Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Green Bay Packers' Aaron Rodgers shows MVP potential

BY PETE DOUGHERTY PDOUGHER@GREENBAYPRESSGAZETTE.COM AUGUST 28, 2010

Yes, its a little early to hand out awards for the 2010 NFL season, and this preseason will be long forgotten in two weeks, when many promising developments in training camp begin succumbing to the reality of the 16-game schedule.

But theres also no denying that the Green Bay Packers quarterback has followed up his strong 2009 season with an elite performance through three preseason games. Considering he plays the games marquee position for a team with a promising outlook in 2010, thats the stuff of which MVP candidates are made.

Im feeling sharp, for sure, Rodgers said Thursday night after putting up a 124.9-point passer rating in the Packers 59-24 preseason win over Indianapolis. When Im playing well its a combination of a number of things. Mentally Im in a good place, the (pass) protection is solid, and theres a rhythm with the play calling.

I think weve got all those three things. I felt real confident with what Ive been doing, protection has been excellent, thats important. And the play calling has allowed myself and our offense to get in a good rhythm. Mike (McCarthy) definitely deserves credit for that.

As of Saturday afternoon, Rodgers ranked just ahead of New Englands Tom Brady for the top passer rating in the preseason (141.2 points to 140.6 points) and figures to remain there after the 10 games scheduled for Saturday night because Brady already has played this week.

In three games, Rodgers has played 14 series and put up points on eight of them (seven touchdowns and one field goal). Two of the non-scoring drives ended with a lost fumble by a halfback and another when McCarthy tried to convert a fourth down rather than kick a 40-yard field goal, something he likely would have tried in a regular-season game.

So, the Packers have punted on only three of the 14 series with Rodgers at quarterback, and only one of those series was a three-and-out.

Besides the numbers, there also was Rodgers lone hurry-up possession of the preseason, last week against Indianapolis. Taking over at his 22 with 1 minute, 33 seconds to play in the first half and two timeouts, Rodgers threw seven straight completions, minus one spike to stop the clock, and put a touchdown on the board with 3 seconds left.

The 2-minute drill he has a good command of those situations, said Joe Philbin, the Packers offensive coordinator. His mind with time management is very good, when to call time out, when to (spike), hes usually beating us as coaches to the punch with those things. Hes got a good football mind, situational mind, because he works at it. Hes been playing well.

Still, its a ways from a strong preseason to contending for an MVP. Last year, Rodgers also had an impressive preseason (147.9 passer rating, six touchdown passes and no interceptions), and while he went on to finish fourth in the NFL in passer rating in the regular season, he was not on the short list of MVP candidates. Indianapolis Peyton Manning won the award in a landslide (39 of 50 votes), with New Orleans Drew Brees (7), San Diegos Philip Rivers (2) and Minnesotas Brett Favre (1) the only others receiving votes.

Still, Rodgers plays the right position to get on the short list this year: Seven of the last 10 MVP awards have gone to a quarterback, including 2003, when Manning and former Tennessee quarterback Steve McNair shared the award.

Hes also reached a ripening age at 26 he turns 27 in December and in his third season as NFL starter. Favre won his first MVP at age 26, Manning was 27 when he won his first, and Brady was 30 when he won his lone MVP.

Rodgers also has an improving arsenal of weapons. Most notably, tight end Jermichael Finley has taken off (12 receptions for a 13.6-yard average in limited playing time) and has been the teams second-best player in training camp, behind only Rodgers. Along with Greg Jennings, that gives Rodgers two receiving threats that defenses will have to account for, which will make receivers Donald Driver, James Jones and Jordy Nelson that much more difficult to defend.

I feel better this year, Rodgers said. I like the identity weve established. Last year we made a bunch of big plays in preseason, but I dont think we were as consistent game in and game out. You look at the stats (from the 09 preseason) Cleveland we did some good things, Buffalo I only had one incompletion, Arizona. But this year I feel like we have more of an identity. Were going to find ways to get the ball to 88 (Finley). Were going to find ways to get the ball to Donald (Driver) and Greg (Jennings) and JJ (Jones) and Jordy (Nelson). I think we just have a better direction.

Rodgers and McCarthy also are counting on starting the season much better than in 09, when sacks were a major issue in the teams 4-4 record halfway through the season. Rodgers bore responsibility for occasionally holding the ball too long, but the Packers also had problems at both tackles, where Chad Clifton missed four of the first seven games on the left side because of a recurring ankle injury, and Mark Tauscher didnt become the full-time starter until the final seven games after coming back in midseason from knee reconstruction surgery.

This year, Clifton and Tauscher have been healthy and practicing since the start of offseason practices, and at ages 34 and 33, respectively, have looked good in training camp. Last week they held up well against as good a pass-rush duo as theyll face all season in Indianapolis defensive ends Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.

If you look at us starting the season, I feel good about Chad being healthy, Mark being in there, Rodgers said. But two guys Daryn (Colledge) is Mr. Consistency, hes done a good job for us when hes played left guard but I dont think (right guard) Josh Sitton gets enough credit, hes played excellent. And (center) Scott Wells, after sitting last year for a few weeks, hes as consistent as they come but hes also really smart. He takes a lot of the pressure off me to make protection calls.

The Packers might need an MVP-type season from Rodgers to advance deep into the playoffs this year, depending on how much their defense improves when it is finally healthy, most notably getting injured key starters Clay Matthews and Cullen Jenkins back for the start of the regular season.

Last year the defense finished No. 2 in the NFL in yards allowed and No. 7 in points allowed, but it had well documented problems against the best quarterbacks it faced. Favre (twice), Pittsburghs Ben Roethlisberger and Arizonas Kurt Warner (in the playoffs) put up an average of 37.8 points and 439.3 yards in those four Packers losses.

This year, Rodgers might have to win some shootouts against quarterbacks such as Washingtons Donovan McNabb, Favre (twice), Dallas Tony Romo, Atlantas Matt Ryan and New Englands Brady.

Maybe so, Rodgers said. We talked about it on the sideline (Thursday night). I was actually talking to some of the defensive guys about that. Were a little undermanned right now with some guys we need to get healthy. (But) we feel like if we get in a shootout like this we can put up some points. We dont want to every week, but we have the kind of offense where we can score in bunches.

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Rodgers problem last year against Favre was Favre had protection, Rodgers didn't. With this improved OL, Rodgers may have a slight edge with us now having the receiver edge (due to injuries to the Vikings).

The OL failed us again in the Playoffs as Rodgers had an outstanding showing, throwing for 4 TDs and running for another before taking that final hit that cost us the game.

So, if the OL shows significant improvement, Rodgers has as good a shot as anyone for the MVP.

I don't like using preseason as an example and would rather use last season's results as a precursor to this season. He threw for 30 TDs and ran in another 5 while tying for league low 7 INTs.

I like what Rodgers said about having more an identity. I take stuff like that (and morale) seriously. Finley should help his MVP run as well.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ή πŸ‡²πŸ‡² πŸ‡¦πŸ‡·
Kingdom22
13 years ago
Rodgers will be making it to 4,000 yards this season. Favre will not be having the season that they think they are, this time Rodgers will be beating Favre twice since we get a better O Line. All I am worried about is the Secondary, however, Burnett looks good for a rookie. I predict Rodgers will win the MVP this year.
blank
zombieslayer
13 years ago
I'd much rather see Rodgers throw 30+ TDs than 4000 yards.

Yards are stats. Points win games.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ή πŸ‡²πŸ‡² πŸ‡¦πŸ‡·
go.pack.go.
13 years ago

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Good point.
UserPostedImage
tonyagnese
13 years ago
GREAT STORY!
blank
Tezzy
13 years ago

"go.pack.go." wrote:

Good point.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

So if Rodgers throws for 80 yards on a drive and we punch it in on a 1 yard run then you are saying that the yards are just stats? Yes, yards don't paint a complete picture, but I don't dismiss all relevance to the stat. It's the same way that if Rodgers throws for 5 TDs and we beat the opponent by 5 scores, then those extra TDs didn't have any relevance on the outcome. I'm not debating the point, because I understand that viewpoint, just not one I share. A stat I would like to see, and I don't believe I have ever seen it, even on pro football reference. % of drives that end in points. I'd like to see those kinds of numbers for QBs, if anyone can point me somewhere that keeps that stat, it would be cool.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? πŸ₯Ί I think that means you missed more than half of them 😒
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead πŸ€ͺ
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (22h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright Β© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comβ„’. All Rights Reserved.