Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Aaron Rodgers throws for 116 yards, 2 TDs in quarter

Associated Press

SEATTLE -- Aaron Rodgers continues to enjoy a summer carryover from his first Pro Bowl season for Green Bay.

Seattle's rollicking summer with new coach Pete Carroll just got its first big concern.

Rodgers was 8 for 11 for 116 yards and two touchdowns in one, easy quarter. Seattle's Matt Hasselbeck was 11 for 15 for 127 yards with a score in a redeeming first half, but the Seahawks may be without rookie sixth-overall pick Russell Okung for a while because of an injured right ankle sustained early in the Packers' 27-24 preseason victory Saturday night.

The left tackle who got a guaranteed $29 million this month from the Seahawks to replace retired All-Pro Walter Jones left for good after one drive with what coach Pete Carroll said could be a high ankle sprain. That injury sometimes involves two months or more of recovery time.

"It's pretty significant," Carroll said of Okung's absence. "Obviously we made it as big a priority as we could make it to get him."

Carroll said he didn't know how Okung got injured, only that it stings the entire team that is banking on improved offensive line play to lead a comeback season from 9-23 the last two years.

"That's a big loss if he can't come back," Carroll said. "We put a lot of time and effort to get this guy right and he's done everything we've asked of him."

After he missed the first eight days of training camp because of a contract impasse, the Seahawks gave Okung a six-year deal earlier this month that has a maximum value of $58 million.

Mansfield Wrotto, normally a guard, replaced him and played almost the rest of the game. Seattle already has backup tackle Ray Willis out while facing knee surgery.

Seattle's starting defense, which was ransacked most of last season, allowed 264 yards and 17 points to the Packers' first- and second-team offense in the first half.

Rodgers plus outstanding protection against a Seattle defense that's been searching for a pass rush for two years made the Packers' breezy opening drive look like a 7-on-7 drill. Or 7-on-none.

Green Bay's first play was an exquisitely thrown bootleg pass for 56 yards to a diving Greg Jennings, who beat first-round pick Earl Thomas. Rodgers had his second incompletion in 15 preseason throws when Seattle's Red Bryant deflected a pass at the line, but followed that with a 12-yard completion to Jermichael Finley on third down to the Seahawks 1. Then, Rodgers threw another bootleg pass to wide-open fullback John Kuhn for an easy touchdown.

Rodgers' second touchdown pass of the opening quarter came while victimizing Thomas again. Seattle's rookie ran up hard to join Lawyer Milloy in covering the same receiver, leaving tight end Finley alone down the middle for a 12-yard touchdown catch and a 14-7 lead for Green Bay. Milloy was yelling and pointing at Thomas after the play.

"We're tough to stop," Rodgers said. "We have a lot of playmakers."

Former New York Jets All-Pro Leon Washington, making his Seattle debut, scored his first touchdown since breaking two bones in his leg 10 months ago. And Hasselbeck, upstaged by new backup Charlie Whitehurst last week against Tennessee, established a rhythm he and Seattle's offense has mostly lacked in his last two injury-filled seasons while leading two touchdown drives in the opening half.

Whitehurst was 9 for 20 for 73 yards with two interceptions while playing the second half. He threw a go-ahead touchdown pass of 3 yards to Ben Obomanu late in the third quarter.

Washington bolted out of the tunnel to the opposite end zone while leading his new teammates onto the field before kickoff. Then he bolted through the line unlike any back Seattle has had in years on an 11-yard touchdown run that tied it at 14 early in the second quarter.

"An awesome feeling," the 2008 Pro Bowl kick returner said.

He brought the ball to the bench for a souvenir of his injury comeback. He was then mobbed by teammates and the always excited Carroll, who's been eager to see if Washington was ready to lead the competition to become Seattle's lead running back.

Washington said he was inspired by honoring his favorite uncle. George Mangrum died Friday in Jacksonville, Fla. He was in his early 50s.

"He's in heaven watching me, and I know he was watching me today," Washington said. "Plus coming back from injury, not playing football the last 10 months, there was a lot of juice for me."

The Packers had seven starters inactive -- six on defense. Aside from injuries to Clay Matthews, Al Harris, Atari Bigby and Nick Barnett, among others, Green Bay rested veterans Charles Woodson and Donald Driver.

A team spokesman said Woodson, last year's NFL defensive player of the year, has a mild hip flexor and wide receiver Driver has a sore calf.

Yet Green Bay's defense felt better than it did while allowing Cleveland to roll up 21 points and 204 yards in the opening half last week.

"We were pleased with the way we came out and started with everybody playing their role and doing their assignments, and we got that [opening] three-and-out," safety Nick Collins said. "We know that all of our players aren't here."

Copyright by STATS LLC and The Associated Press

UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
He had 3 incompletions. WTF was that all about. :)

Sorry. Sounds like the Packers looked pretty damn dominant, which is what I like to keep hearing. (Didn't see the game....was on the road with The Mom, taking her to visit her elder sister.) But I love hearing about the first team OL being dominant, even if it is against a Seattle.

:) 🙂 🙂
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Dulak
13 years ago
the funny thing is this is the same stuff that was happening last season with rodgers QB rating and the Oline -

I hope this is the true form we are seeing thou and last weeks game with the browns gave us a nice example since they blitzed alot.

Real excited about the pack this year.
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
I don't compare this line with the one from preseason last year. They are different. Cliffy was hurt a lot in the first half of the year and Tauscher was still rehabbing. Our backups are much better now with the addition of Bulaga and TJ Lang developing late last year.

Our second stringers were playing against the first stringers of Seattle and we were still doing pretty well moving the ball.

It was not until the 3rds got in that we saw some major breakdowns in protection. Barbie got beat for the fumble.

I have confidence in this line.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Rockmolder
13 years ago
I don't compare this line with anything just yet because we played the Browns and the Seahawks.

The Browns have some exotic blitzes, but their personel is just rubish in the front 7 (except from Shaun Rogers when he feels like playing). They traded their only OLB who could get some pressure away in Wimbley.

The Seahawks had been struggling to get pressure last year and the retirement of Kearney hasn't made them any better in that department.

I hope the Colts throw their starters out on defense for quite a while, with it being pre-season game 3 and all. See how we do against Freeney on one side and Mathis on the other.

And how Hughes will run circles around Giacomini, because I'm a vengeful ponce.
gbguy20
13 years ago

He had 3 incompletions. WTF was that all about. :)

Sorry. Sounds like the Packers looked pretty damn dominant, which is what I like to keep hearing. (Didn't see the game....was on the road with The Mom, taking her to visit her elder sister.) But I love hearing about the first team OL being dominant, even if it is against a Seattle.

:) 🙂 :)

"Wade" wrote:

Haha, 1 of those incompletions was a perfectly thrown pass that the receiver had ripped out of his hands. don't remember the other 2 though
CDNRodgersfan
13 years ago
Other day got into an argument that I wouldn't trade him for any other QB in the NFL and don't think was just being a homer. If you factor an age there's no other QB I'd rather have starting right now. The best part of having a great QB is you can start calling plays and looking good. Yesterday casually called the bomb to Jennings and td to Finley just before the snap as if it was obvious. It's fun being the cocky prick when you got a QB this good
Fan Shout
wpr (1m) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (5m) : *game plan
Martha Careful (36m) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (3h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
52m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.