go.pack.go.
13 years ago
I'm not sure if this is posted yet, but here I will be posting blogs from training camp each day. If I for some reason forget to do it, someone else can feel free to do so.

The big news of the day was a change in the defensive lineup at linebacker. With OLB Brad Jones (bruised back) still out, Brandon Chillar began working with the No. 1 unit on the right side, with Clay Matthews flipping over to the left side. With Chillar then in the base package, Desmond Bishop took the inside LB spot alongside Nick Barnett in the nickel.

Chillar made his presence known right away, intercepted a pass during the screens period when the pass bounced off the running backs pads and up into the air.

Other than Jones, the only other players who didnt suit up for practice were the three on the PUP list S Atari Bigby (ankle), CB Al Harris (knee) and RB James Starks (hamstring). OL Marshall Newhouse and DE Justin Harrell both dropped out of practice. For Newhouse, it was heat-related. After practice, Head Coach Mike McCarthy wasnt asked about Harrell.

During warm-ups, K Mason Crosby made a field goal of nearly 60 yards, which drew a hearty applause from the crowd. Later in two thunder situations (run-on FGs with the clock winding down), Crosby was 1-for-2 from around 40 yards.

The QBs hoop was moved to the middle of the field for the hoop drill. From around 25-30 yards, the QBs had to try to fire a hard, on-the-line throw into the hoop with QB coach Tom Clements standing a few yards in front of it with his hands up. No. 3 QB Graham Harrell managed to get one in, drawing a long cheer from the crowd.

Team (11-on-11) periods were mostly focused on red-zone work. Barnett was an early force, batting down one pass and making a tackle for loss on a running play. Chillar added some pressure on a blitz, but QB Aaron Rodgers beat the blitz once with a quick-hitter over the middle to WR James Jones for a TD. TE Donald Lee also caught a TD pass from QB Matt Flynn.

The offensive guards were doing a lot of rotating, with Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz and Allen Barbre all taking snaps at LG with the No. 1 line.

Rookie LB Alex Joseph had a tackle for loss on a running play. Joseph has flashed with the backup defensive units from time to time.

In 7-on-7, WR Jordy Nelson hauled in a nice deep ball from Rodgers between two defenders down the right sideline.

Practice ended with the 2-minute drill. Starting on its own 40, down by four points with 1:11 left and one timeout, the No. 1 offense didnt get far. Consecutive completions from Rodgers to TE Jermichael Finley and Jones gained 23 yards, but a false start, a drop by Finley and an incomplete pass on fourth down gave the defense the win.

The No. 2 offense got closer but still didnt score. Flynn hit back-to-back throws to WR Charles Dillon, the second an impressive diving catch over the middle, for a total of 20 yards. After a defensive holding penalty gave the offense another first down, Flynn completed passes to WR Brett Swain (5 yards) and WR Chastin West (14 yards) to make it first down on the 11-yard line, and the lone timeout was called with 21 seconds left. Then RB Quinn Porter caught a short pass to get the ball inside the 10, but with time winding down on the final snap, Flynns pass toward the end zone was batted down at the goal line.

Check back with Packers.com later for Coach McCarthys press conference transcript, plus todays feature story and Training Camp Report.

I highlighted some things that I thought were interesting / good.
UserPostedImage
DGB454
13 years ago
Good stuff. Love the blogs. Thanks
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
I like the blogs also. They have some good info, especially about players you don't get to read about in the paper much of the time.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
go.pack.go.
13 years ago

Left guard Daryn Colledge sat out due to a hyperextended elbow, so Jason Spitz worked with the No. 1 line in his place. Head Coach Mike McCarthy didnt give a timetable for his return, but said Colledge would benefit from the day off Wednesday.

Wide receiver Greg Jennings was not at practice because he had to attend to a personal matter.

Continuing to sit out were linebacker Brad Jones (knee), guard/tackle Marshall Newhouse (concussion) and wide receiver Jeff Moturi (knee). McCarthy said Moturi sprained his knee and is expected to miss a couple of weeks.

Safety Will Blackmon and linebacker Nick Barnett, both on a one-a-day schedule thus far as they recover from knee injuries, sat out the night session. Safety Derrick Martin and defensive end Ronald Talley, also returning from injuries, both returned to the field after taking the morning off.

Defensive end Justin Harrell was held out of practice by the team doctor due to the heat-related issues that forced him to drop out early from Mondays practice. McCarthy said Harrell wanted to practice, and is expected to be back on the field on Thursday when the team resumes on-field work.

The players on PUP, cornerback Al Harris (knee), safety Atari Bigby (ankle) and running back James Starks (hamstring) remained sideline. McCarthy said he expected to hear the results of the tests done on Bigbys injured ankle on Wednesday morning.

Much like last years night practice before the players first day off, Tuesday nights practice was perhaps the most spirited of camp thus far. The biggest hit of the night came when tight end Jermichael Finley put a huge block on linebacker Cyril Obiozor near the sideline on a Charles Dillon reception.

There were a couple of instances where extracurricular activity continued on after the play, including a post-play scrum between rookie tackle Bryan Bulaga and defensive end Jarius Wynn. McCarthy called the team in to calm things down, and after that practice went on without any issues.

Mason Crosby connected on all six of his kicks, from distances between 28 and 45 yards, during a field goal period with punter Tim Masthay doing the holding. Crosby later went 1-for-2 from 39 yards out in a two-minute period.

Aaron Rodgers connected with wide receiver Jordy Nelson on a nice pass down the seam during team (11-on-11) work with safety Morgan Burnett covering. Rodgers also hooked up in a 7-on-7 drill with wide receiver Donald Driver, who made a nice diving grab.

Former General Manager Ron Wolf was on the field to watch practice.

There is no practice on Wednesday before the team returns for two sessions on Thursday.

UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
13 years ago
Thanks for the blog posts. No word on Grant. I wonder if that is good or bad.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Greg C.
13 years ago

Mason Crosby connected on all six of his kicks, from distances between 28 and 45 yards, during a field goal period with punter Tim Masthay doing the holding. Crosby later went 1-for-2 from 39 yards out in a two-minute period.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

What the writer does not mention is that Crosby missed the first 39-yarder in the two-minute drill, but then made the kick when allowed a do-over with no rush by the defense. So really he was 0 for 1 when it counted most.
blank
Mckennj3
13 years ago
Love the updates, from all the way over here on the east coast it's really the only specifics I can get, thanks again.
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
go.pack.go.
13 years ago

Love the updates, from all the way over here on the east coast it's really the only specifics I can get, thanks again.

"Mckennj3" wrote:

Haha, I'm on the east coast too (Virginia). I'm just working with everything that I've got. I visit this website many times a day and I also visit Packers.com every time I'm on the computer.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (1h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (4h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (5h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (15h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (22h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (23h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.