confidence, gaining trust in me, so I have got to just keep going. Hopefully they put in more packages and try to get me in there somehow.

Standing out
[ul]Camp is only two days old, but rookie cornerback Sam Shields has been one of Green Bays newcomers who has stood out with some impressive plays.

Undrafted out of the University of Miami, the speedy Shields figured to factor into the competition for both the punt and kick return spots, but has also flashed at cornerback.

On Saturday, Shields jumped in front of rookie wideout Chastin West to pick off a Matt Flynn pass that would have gone for a score, and also made some pass breakups in one-on-one drills.

I think he is going to be able to play for us, cornerback Charles Woodson said. He is making some plays. He definitely runs well. The test for him will be the playbook. There is a lot. Well have 50 plays in by (Sunday night). Once he gets comfortable just being out there and knowing checks and that sort of thing, I think hell be pretty good for us.

Shields played wide receiver for his first three seasons at Miami before switching to the other side of the ball for his final year. He posted an 84-yard kick return vs. Wisconsin in the Champs Sports Bowl in 2009 that set up a touchdown, and was named U of Ms Special Teams Player of the Year as a junior.

With the depth at cornerback, Shields knows that contributing on special teams will be a must if he hopes to stick on the final roster, and he had some struggles during OTAs fielding the ball as a returner.

Ive just got to keep focusing on catching the ball in practice, showing the coaches that I can field the ball, judging the ball, and things like that, Shields said.[/ul]

Fantasy land
[ul]Aaron Rodgers became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw for more than 4,000 yards in each of his first two seasons as a starter, and that production has garnered him some attention from fans that play fantasy football.

Rodgers, who recently appeared on the cover of ESPN The Magazines fantasy football preview, said that he receives more comments from fans on the popular activity than any other subject.

Its some sort of fantasy remark like, Hey, thanks for the money you won me, Rodgers said. Or, Thanks for the points. Or, I should have drafted you' or 'I shouldnt have drafted you as high as I drafted you.' Or, I needed more points against the Bears last year.'

Any number of comments like that, and it always makes me chuckle.

In addition to his 30 passing touchdowns in 09, Rodgers led all NFL quarterbacks with five rushing touchdowns, the most by a Packers quarterback since Don Majkowski posted the same number in 1989.

I think my rushing touchdowns, people tell me, is what kind of puts me over the top as far as gathering points, Rodgers said.[/ul]

Injury/participation update
[ul]Starting tackles Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher were given the morning practice off but were back on the field for the night session. With the veterans getting some rest, rookie Bryan Bulaga worked with the first group at left tackle, and Breno Giacomini and T.J. Lang each took reps with the No. 1 line at right tackle in the first practice of the day.

Four players who missed time during the offseason due to injuries, Barnett (knee), wide receiver Brett Swain (knee), defensive end Ronald Talley (knee) and safety Derrick Martin (ankle), were on the one-a-day schedule and only practiced at night. Safety Will Blackmon (knee) sat out the night session as he is also on the one-a-day schedule.

Linebacker Brad Jones (bruised back) was sidelined for both practices after dropping out of Saturday's practice early. McCarthy said Jones is day-to-day. Veteran Brady Poppinga worked with the No. 1 defense in place of Jones at left outside linebacker.

The three players on the physically unable to perform list, safety Atari Bigby (ankle), cornerback Al Harris (knee) and running back James Starks (hamstring), continued to sit out.[/ul]

UserPostedImage
tromadz
13 years ago
Depth is an amazing thing.
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
I liked what I read about Bishop.

But I hope we don't use Psycho again this season. I think it was the Pittsburgh game where it was used too much, and never worked.
This is a placeholder
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Hoping Blackmon is 100% by the start of the season. We could use some good returns.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Tezzy
13 years ago

But I hope we don't use Psycho again this season. I think it was the Pittsburgh game where it was used too much, and never worked.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

This is why the Jolly suspension hurts. I believe there were times last season where the hand was forced into using the Psycho package more because the Dline was nicked up and short personnel. Need that DLine depth, otherwise we'll use our best players on the field and that means Psycho.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Packers_Finland
13 years ago

"Tezzy" wrote:

This is why the Jolly suspension hurts. I believe there were times last season where the hand was forced into using the Psycho package more because the Dline was nicked up and short personnel. Need that DLine depth, otherwise we'll use our best players on the field and that means Psycho.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

I like the idea of Bishop in the rotation though. Base package would have Hawk and Barnett. Passing downs, you'd have Chillar replacing Hawk, and short yardage downs would have Bishop replacing Barnett.
This is a placeholder
FloridaPacker88
13 years ago

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

"Tezzy" wrote:

I like the idea of Bishop in the rotation though. Base package would have Hawk and Barnett. Passing downs, you'd have Chillar replacing Hawk, and short yardage downs would have Bishop replacing Barnett.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

I agree with the idea of this rotation, I think the majority of our Linebackers are very solid quality backers all with starting potential so if we can find ways to get them all involved in the game some how why not?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (26m) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (27m) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (47m) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (1h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (17h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.