dhazer
13 years ago
anyone think ESPN is just looking for some hot story? Hell on sportscenter they couldn't give any proof of Brett retiring. The head coach never heard it and Mr Ed says he hasn't heard anything and afterall Brett told him first about the surgery.

He will be back. But at times you have to feel sorry for the guy. He gets ridiculed for talking and then when he don't say anything they nail him that way. He is in a no win situation.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
13 years ago
It does make for a fun day.

We get (yet another) Brett Favre "tribute day", and it's on the Vikes fans "nickel"- so-to-speak---

They get to (most of 'em) freak out about it, speculate on what's going on, bitch, moan and whine---

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

Brent will be a Viking this year, imo--

Hopefully Chilly and co. have to further kiss his ass in order for him to play, as I like that aspect, but I am not in the camp of Packer fans that want him gone in order to increase our chances to take the NFC North, etc.

I want to kick the Vikings asses with Brett Favre as their quarterback.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Brett Favre doesn't deserve our trust 
August, 3, 2010

By Kevin Seifert

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- You have my permission to be skeptical of Brett Favre's apparent intention to retire rather than play this season for the Minnesota Vikings. I know I am.

Favre deserves nothing but our skepticism, especially after announcing his retirement in March 2008. And July 2009. And, privately, several more times in between. Someday, it will be for real. But the only way we'll know that is if the season comes and goes without Favre in uniform. We're six months from that eventuality.

It's true, there might be more going on than we know. But this roller coaster is turning into a joke. I'm here at the Detroit Lions' training camp -- amazing, isn't it? -- and the first five Lions people I talked to all expressed the same reaction that you and I have.

As in, let's just wait a minute and see whether this really plays out the way it's being suggested it might.

Remember, Favre began texting Vikings players and coaches in July 2009 with the news that he would retire. He formally told coach Brad Childress the same thing on the eve of training camp, and within days he was texting Vikings players and asking them how camp was going.

By mid-August, he was on the practice field.

History can't always be our guide, and I'm sure some of you probably think I'm just in denial. Trust me, I'm not. You're not using your capacity as an intelligent human being if you don't have deep, deep reservations about the sincerity of Favre's mindset right now.

His status will be day-to-day until all 32 NFL teams don't want him to play for them. As long as there is one, just one, he remains a possibility to be in uniform.

Of course, we have to consider both sides of this. I'll be back shortly with some thoughts on where the Vikings, and the rest of the NFC North, will be if Favre indeed doesn't play this season. But, please, hold your breath on that one.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I find the timing of this leak highly suspicious. As someone else pointed out, as of today, Brett Favre is officially a holdout. It seems to me that giving word of retirement represents more a way to avoid the financial sanctions that would result from holding out than any serious decision to hang up the cleats.

I will say this, however: If Brett Favre is truly serious this time, he is nothing short of a dick for waiting until the eve of training camp to inform the Vikings of that fact. But then, what else is new?
UserPostedImage
DGB454
13 years ago
He get's ridiculed because he says something to someone then doesn't say anything for a while then says just the opposite later. I'm sure at times he feels like he just can't go through another season but until he is sure he should not say anything about the subject except to his family.(wife and kids)
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

[img_r]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0624/nfl_a_favre_400.jpg[/img_r]FavreWatch: Theories abound 
August, 3, 2010

By Kevin Seifert

OK, the prevailing theory on this blog -- and, apparently, around the NFC North -- is that Brett Favre will put on a Minnesota Vikings jersey at some point this year. All of this is uncharted territory, of course. But as long as we're just talking among friends, let's address some of the early theories making the rounds:

"It's always about money"
Comment: That's what David Canter, a well-known player agent, tweeted earlier today. Canter added: "He knows that Vikes are desperate. No doubt they'll sweeten the pot and he'll break the bank. Uncapped year. 20mil." Indeed, the Vikings wouldn't be an encumbered by any salary cap if they want to give Favre more than the $13 million he is scheduled to receive. We don't have any reason to think Favre simply wants more money, but he has more leverage than any player in the NFL right now. He also has an owner who never shuts off the money spigot when it comes to player salaries. Why not take advantage? Chances of reality: 50 percent.

The ankle is worse than he thought
Comment: When is the last time a quarterback threw with his foot? I just don't buy that as a legitimate reason why Favre wouldn't play this season. It might well be the reason Favre isn't in training camp now, but I can't see it as more than a secondary issue. Chances of reality: 30 percent

He's a drama queen
Comment: It's an interesting thought, especially when you consider the possibility of Favre eventually riding back into town as the savior of a team that struggled through the preseason or started the regular season, say, 1-2. Remember, the Vikings' bye week comes in Week 4. Perfect. Chances of reality: 60 percent.

Yet again I must take issue with this writer's minimizing of an ankle injury. He has clearly never experienced one. There is no way a quarterback could plant and drive off his foot with any power if there were a significant ankle problem.
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago
Yeah, I can't imagine dropping back being pretty easy on a bum ankle. I think it's mostly about that. It may very well be bad now, but if that thing starts to heal next week, Favre will change his tune.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Reportedly, Favre sent texts to teammates saying, "This is it." Why does everyone assume that means he will retire? Those words are entirely ambiguous. One could just as easily interpret to mean, "Here we go -- let's get started!" Perhaps he was letting his teammates know he's about to make an appearance, not that he was calling it quits.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

anyone think ESPN is just looking for some hot story? Hell on sportscenter they couldn't give any proof of Brett retiring. The head coach never heard it and Mr Ed says he hasn't heard anything and afterall Brett told him first about the surgery.

He will be back. But at times you have to feel sorry for the guy. He gets ridiculed for talking and then when he don't say anything they nail him that way. He is in a no win situation.

"dhazer" wrote:

Spoken like a true Favre fan. "It's the media's fault!"

ESPN is Favre's bitch, and everybody knows it. Favre doesn't get ridiculed for talking unless he says something stupid or selfish, and he doesn't get "nailed" for not talking, period. He was getting a free ride from the folks in the media until this story came out. That's what he didn't like. It was the lack of attention.

It's hard to believe that ESPN made this story up out of whole cloth, as you imply. Favre has done stuff that's been a lot sillier than this. I like your use of the word "nailed," though. Favre fans never pass up a chance to use Christ imagery.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago

Reportedly, Favre sent texts to teammates saying, "This is it." Why does everyone assume that means he will retire? Those words are entirely ambiguous. One could just as easily interpret to mean, "Here we go -- let's get started!" Perhaps he was letting his teammates know he's about to make an appearance, not that he was calling it quits.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

So this was all a big misunderstanding! Favre is going to report to camp immediately because he wants to get started right now! Let's see if your theory is right. How much do you want to bet on it?
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.