4PackGirl
13 years ago

Sonny, I was watching Packers before Wolf and White turned the team around. I grew up in MN and watched the Vikings lose super bowls. My number in high school was 44 after Chuck Forman. My grandmother liked the Packers because before there were Vikings, MN people cheered for the Packers. I learnd to love foot ball from her in the 70's.

I don't watch Football because I love 1 player. Football is the reason I watch. I will watch teams I have no interest in. I will cheer for the Packers even when they are losing. I like it better when they win, but I will not quit watching when they lose. That is not being a fan of football or the Packers. That is being a fan of winning. You need to associate yourself with winners or you lose interest. Which is why you need Favre to be great. You even turn him off when he sucks, refusing to watch.

I would rather cheer for an 0-16 Packers than shut off the game. I would sit until the final snap in a blow out loss in December game where it was 35 deg and raining than miss out on football. Because I am a PACKER FAN!! I would rather cheer for an 0-16 Packers than turn on them over 1 pretty good football player who couldn't close the deal. Who went out of his way to stick it to them. You know, Favre deserves fans like you.

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

holy crap - i really like you!!! 😉
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Shawn, the documentation is out there for everyone to see. I don't understand how a few people can still deny that he had any fault at all in those losses.

But you're right, it's a pointless battle. I want Favre to retire just so the fanatics will have no one to root for and disappear.

What was it about Favre that inspired this cult anyway? Why has no such cult ever sprung up around any of the other NFL greats?
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago

Shawn, the documentation is out there for everyone to see. I don't understand how a few people can still deny that he had any fault at all in those losses.

But you're right, it's a pointless battle. I want Favre to retire just so the fanatics will have no one to root for and disappear.

What was it about Favre that inspired this cult anyway? Why has no such cult ever sprung up around any of the other NFL greats?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

There is no doubt that Brett has made his fair share of errors throwing the football and cost the Packers games over the years... just as the same man won the Packers football games on the same types of decisions that worked.. it is his DNA as a football player... and as much as people want to say last season he changed.. he didn't... just the ball was rolling his way last season.. right up til the Saints game.

I just don't see the point of debating it endlessly.. as you say the documentation is out there to see.. the footage is there as well.. he is what he is.. a riverboat gambler of a player.. all in all the time.. sometimes he walked away with the chips and sometimes he gave them all way on a dead hand. The beauty is he keeps stepping up to the table time and time again... and time again. ;)

When Brett disappears another player will step forward and a new legion will form.. whether here in Green Bay or elsewhere... players come along and become the golden boy of the era.

It isn't just Brett that has created the a "cult"... before Brett there were guys like Elway, Marino, Montana, Kelly, etc.. those are just the QB's that come to mind quickly.. albeit it seems to be the QB's that get lofted up that high more so.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Were the hordes surrounding those men as unreasoning as those surrounding His Holy Favreness?
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago

Were the hordes surrounding those men as unreasoning as those surrounding His Holy Favreness?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Try telling a Elway fan that John was a role player in his superbowl victories sometime... it is just as entertaining as calling the Brett spades a spade.

Or a Montana fan.. or Marino in which fanatics truly believe he was never surrounded with the talent needed to win it all..

You see the nonsense in it all with player fanatics because of the direct ties to the Packers.. believe me, it has happened before and will happen again..

I truly believe as well, that it is magnified because of the age we live in today.. where when a player takes a dump ESPN and Twitter feeds color it news or important.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Gravedigga
13 years ago

It was cold out? Dude, this game was played INDOORS.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Yea but they crank that a/c up real high i heard
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Gravedigga
13 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Because he is the GREATEST of the greats. Marino was a better pure passer, Montana more accurate, Brady better in big games, Young a better scrambler and Manning better all around. I'll still take Favre on my team before any of them. QB ratings and wins isn't everything. There is a certain enjoyment people get from watching him play that is deeper than his 4th quarter qb rating and yards per game average.

Also, I was talking about the Giants game/int/loss not the rams and i was obviously exaggerating about shifting the blame off him.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
13 years ago
Any updates, e.g. showing up to camp or being beaten with a golf club by Deanna?
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago

being beaten with a golf club by Deanna?

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

That is just a nasty rumor.. not a nine iron but a freshly minted Wilson, K ball version. 😉
longtimefan
13 years ago
Brett did indeed lie 

After spending a few days in Minnesota, the events of the latest chapter in Favre's long-running soap opera now appear much clearer. Here is the story, from the inside.

Favre indeed sent text messages to teammates telling them he was forgoing his 20th season, citing his health as the reason. According to sources, while the texts seemed pretty convincing that he had made up his mind, the team wasn't letting their gunslinger slip off into the sunset without a fight.

In a two-pronged attack, the Vikings organization immediately jumped into action, offering him a much more lucrative package for this season and pleading with him to reconsider his decision. Simultaneously, veteran players immediately implored teammates to bombard Favre with texts or calls, asking him to give them one last shot at the Super Bowl.

As one source explained to me, Favre probably wasn't prepared for such an outpouring. When he left the Packers there wasn't much love, if any, from teammates asking him to reconsider. And there certainly wasn't any from Jets' players. But with this team, Favre was completely beloved, and for the first time, had an entire locker room figuratively pounding down his door like a husband begging his wife not to file for divorce.

"He's torn," said another member of the Vikings. "I think in his mind he was done, but loves the guys in this locker room and doesn't want to let them down. He didn't want to (come back), but I don't think he can say no to these guys. He's tortured."