Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Game Notes: Youth Makes Statement With Big Plays

By Mike Spofford
Posted Aug 26, 2010

When its all said and done following next weeks final preseason game, 27 of the players on the Packers 80-man roster will not make the team.

Its a harsh reality in the NFL, and the competition is fierce, especially among rookies trying to make it in the pros.

But even if there wont be room for all of them, several Green Bay rookies and first-year players gave the coaching and personnel staffs something to think about with some impact plays in the second half of the Packers 59-24 blowout of the Indianapolis Colts on Thursday night at Lambeau Field.

In chronological order, heres a rundown of those noteworthy moments:

--On the Colts first possession of the second half, with their No. 1 offense still in the game, rookie outside linebacker Frank Zombo chased down a scrambling Peyton Manning and while sacking him knocked the ball loose.

Fellow linebacker Robert Francois, who was on the Packers practice squad last year, scooped up the ball off one bounce and raced 35 yards all the way to the Indianapolis 2-yard line, setting up a short TD pass from Matt Flynn to John Kuhn.

This marked the third straight preseason game that Zombo, who started due to injuries at outside linebacker and continues to make a strong push for a roster spot, made a significant play. The non-drafted free agent from Central Michigan ended up playing basically the entire game on Thursday and led the defense with nine tackles.

--On the first snap of the fourth quarter, Flynn threw a short fade to rookie tight end Andrew Quarless in the end zone, and Quarless fought off being held by Colts safety Mike Newton and hauled it in for an 11-yard TD.

Quarless, a fifth-round draft pick who earlier on that drive had a 9-yard catch and finished with the two receptions for 20 yards, is fighting for a spot within a deep tight end group. The touchdown is the first in the preseason scored by a tight end other than starter Jermichael Finley, so it certainly helps the Penn State products cause.

--No. 3 quarterback Graham Harrell directed a 13-play, 90-yard TD drive that consumed 7 minutes, 18 seconds of the fourth quarter. The best Harrell might be able to do is make the practice squad, considering the Packers kept only two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster last year, but this drive was his most impressive work thus far for the former Texas Tech star.

He converted a third-and-1 with a sneak, then picked up a third-and-6 with a 7-yard pass to first-year receiver Jason Chery. On the next third down, he began a string of three straight completions, hitting rookie Chastin West for 15 yards, rookie Shawn Gore for 18 and a nice rollout throw, and then giving running back Kregg Lumpkin a screen pass that he took for 22 yards and a first-and-goal.

Harrell finished 4-of-5 for 62 yards on the night after going just 4-of-8 for 36 yards in the first two games.

--Chery, a non-drafted free agent in 2009 from Louisiana-Lafayette who was signed after training camp began this year, has been able to display his speed in practice, and he finally got to do so in a game. With just over 5 minutes remaining, Chery took Pat McAfees 50-yard punt at his own 25-yard line, had some daylight along the left side and turned on the jets.

Chery went 75 yards, for the most part untouched, for the score. After the game, he said he thought about looking back but figured he shouldnt or it would have slowed him down. Truthfully, it wouldnt have mattered with how quickly he blazed by everyone.

I said just keep on going and see if I can reach the end zone, and once I reached there, it was like a dream come true, Chery said. Its very big, but at the same time theyre still going to wait and see what youre going to do the next play. Theyll say you did a good job, but now are you going to continue doing it? Its consistency.

There was a flag on the play, and Chery admitted he was nervous when the officials were huddled in a discussion. But the penalty was on the Colts, and his touchdown stood. Considering he got a late start and stands just 5-foot-10 and 185 pounds, Chery may be the longest of longshots, but he got a chance to show a little something.

How could you not be excited about that young man? Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. He gets an opportunity and well definitely give him some more opportunities, I can promise you that, as we move forward into this next week.

--Last but not least, rookie cornerback Sam Shields snagged an interception for the second straight game. With less than a minute left, Shields made a very athletic play, leaping high to get his hands on Curtis Painters pass intended for receiver Dudley Guice. He brought it down and held on as he crashed to the turf.

Shields converted from receiver to cornerback last year in his final season at the University of Miami and said when he was first learning the position, he kept falling down trying to backpedal. But now hes thrust himself into the competition not just for a roster spot but for the critical nickel corner position with the instincts and athletic ability hes shown.

He came into the game Thursday late in the first quarter with the No. 1 defense in the nickel, and Peyton Manning targeted him right away, firing a pass over the middle to Pierre Garcon for 24 yards. But Shields held his own after that, finishing with three passes defensed, including his second preseason interception.

I have to do more, Shields said matter-of-factly, not believing hes won a roster spot yet, even if his odds keep getting better. When the next practice comes, I have to keep working hard. We have another game Thursday. If Im here, I just have to make some more plays next Thursday.

The if Im here reference reflects the knowledge all the young players have that the first roster reduction will occur sometime between Friday and Tuesday. The Packers must cut five players to get down to 75, and then the roster must be reduced to 53 players on Sept. 4, two days after the preseason finale at Kansas City.

One, almost two

Rookie safety Morgan Burnett isnt fighting for a roster spot; hes already a starter on defense. But he is trying to carry over his collegiate success to the pro game as quickly as possible, and he took a big step forward in that regard on Thursday.

Burnett, who had 14 interceptions in three seasons at Georgia Tech, got his first preseason interception when he picked off Manning in the second quarter. Burnett stepped in front of a short pass intended for Garcon and returned it 11 yards to the Indianapolis 18.

That was almost his second interception of the game, actually. In the first quarter, on the Colts second drive, Burnett ranged over to his left on a deep pass intended for Garcon, leaped in the air and got his arms on the ball. But Garcon managed to tip it away and it fell incomplete.

Im thinking, OK, I got one, but then I dropped it, and I have to make best of those opportunities because you never know when theyre going to come around, Burnett said. Lucky for me it came around in the same game in the same half and I made the best of that one.

Ball-security issues

If theres been one glaring negative on offense for the Packers through the first three preseason games, its been the ball security of the running backs.

On Thursday night, both Ryan Grant and Brandon Jackson fumbled the ball, with Jacksons being recovered by the Colts at the Indianapolis 6-yard line and taking away a great scoring opportunity. Those were the third and fourth fumbles by the running back group in the preseason, with Grant losing a fumble in the opener against Cleveland on the offenses first snap, and Kregg Lumpkin also fumbling once against the Browns, though his (like Grants against the Colts) was recovered by the Packers.

We had the ball on the ground too many times, so we need to eliminate that from our play, McCarthy said. And its kind of gone on a little too much, and Im talking about in the practices and so far in the preseason. We train it every day and we need to get rid of that. So thats the only thing I was really disappointed in offensively.

The return units, which were guilty of two turnovers in the first two games, nearly had another as well. Punt returner Will Blackmon had a punt go right through his hands on his own 11-yard line late in the first half, but he recovered it himself.

Back in action

Lumpkin hadnt practiced or played since injuring his hamstring in the Browns game two weeks ago, but he was back on the field Thursday to continue his fight for a roster spot. He posted 26 rushing yards on nine carries, including a 1-yard TD run to cap the 90-yard drive in the fourth quarter. He also had a 22-yard catch-and-run on a screen pass on that drive, giving him 48 yards from scrimmage in the game.

Similarly, rookie running back Quinn Porter didnt practice all week after spraining an ankle last Saturday in Seattle, but Porter suited up and played as well. He had three carries for 12 yards but then left the game with a knee sprain when he was upended near the goal line.

Injury/participation update

In addition to Porter, other players who were injured during the game were cornerback Brandon Underwood (shoulder), linebacker Desmond Bishop(hamstring), and linebacker Cyril Obiozor (quad). Only Obiozor was able to return to the game.

Sitting out for the Packers were receiver Brett Swain (knee), linebackers Clay Matthews (hamstring) and Brad Jones (shoulder), offensive linemen Bryan Bulaga (hip flexor) and Allen Barbre (back), defensive end Cullen Jenkins (calf), receiver Greg Jennings (back), and the three PUP players safety Atari Bigby (ankle), cornerback Al Harris (knee) and running back James Starks (hamstring).

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (14h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (15h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (21h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (21h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.