go.pack.go.
13 years ago

Count Fox NFL Sundays Curt Menefee among those in the national media looking for potentially big things from the Green Bay Packers in 2010.

Menefee, the studio host of the Fox networks popular pre-game show, was in Green Bay this week kicking off his annual training camp tour that takes him through more than half of the leagues cities. On Wednesday, Menefee was the guest speaker in the Packers team meeting, giving players his perspective on the current media landscape and answering some of their questions.

In a brief chat afterward with Packers.com, Menefee said without question he sees the Packers among the top contenders in the NFC, along with the Cowboys, Saints and Vikings. He also noted that hes already on record with an early Super Bowl prediction that pits Green Bay and Baltimore in the leagues title game.

This will maybe tell you that what I say should be taken with a grain of salt, but I thought Green Bay was the best team last year, certainly the second half of last year, Menefee said. And Ive seen nothing that changes my mind this year, because I think this team is better than it was last year. Theyre mature. Aaron Rodgers has now started in a playoff game. He didnt win it, but he started a game and he played well. Hes gone through another season as the starter. Guys like Jermichael Finley have matured as players.

Year after year, for four straight years, everyone has talked about Green Bay being the youngest team in the league. Now, theyre still a young team but theyre an experienced team, and I think theres a difference. I think that experience should begin to come to the forefront, and to me I see no reason not to believe theyre just as good as anybody else in this league.

Menefees high regard for the Packers stems from watching the team grow significantly last year, fixing the pass-protection problems and overcoming significant injuries on defense in the second half of the season to go 7-1 after a 4-4 start.

He felt those injuries, particularly the one to starting cornerback Al Harris, eventually caught up to the team when it couldnt win the playoff shootout with Arizona. But barring any major health problems, the Packers in Menefees eyes are poised to take the next step, provided they dont put themselves through another roller-coaster type of season.

Its the same thing it takes for everybody its consistency, Menefee said. You go and lose that game to Tampa (in Week 9 last year), youre 4-4, theres disarray, but then they turned things around, and they played like they should have played all season long.

That playoff game, those things happen sometimes. You get in shootouts. I dont think there are many 14-13 games in the NFL anymore, especially come playoff time. They may not be 51-45, but youve got to be able to score, and I think this team can score with anybody.

I think if this team plays consistently as well as it can, then theres no reason it shouldnt win 12 or 13 regular-season games, which gives you more than likely the No. 1 seed, which means everybody has to come through Green Bay, and all of a sudden, youre the team to beat.

Menefee knows hes not alone in setting lofty expectations for the Packers this year, and hes not alone in feeling the Packers will be one of the more entertaining teams to watch, just like they were last year in the playoffs.

Menefee said the Fox studio in Los Angeles got pretty raucous as the cast and crew watched the back-and-forth slugfest between Green Bay and Arizona last January. Come playoff time, Menefee said his fellow on-air personalities will often become fans of the teams that they predict on the show will win for credibility reasons, he said with a smile and because most of the Fox analysts had picked Green Bay in that game, the volume of voices rose throughout the Packers second-half comeback.

I do remember there was a lot of screaming in the studio during that game, Menefee said. From an entertainment standpoint, it was like a bunch of guys in a sports bar watching every play and cheering every touchdown or screaming, Oh my gosh, I cant believe that happened, rather than watching it dispassionately like we do a lot of other games.

Its the passionate times like those that have kept Menefee enjoying his job since his sportscasting career began at WISC-TV 3 in Madison, Wis., in the late 1980s when he would occasionally cover the Packers games at Milwaukee County Stadium.

Obviously hes come a long way since then, but the closer hes been able to observe the NFL the more intriguing it is for him to cover, especially when the league can produce the kind of drama it did in Green Bays playoff game last season.

Thats the beauty of the National Football League, Menefee said. The thing thats heartbreaking for one team is the reason that it makes you watch as a fan, because it comes down to sometimes one wild play at the end of a phenomenal game.

You can go back to, not only that playoff game, but if you ask somebody the game of the year in the regular season last year, I think a lot of people would tell you Detroit and Cleveland. Two of the worst teams in the league that no one ever would think would play a great game, but Matthew Stafford comes in (with an injured shoulder) and throws a touchdown pass with no time left.

Sometimes the magic of the NFL overcomes everything else, and I think that playoff game was a game that was magical is probably the best word to describe it to watch.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Foxs-Menefee-Sees-Packers-As-Serious-Contenders/5a446980-1f95-44b1-b232-a132b7fdc160 

I enjoyed reading this article. And I think I'm going to start watching the pregame show on Fox more often this year. Before, I would watch NFL Network, and still probably will. But I'll definitely keep an eye on Fox.
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
13 years ago
I have always been a fan of the FOX pregame show. It is just overall better quality television than the junk on CBS and ESPN.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
At first, I was thinking, man, get off our bandwagon media! Then reading the article, I see he's basically a Packers fan from the 80's, lol.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
13 years ago

At first, I was thinking, man, get off our bandwagon media! Then reading the article, I see he's basically a Packers fan from the 80's, lol.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Haha, yeah I was thinking the same thing.
UserPostedImage
LambeauEast
13 years ago
Any pre-game show that does not have Chris "the caricature of himself" Berman is watchable to me. Good read.
UserPostedImage
agopackgo4
13 years ago
I liked the fact that he did not completely set the Packers apart from the other good teams in the NFC. He put them in the same boat.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (22h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (22h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.