Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Green Bay Packers become Mike McCarthy's second family 
BY MIKE VANDERMAUSE MVANDERMAUSE@GREENBAYPRESSGAZETTE.COM AUGUST 31, 2010

Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy is looking forward to having dinner Wednesday night with his oldest daughter, Alex, on the day before the Packers play the Chiefs in their final preseason game.

Alex will be a freshman this fall at Kansas in nearby Lawrence, and McCarthy said he will relish the time he can spend away from football, if only for a few hours.

Im kind of excited to go down to Kansas and see her dorm room and things like that, McCarthy said. This is neat.

McCarthy works in an all-consuming profession and has learned that if hes not careful, it can swallow him and his family up.

You feel guilty about the time youre away from your family, he said. It gets harder the older you get.

Its a selfish profession, it really is.

In his younger years as an assistant coach, McCarthy admits he struggled to separate his work and home life. Hes getting more adept at that and thinks it makes him a better coach.

Theres always something for me to do at work that I think would probably make me better, but you can also overdo it, and be paralysis from analysis, too, he said. Ive seen that go on.

While McCarthy isnt a micro-manager, he holds his staff and players accountable.

I think thats what I do, which makes me able to go home and sleep better at night, he said. And then when Im with my family, its all family.

Thats not to say McCarthy has mellowed as he prepares for his fifth season as head coach. Some of his angry outbursts during training camp could be heard loud and clear all the way across Ray Nitschke Field and into the stands. He is a stickler for detail, and when things arent performed up to those high standards, players would be wise to reach for earplugs.

Coach likes practice to look a certain way, quarterback Aaron Rodgers said. When it doesnt, were going to hear about it.

I can read his body language pretty well and know when hes about to have an outburst. And then sometimes I try to sneak in there and maybe say something before he does so he doesnt have to use any colorful metaphors with fans watching.

Linebacker Nick Barnett thinks McCarthys anger has been evident more often this year, and for a good reason.

I think hes a little hungrier this year, Barnett said. Its that time. I think he knows he has a talented team. Its his responsibility for us to get where were supposed to be. Hes to the point right now where he wants to get a championship.

A little yelling wont change the players attitude toward McCarthy. They respect and appreciate him because hes consistent and approachable.

If youve got consistency from your head man, thats big, said defensive lineman Ryan Pickett.

Hes cool. Hes a players coach. Players love him. You can go to him, talk to him about anything. You can joke with him. Hes going to ask you about your family, kids.

Barnett played his first three seasons for Mike Sherman and said McCarthy is more connected to the players.

Ive had the pleasure of having talks with him every now and then out there on the field, just talking about life, his family and where he lives and that type of stuff, said Barnett of McCarthy. Cool guy. You can relate to him and you can feel comfortable talking to him. Hopefully that never changes. When Sherman was here, you didnt really feel like you could have a conversation with him. It feels good to have a coach you can talk to.

Rodgers wouldnt even consider going to McCarthys office to talk because that setting is too formal.

Hes definitely still the big boss, but weve developed a good friendship that allows us to talk a little more evenly, Rodgers said.

We talk and see eye to eye. Theres no looking up to the throne.

If the players like McCarthy, the feeling is mutual. Its no coincidence McCarthy relates more to his players now than in his first season in 2006.

I really like the people on our team, McCarthy said. I know more about them. I know the players better than I did back then. Any head coach goes through that. Youre so focused in the early years of getting your structure and program the way you want it, youre not as interested in what they think.

McCarthy is a big believer in reaching out to his players.

I think that makes me a better coach, and I think that it makes them better players, he said. Weve been able to grow with some of these players over the last 4 years.

McCarthy is ready to go to battle with these players, even if he occasionally has to raise his voice.

I would take this team anywhere, play anybody, anytime, he said.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

UserPostedImage
shield4life
13 years ago
Very good read, glad to have him as a coach.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
RaiderPride
13 years ago
There are many good coaches out there who have be given the lable of "A Good Coach Who Does Not Have What It Takes To Win It All."

Mike has a team that on paper should get there. If they do it will be the coaching that is the difference between getting there and not getting there.

It will not be the players. It will not be that he did not have the tools, it will be that he was out coached.

If he wants to avoid that lable, this team needs to go to the promised land. This year.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
13 years ago
There are, in my opinion, two main facets to coaching. There is the coaching that takes place to prepare the team during the offseason, training camp, and week to week, and then there is game day "coaching", i.e. executing from the sidelines. So far I would say that McCarthy and co. have done an excellent job with the former this year. Rodgers, as a prime example, seems to have quickened his release and the offense as a whole has sped up to address the sack issues from last season. We frankly haven't seen many adjustments the D has made yet. The growth of the D combined with McCarthy's management of the games will help answer the question posed by RaiderPride.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (18h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (21h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.